Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 AM   #21
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I was blowing 40 am fuses when raising the unit. I started just holding the switch on for just a few seconds and then releasing it. I then checked the crimp connection on the hot lead and found it loose. I soldered it and have been fine since. I have found 40amp fuses at flea markets.

Dee

Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #22
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Wayne had to extend those front jacks once on our new 3585, and it wasn't a pretty sight. I couldn't look because I just knew he'd drop dead on me while doing it. He had a pretty bad heart attack 2 years ago and doesn't have much of a thumper left. However, pacing himself while he extended the jacks got him through the ordeal. It was an eye-opener for me in a way, because we thought I'd always be able to manage the rig by myself in an emergency. But if I had to hand-crank those jacks myself, I don't think I could. On the other hand, it's a good case for rigging our drill to do the job.

About those fuses: We bought the entire stock of 40-amps (all 4 of them) at the local auto supply house after the hand-cranking experience. I think when we take our rig back for a check-up at the dealership, we'll see if we can get an automatic reset breaker like LeonardW got.

This front jacks fuse problem is annoying. My brother got caught in a compromising position with his Montana when trying to unhitch at home once, late at night, of course. Not until he went through 3 people at his dealership the next day did he find someone who figured out what happened. Then he was told that it's a "common problem." Well, ok Montana, fix it!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #23
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I carry a 18V impact wrench to lower my rear jacks,maybe I can notch out a deep socket to fit the crank for the front landing gear,sure would make it a lot easier.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 AM   #24
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Isn't there a standard or metric socket size that will fit?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #25
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Our pump has a 1/4 inch allen drive hole in it. I have a 1/4 inch drive bit with a 1/4 inch allen wrench attached that works great on it. I just chuck it up in the DeWalt 18 volt drill and it takes about 3 minutes to get the slides in or out.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #26
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I know the slides go in and out with a drill, but how about the front landing gear?
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:54 AM   #27
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Sorry, I think I have caffeine shortage, only three of the six cups I need. Just checked the JACK wiring and mine has a 30 amp fuse holder and a tiny 30 amp spade fuse. About one third the size of the ones in the fuse panel inside. I was reading jacks and think slides,DUH. What a butt head.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If I decide to replace our 40 amp fuse with a breaker, just exactly what do I ask for? And do I get this at an auto parts store? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #29
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Steve,
Here is what some of the breakers look like. Any good auto parts store should have them on hand.

Circuit Breakers
Old 04-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #30
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
How does the automatic reset CB's work? Not to seem dumb, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of a fusable link? I guess I have been lucky so far as I haven't blown a fuse yet. My DW and I have read about these elec probs with the gear so we are very careful when extending or retracting the gear. When we have a long way to go, we go half way and wait a minute or so and then continue. We never double click the switch either. Why are these things blowing????? Sorry, but my electrical knowledge is about as bright as a burned out 200 watt light bulb.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:59 AM   #31
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
The current builds up when there is a problem, this creates heat which will trip the breaker. In a few minutes (or seconds) the internal parts cool down and the "switch" resets until the next overload. I'm almost of the state of mind that I would get a manual reset breaker. If it trips, it indicates that something is wrong. A manual reset would remind me to look for the problem, versus just continuing to operate because I know it reset. (That is my simple version)

Here is an information link on Circuit Breakers

Edited: Be prepared. There is a lot of information to assimilate in the article, but it will definitely satiate your request.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #32
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Blew the fuse 2 years ago and found it at a local autoparts store. I was actually amazed at how easy it was to finish lowering the landing gear by hand.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote