Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
Richpollock
Established Member

M.O.C. #7205
Is the front tripod stabilizer nescessary for a 07

Is the front tripod stabilizer nescessary for a 07 Monana 2980Rl?

We see some 5th wheel that have them and some do not.

Richpollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I'm afraid you are going to find opinions (and practices) all over the ball park. I used one for the first few years. Now three fifth wheels later and unnumbered camping sites, I have left mine permanently in the garage. I do not find it worth the weight to carry and the task of setting up. BUT.... as I said.....
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As mentioned, this will be personal preference. Necessary, no ... but unless you're used to being aboard a ship, some fasion of stabilization will make you happier. Some of us use tripods, some of us use wheel chocks, and some of us use some version of JT stabilizers. I personally have the JT's. Some think too pricey, but you can't beat em. They are permanently installed on your rig. You don't have to mess with the tripod setup at each campsite no do you waste space storing it during travel. Take a look at how the front jacks are mounted on your fiver and you'll see there's a lot of give in the setup.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree it's not required but is just a personal preference. Ours does help remove some movement but does not remove it all. I install it only when we'll be in one place for more than a week. Otherwise I consider it too much bother for the amount of good it does.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Personal preference and comfort level, nope, we tain't got an 07, but if you ask owners of 04s, they will tell you different stories. We can really feel the difference when we use and not use. Overnighters and short term stays we don't use, and we miss the solid feel. Long term we use, and we enjoy the solid feeling from the tripod. Note, we have a tripod. Personal preference and comfort level, what bothers us might not be noticable for you.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We have the light weight aluminum tripod, weighs 18 lbs and can handle 800 lbs of pin weight. Can't speak for the others, but sure helps controlling the movement in our 3400.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
No, it is not necessary. But, if as has been suggested that you need the absolute solid feeling, then you are not going to get it with a tripod. The tripod will help but you will still have some movement. The only real stabilizing equipment to stop movement for a 5th wheel that I have seen is the JT Stabilizers. And I don't have them. I don't have a tripod either because the movement in our Montana is minimal since we use the Roto-Choks between the wheels. The majority of movement you feel is not side to side but rather fore and aft. That's the wheels rocking. If you snug up your rear stabilizers you will minimize side to side movement.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:43 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
It is all in how you deal with "wiggle".

We use Rotochocks, as does Orv, we snug down those rear stableizers too, we use the tripod and we use 2 sets of adjustable jacks (forget the "official" names) mid coach, one set behind the wheels and one set in front of the wheels. They are placed as close to the wheels as Al can get them.

It takes all that to make us feel comfy. That said the Jt's were not something we were aware of until recently. (Maybe the next coach??)

Back to that ole comfort zone, for some just put those rear stableizers down and you are good to go. For us, it takes more.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote