Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Big Sky refrigerator problem

Am I the only one with a new Norcold Refrigerator in there Big Sky that is having a problem?

I just installed my 4th Thermistor in about 6 months because the unit would allow the refrigerator to drop to about 25 deg and stay there. The factory told the repair shop that the unit was not designed for full time use and when it would frost up on the inside then you will have a problem with the Thermistor. I think this is a bunch of bull and Thetford/Norcold should own up that there is a problem with my unit. I have not talked to Keystone yet but I think that is just around the corner. My dealer wants us to bring the Big Sky into his lot so they can look at it as it's too far for him to send a service person and we are living in it and need it here.

So if you could help me out here and let me know if you have had a problem with yours. Or better still if you have not had a problem. I would like to go back to Thetford/Norcold and tell them that X number of people that I am aware of do not have the same problem.

Thanks for any help.

Dick Driver

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have not had any problem with ours. The freezer is a lot better than the the old single door Dometic in the 2003 Big Sky. So far we are really pleased.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Hi Dick,
We just checked ours and it's about 40 degrees with the setting at 6. We started out with higher settings and it was too cold but have been able to just turn it down and that seems to work. So far, so good!
Regarding your warranty, we have a mobile repair unit here in our park. I was chatting with the owner yesterday and asked about warranty problems. He specifically said almost any of the appliances, air conditioners, refrigerators etc. he was authorized to repair under warranty. If you have any mobile units over your way, you might give them a call. It would sure save you a lot of hassle if you can get them to come to you.
Judy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We don't have a Big Sky, but had the problem that caused the recall and then the door fell off. Woks fin now and hasn't been turned off in a year other than to defrost. The fulltiming copout is BS!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by judyuk

Hi Dick,
We just checked ours and it's about 40 degrees with the setting at 6. We started out with higher settings and it was too cold but have been able to just turn it down and that seems to work. So far, so good!
Regarding your warranty, we have a mobile repair unit here in our park. I was chatting with the owner yesterday and asked about warranty problems. He specifically said almost any of the appliances, air conditioners, refrigerators etc. he was authorized to repair under warranty. If you have any mobile units over your way, you might give them a call. It would sure save you a lot of hassle if you can get them to come to you.
Judy
Thanks Judy, I did contact a local RV repair place and they are contacting our friends at Norcold. If we can get Norcold to do any thing the RV repair will come out to us. I have not even contacted our Dealer in Wenatchee. I will deal with the factory with the local Company.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
No problems here Dick. Our fridge works great.
Jim
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
25 deg in the fridge is really cold Dick, is that what you meant??? or did you mean a 25 deg drop..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:43 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not that Full Timing should make any difference but, just in case, I have developed a military policy of "Don't Ask - Don't Tell" and if they do ask I lie thru my teeth
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:01 AM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

25 deg in the fridge is really cold Dick, is that what you meant??? or did you mean a 25 deg drop..
You read it right Rich, the refer turned into a freezer and the temperature was down to 25 deg. We purchased a fresh turkey for Thanksgiving and it is now about frozen.

We did get another Thermistor yesterday and I put it in until we can get this resolved. Works great now, for a month or two. We have it set at 1 (warmest) and can't get it above 35 deg.

Have a great Thanksgiving,

Dick
Old 11-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Hi Dick, we had the same problem while we were in Utah - frozen lettuce is not a good thing - nor is frozen medication!!!!!

We contacted Norcold and they were very helpful. Gave us names and numbers of authorized repair people. They changed the thermister and we've been fine since then.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Extra cold fridge = probable bad thermister..It is on my trouble shooting list.. Love this forum.. What did that frozen lettuce look like when it thawed???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
That wasn't "iceberg" lettuce by any chance was it?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

That wasn't "iceberg" lettuce by any chance was it?
Good one Mike!!!

Among other things we tried to fry the eggs but had trouble getting them out of the shell frozen. Ended up with scrambled.

Dick

PS. May I suggest that you have a temperature gage put in the refer to keep track of the temperature.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We now have a Norcold fridge. Have not had any problem with it and usually set it on 6.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:54 AM   #15
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPs We are freezing up again. Just arrived in San Marcos and will be calling for norcold service tomorrow morning.

Now this is REALLY aggravating! Just got a delivery of a 3-month supply of meds that cannot be frozen again!!!!!

Jo-Anna
Old 11-25-2007, 05:06 AM   #16
bulldog402
Established Member

M.O.C. #6927
Mine in the Mountianeer is freezing everything also. It is set on 1 and it started doing this about 2 weeks ago. Dumb question what is a thermistor and where is it located. Might try this!
bulldog402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:25 AM   #17
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bulldog402

Mine in the Mountianeer is freezing everything also. It is set on 1 and it started doing this about 2 weeks ago. Dumb question what is a thermistor and where is it located. Might try this!
On my refer the thermistor is a small and black, about 3/4" long that clips onto one of the fins in the back of refer space and has wires going to the light and another small plug on the inside ceiling of the refer. Our small RV dealer had one in stock, it was a little shorter but still works until I can get to the root of the problem.

Dick
Old 11-25-2007, 05:34 AM   #18
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPs We are freezing up again. Just arrived in San Marcos and will be calling for norcold service tomorrow morning.

Now this is REALLY aggravating! Just got a delivery of a 3-month supply of meds that cannot be frozen again!!!!!

Jo-Anna
David,
Get those meds into a small cooler with ice or they will freeze again. When you talk to Norcold let them know that you are not the only one having this problem and see what they have to say.
There phone number is 1-800-543-1219, I am still waiting to hear back from the local RV repair place that is working with them to try and get this resolved. I will visit them early next week and see what is going on. Replacing the Thermister every month or two is not going to work for me.

Dick
PS. It's was about time you updated your Blog
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
We have problems with ours frosting over on the top coils, sometimes gets so bad it is iced over. I shut it off over night & it thaws out mostly. Then less than a week same thing over. We have talked to our dealer about this & they sent us a kit to put on the seal. Hubby hasn't done it yet!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think it will fix the problem. Ours is set on 5 & is just over 30 degrees, but nothing freezes, just the coils.

Hubby says if he drank more beer he would be in the frig more & it wouldn't freeze over.
fla hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #20
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
After waiting 3 hours at a norcold service center (camping world) outside of San Marcos, they diagnosed that the termister is not working (DAH!!) One is being shipping overnight to the El Paso Camping World and we have an appointment tomorrow afternoon (565 miles away) to have it installed. We are on the road again - heading for Vegas to check on my mom who is in the hospital with a fractured pelvis.......

Stay tuned.......