Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Holding Tanks

We have minor problems with 2 of holding tanks. The black water (toilet) registers 3/4 to full all the time, and our (gally) measures 1/4 to 1/2 when we have emptied them completely. We have even bought the flush adapter to flush the whole system which we did and still no success in fixing the holding tank gauge inside. We have not had any problems camping but when dry camping you always have doubts on useage. Please feel free to email me at wdanielsc@juno.com if you have any suggestions or at this site. Thanks Bill

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bill, you probably have foreign material stuck on the sensors. You need to remember those lights are just an "idea" of what's going on. Don't rely on them completely. Each time you dump your black tank be sure you use the sewer flush and flush that black tank well. Really well. For a minimum of 30 minutes. An hour is even better.

You are going to have a lot of folks chiming in about chemical use in the black tank. Calgon is by far the way to go. Keeps everything slick so it slides out. We can't get Calgon in Alaska. So we use Cascade. Works pretty well.

Good luck and I'll be watching this post to see other's comments.

Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Thanks for the Calgon tip, never ever thought of it. We have always used the liquid deodorizer but will add the calgon to it. Flushed it but not 30 minutes. Will do it for 30 min. and hope for the best. Thanks again
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dry camping means to me, economize! the use of the H20.

You probably already know this, but, you cannot use H20 when dry camping or boondocking the way you can when you are in a unit sitting at a full service site.

There are tons of tricks for dry camping, like reusing the water you do dishes with to flush the toilet. Ols1932 has great hints in that arena.

The other advise, snicker, learn to ignore those silly gauges.

Gotta say tho, just for the fun of it, Al and I have been looking at ours lately, and for some reason, they are actually working. We attribute it to having the water softener on the system for 3 months. Is that the answer?? Who knows, but, it is a suspicion of ours. We also do the Calgon!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have always disregarded the sensors. Have never found anything that was foolproof to keep them clean no matter how clean I flush the tanks. We full time and have learned to be able to tell from experience when the tanks need to be emptied.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Orv, no substitute for experience, my man.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I have always disregarded the sensors. Have never found anything that was foolproof to keep them clean no matter how clean I flush the tanks. We full time and have learned to be able to tell from experience when the tanks need to be emptied.

Orv
Agree.

After you use the trailer for a while, you will know how long you can go before each tank needs dumping. I always write down the last time the tanks were emptied...should my memory fail me.

As noted in an earlier post, Calgon works great, that's what we use.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My system: When the toilet "Burps" at me, time to empty.

When water backs up in the shower, time to empty.

Never had galley back up, as we keep that one open all the time.

Never believe the gauges...........

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Those guages are like the owner's manual, just about worthless.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have a "fool" proof method.

My wife tells me when they need to be dumped.

NO! I did not call her a fool!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Forget the stupid gauges. Forget all the gadgets, Forget all the additives. The gadgets and additives are a waste of money. Put the money towards fuel for the TV. Like Orv says, "learn to be able to tell from experience when the tanks need to be emptied" and get on with the good life life.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:12 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is our 5th camper. The other 4 were all different brands..the guages worked on all of them from the day we purchased till the day we sold them. The last camper was 9 years old when we sold it in 2006. It now seems to be a common problem in all present brands that the guages do not work and it is something that we just accept like a lot of other things. Silly me... I had to pay for them..I sort of expect them to work. Lets see we have all those guages in our truck but 3 or 4 of them don't work..is that OK????? There are things I just do not understand??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Five fifthwheels, three brands, and not one of them had gauges that worked right after the first couple of trips or so. I've never found a cleaning method that lasts for long. As long as the senders are inside the tank, they'll get fouled in any waste tank, black or gray. So I just disregard them and use the methods others here stated to tell when to dump. Rich, you are one lucky guy to have gauges that work. Our fresh water gauge works. Someday the minerals in the water will probably get those senders, too.

The only permanent solution I know of is to replace the gauge senders with those that go on the outside of the tank rather than on the inside. They're commercially available but since we can tell when to dump the tanks I can't justify the cost.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote