Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
ckels
Established Member

M.O.C. #8244
New Montana

New owner here. We picked up our 2980RL a few days ago, and there were a couple of minor problems at delivery. One was the blowing of the Landing gear fuse (I have seen other discussions of this)and the fridge does not work on AC. (works fine on Gas. The cord is plugged in) I didnt discover this one till after I got it home. The Dealer also told me that the front clearance lights were not working, and they had to run a new ground to fix the problem.

There is a t-handled rod coming thru the under belly of the rig, and the handle is just inside and to the front of the left front tire. I cannot find any explanation of what this is for. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

ckels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rod probably the galley tank pull.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
First of all, welcome to the MOC.

I'm afraid I can't help you with your landing gear or refrigerator issues. However ... the t-handled rod coming from the underbelly and located in front of the tire is your galley dump valve. This is usually discovered when the new owne panics when he can't get his kitchen sink to drain, so you're actually ahead of the game. Don't know why Keystone doesn't put a sticker in the basement or above it on the outside ... like they do to alert owners to torque the wheels!

Someone will help you with your other problems before too long.

Enjoy your new toy ...

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Congratulations on the new Montana, you will really enjoy it. We blew the landing gear fuse the first time we retracted the legs. My solution was to raise the legs until the fuse blew, replace the fuse, then extend the legs down about 1/4" and paint a line on the leg. We never retract the legs past the mark and have not had any more fuses blow.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sounds like you got the info on the T-handle and read about the fuse, so all I have left to do is just say, "Welcome to the Forum." The fridge is a dealer issue.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The old "t-handle between the tires"! First of all, welcome to the forum. At least you found it like was mentioned earlier. Most of the time the galley(kitchen) sink fills up and it won't drain. Why? It's on a separate dump handle-- the exact one you have found! I also have a 2980 but ours is a 2004 model and when I bought it from a private owner that was one item he definately let us know about! He told us he took the sink apart and plunged the thing and all with no results then got on the cell phone and called a friend and found out about the "hidden t-handle". Still haven't figured out why Keystone didn't put it with the other two but who am I, just a consumer not an engineer! The rest of your problems sounds like you've already been informed on and will be covered by the dealer! You've got the right idea, however---- if you have a problem or question on the unit just put it on here and I'll put money on it that you'll get an answer for the problem within two or three replies at the most. This place is a multitude of great answers. You can always use the search engine also to find out if it has been asked before and normally it has! Good luck with your 2980 and happy camping!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
If you found the T handle before you used the RV then you are way ahead of the learning curve!!! Go to the head of the class.
Probably over half of the people on the forum had to learn the hard way or was taught by dealer or previous owner about the imfamous T Handle.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Blowing a landing gear fuse is like an initiation...everybody does it.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
ckels
Established Member

M.O.C. #8244
Wow! Thanks to all for the good info. I didnt want to pull on that handle without knowing what it was; thought maybe the bottom would fall out or somethin..

I dont understand why there isnt a label or some notification somewhere describing what the handle is for; now I know why I have two grey water tanks. Am I correct in assuming that one is for the shower, and the other is for the sinks? If that's the case, why 2 seperate tanks? And it seems that the Landing Gear fuse problem has been around for a while: plenty long enough for the Manufacturer to have fixed it by now. Keystone, are you listening? Hellooooooo??

Thanks to all for the great responses. You make it a lot easier on the newbies by preventing us from learning the hard way.
ckels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I think, could be wrong, that the t handle thingy for the second gray/galley tank is where it is, cause that is WHERE the tank is. That tank is for the kitchen sink, aka, galley. It is placed near the kitchen somewhere, or has been in the past, design and placement are AWAYS subject to a moments change with no notice by Keystone, that is called "running changes".

You have black tank, around 38 gallons, gray tank - - the shower, and in many cases the bath sink, and the galley tank - - the kitchen.

They may have increased the size of the tanks, I have not looked at the specs in a long while.

As far as notification, well, what can we say?? Has been suggested, has not happened. ?????

Congrats on your new toy, enjoy it every chance you get!

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Mrs CountryGuy is right. You have 3 tanks Black, Gray (shower and bath/bedroom sink) and Galley (kitchen sink). All were the same size about 38 gallons. This may have changed with the 2008/ 10 year anniversary models. The handle for the galley tank is there because the tank is there and is plumbed from that side of the sewer drain. With the Galley and Gray being separate, it gives you more capacity than only one 38 gallon tank, and allows for different life styles. You can purchase a fitting for the sewer, that has a drain handle/shutoff so you can open both gray and galley and use both as one.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We bought a 3075RL last summer. Our fridge worked sporatically on AC for no apparent reason. I won't go into the long story of how we solved it, but eventually we found that the fridge was wired into the wrong circuit. The switch that controls the ceiling fan/light also controled the AC outlets in the living room slide and the outlet in the rear of the coach. The fridge had also been wired into that circuit. Switch on/fridge worked. Switch off/fridge switched to gas. Dealer corrected it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote