Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The wonders of technology, home security system

I am in absolute awe of the technology that is available today. Yesterday, we had a five camera security system with a DVR attached installed at the house. The DVR continuously record all five cameras for over a month. Now, granted that all of this is not new, but the amazing thing is I can view all cameras live on the internet as well as on my Iphone. It is absolutely amazing, the American flag mounted on the side of the house is visible blowing in the wind. The five cameras cover the entire perimeter of the house and one even points towards the river and covers the boat dock. I was skeptical at first so I had Cathy walk out on the porch and wave, which I could watch in real-time with great clarity while I am at the desk at work. Cool!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glad you got it, that is a nice system indeed. We love ours, Sue checks it all the time to see if the house is still there..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Bingo,
Can you see me now?
Chuck
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Do the girls know about the cameras in their bedrooms?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Does Cathy know it is just a guise and that you really wanted it to see what she does all day long?

I can vision it now. Cathy steps out, you call her phone and ask, "Where are you going."

Then the fight starts.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Outside perimeter only Jim!! Inside is standard monitoring system (door and window sensors, motion detectors, etc.) with call-in to emergency providers.
Bingo
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Ya know Bingo, when at work you're suppose to be working, not watching Cathy on the Dock (LOL) The Devil made me post this
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Already did that this morning Wayne. Oldest daughter took the dog out for morning duties, and I could not resist calling and telling DW that Amanda had the dog outside. Multi-tasking at work now includes watching Cathy on the dock and in the pool!! I can also make sure she is not doing the stuff that she is not supposed to be doing because of her back yet still insists on doing!! Instead of Big Brother it is now DH watching!! Hee Hee!!
Bingo
Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Very nice and amazing technology for sure!
Glad you have that, at least if something happens while you’re gone you will have a record of it. Is it recorded only on the DVR in your home or can it be recorded somewhere else remotely as well?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The DVR will be relocated to a hidden location in the house, the initial installation was to put it in plain site, I told Cathy, that is definitely not going to work. I haven't checked on the possibility of remote off-site storage, but that is an excellent idea. Of course, if they are brave enough to venture inside, the interior alarm will be triggered along with a call to the local police.
Bingo
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Please tell us a little more about your system. What brand is it and how does it connect to the internet?
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The camera and DVR system are from Everfocus. They have a web-site. The connection to the internet requires a ported modem or router that is IP addressable. The software is all web-based and each installation has their own web address that is protected by login and password. The cameras are day and night (infra-red) outdoor cameras that are the dome type shown on the Interfocus web-site. We do not have the HD installation, but rather each camera has a resolution of 704 x 480 pixels. We had everything installed by a local dealer which included the coax runs to the cameras, camera installs, hardware and software set-up, etc.
Bingo
Old 08-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #13
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
These described systems are interesting, and perhaps useful. But for Security?

Remember that even in the city, a home, or even, a business "security system" when properly working, will require from 20 minutes to much more for first reponders to arrive. I know the Security system providers say they have "instant response" but that is their response, not the response time from the police, sheriff or Fire Dept. In rural areas the reponse time can be over an hour (as it is on our ranch).

I suggest that we all have proper insurance and then determine what level and what kind of security we need when and where ever we happen to be.

Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good post Will, but studies back the preventive nature of visible security, Bingo can also check in on the property any time, and if needed have a recorded record of any indecent. Knowing Bingo, I would put money on him being covered adequately.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Another consideration on the security aspect, is power. Cut the electrical power to the house and all goes dark unless you have a back-up battery powered inverter. It tickled me in the older days when people would put in an alarm system that "called" the provider. First thing known to do by thieves was to cut the phone line. Then the installation began including a very loud outside siren. The thieves then began cutting phone lines, and smashing the meter on a house to disconnect power. Security vamped up to include RF Transmitters backed up by a battery system, small in capacity, just enough to make the transmissions.

I chuckle sometimes on all the switches and gadgets that are placed on windows with power back-up systems. Once a window is broken/opened, the alarm triggers. Five seconds later the thief is in the house. 30 seconds later he has moved throughout and scoped out his best take. He proceeds to that object, grabs it or rips it from the wall and doesn't care about wire because he can replace them, and is out the door (or window if the door has a key deadbolt). It all happens in 2 minutes or less, five if he is greedy. Once the window is breached, the only thing necessary for an alarm is a motion detector. Those few seconds that the motion detector trips the alarm versus a window switch is not going to make much difference in reaction time. Don't forget to include the time that the monitoring company calls the house to see if you are alright, unless you have set up immediate response to police.

I'm wondering what today's technology is. I have not kept up with it since a long time ago. My personal opinion on a deterrent is bright lights and loud noises. Thieves hate them.

I'm ramblin'
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #16
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Posted by Ozz: "Bingo can also check in on the property any time, and if needed have a recorded record of any indecent."

Indecent? Is that a Freudian Slip Ozz???
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

Posted by Ozz: "Bingo can also check in on the property any time, and if needed have a recorded record of any indecent."

Indecent? Is that a Freudian Slip Ozz???
Ha! Spell check is not all encompassing, is it?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #18
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rancher Will

These described systems are interesting, and perhaps useful. But for Security?

Remember that even in the city, a home, or even, a business "security system" when properly working, will require from 20 minutes to much more for first reponders to arrive. I know the Security system providers say they have "instant response" but that is their response, not the response time from the police, sheriff or Fire Dept. In rural areas the reponse time can be over an hour (as it is on our ranch).

I suggest that we all have proper insurance and then determine what level and what kind of security we need when and where ever we happen to be.

One nice thing is a visual verification as back-up to the security system. In our area there are so many false alarms that the county is not too anxious to respond to a home alarm any more and I have been told they will get bumped for other calls. If you can verify with a visual however, it is my understanding that you can call and say I have cameras and this is a valid alarm. Some areas this has to be monitored too so the alarm company is reporting it and not just the homeowner.

As far as technology, it is amazing. I just installed a home system and it is great - DSC brand. What I really like is besides battery back-up for the system, it also has GSM so if phone lines and power are cut, it will still get out a call via the cell feauture.

One thing you might consider on the hard drive... I have my back-ups running to drives in a safe that has power. You can either run ethernet to the safe, or just use a powerline adapter to communicate with the drive via the outlet. This is one way I secure my back-ups from bad guys and from fire damage hopefully in that event.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #19
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I still think you need a gun turret by each camera, there is nothing as embarrassing as having your security system stolen..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Our security camera system at the office has paid for itself already. A delivery truck backed into our rear overhead door and drove off. I was able to identify the truck by looking at the video. I had the manager of the trucking firm come to my office to see the video for himself. They replaced the door.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote