Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Best place to home base?

I've got a question for all the full timers and long timers. What states are best to use as a home base and can you steer us to some web sites to do research? Thanks

NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Jim, I posted this a while back. Stumbled on it somehow...

http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/retiree_map/
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Thanks, Dave
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Jim, When we researched it South Dakota seemed best, no state tax, low vehicle and medical insurance rates, no vehicle inspections. We went through http://www.myhomeaddressinc.com/ They have been extremely helpful it is in a small town, less than 600 people, in a small county with very friendly and helpful people.

jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

I've got a question for all the full timers and long timers. What states are best to use as a home base and can you steer us to some web sites to do research? Thanks
We can't recommend Escapees highly enough. It is an RV club specifically for full-timers based in Texas. Texas has no State Income Tax. You can get your drivers license in Texas (just have to go to the nearest city to you in Texas). You can license your vehicles (very low rate). You can vote through Texas. They have mail forwarding. We have been Escapees for years and the State of Texas couldn't be more accommodating. We do all of our licensing, etc. on line. You can check it out at: http://www.escapees.com/Wannabes/Support.asp

We ran into a man who told us about it in 1994, but we didn't follow up until a few years later. We were sorry we didn't join earlier.
Dick and Sharon Taylor
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

We've been members of the Escapees RV Club for all of our nine years of full timing. They are a great covering for full timers. They have gone to bat for us in political battles when legislation was coming down the pike that would hinder RVers who full time. Check them out at www.escapees.com and click on Wannabes. They are the only group that I'm aware of that does what they do for us.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Jim, we chose South Dakota and Alternative Resources. You can find more info at www.alternativeresources.com. We have been with them for several years and have been very happy with the service. We are also members of Escapees, but thought SD was a better fit for us.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Jim, Can't answer your question from personal experience. But. OUr neighbors did the research before fulltiming and they established their home residence in South Dakota after extensive research.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yup.. Alternative Resources for us too. Five years and the lowest insurance, 0-taxes, low vehicle registration we could find and only 3% tax on new truck and Tana... After five years we aare still very happy and the people are great to work with.. We are also Escapees and know that they have an excellent service but we saved a lot more with South Dakota. South Dakota worked best for us since our original home was in Minnesota and we travel to SD a lot.... Best of luck chosing the place that is best for you but fell free to ask any questions you might have.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #10
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
We chose South Dakota also and use Americas Mailbox in Rapid City, both excellent choices! We visited AM while we were there and the crew, the owner and the operation are the best. Also visited my new insurance man and he was a great guy, very helpful and knew what was happening!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We are Escapees also, but don't use their mail service. We have a friendly, small town postmaster that works with us. Our home site is a physical address. Texas fits for us.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
Hi, all,

Germane to this topic, if one were to sign up with either Escapees or Alternative Resources, do TX & SD require a vehicle to be PHYSICALLY in those states to register them there? Do I have to be there to get a DL?

I currently live in CA; will be retiring in April, 2010 and going on the road. We plan to purchase our 5th wheel before mid-december, by which time we have to be out of the house that just went into escrow today.

I've been told that we can take physical possession of the 5th wheel in OR (no sales tax) and register it and TV there (much lower fees than CA). But, the 5th wheel can't legally be back in CA for one year. We intend to live in the RV while I finish my employment here.
I've also heard that CA has a "rat on your neighbor reward" program that adds disincentive to trying this.

So, I'm hopeful that there's a legal way out of this quandry - other than simply paying the rip-off fees here.

Thanks,
-Bob
kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jim and Vicki, ya should have asked us last night, at present we are with Escapees Mail Forwarding Service but as soon as the house sells we will do Alternative Resources http://www.alternativeresources.net/ This link should work, I was just there...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kipandbob

Hi, all,

Germane to this topic, if one were to sign up with either Escapees or Alternative Resources, do TX & SD require a vehicle to be PHYSICALLY in those states to register them there? Do I have to be there to get a DL?
Thanks,
-Bob
We are lifetime members of the Escapees RV Club and have been registered in Texas since 2000. We spent over a year with one of our vehicles registered and not inspected. Why didn't we get it inspected? It never went into Texas but it was still validly registered and licensed in Texas. So you see, you can register your vehicles by mail and not have to be present with the vehicles. However, when you bring the vehicles into the state, you have a certain amount of time (I think it's 30 days) to get them inspected. If you never bring them in you don't need to get them inspected.

For driver's licenses, you must be present for the initial license then the renewals can be done on-line, except for CDLs which must be done in person initially and for renewals.

The Escapee Mail Service, to us, is the best. We've talked to Alternative Resources and their service, at the time, was not what we desired. The Escapees Mail Service and its employees are all bonded so you can rest assured that your mail is well taken care of.

Only you can decide what you can do that fits what you want to do. Don't let any of us sway your decision. Weigh all the facts then make your decision.

Orv & Marge
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote