Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
kjtogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #6667
Compartment Locks

Has anyone replaced the stock outside compartment locks? We were told by the dealer that everyone that owns an RV has the same series of keys. If anyone has replaced them, did you use the CW replacement, locksmith or what? Thanks.

kjtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
I got barrel locks (keys look like vending machine keys) from CW, not because all RV's are all keyed alike but because my wife kept breaking the keys off if the lock. Changing them out is really quick and simple. I have never heard of anyone being broken into using a key as most RVers are honest, the problems I have heard of involved some kind of pry device while in storage and changing the locks won't help.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #3
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I got the barrel locks from a local Lock and Safe company and changed the locks out in our old Four Winds. I've never changed them out in the Montana, because as others have said, a good screwdriver will get you in anyway. The Montana basement was broken into last year when stored at Kays office. They just twisted the finger pull and the lock twisted with it. The door skin material the lock goes through is so thin that if you twist the finger pull, the lock will spin and unlock. I'm still planning to come up with a fix to prevent that. The good news is all they took was the battery drill that we use to lower/raise the rear stabilizers. I went to pick the Montana up for a trip, and noticed both basement and both propane doors open.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:51 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We installed a matched set of 4 barrel locks from CW on our 2003 Monty. As I look back, the only problem I had with them is the key won't come out in the unlocked position. I decided just to keep the standard locks on the new Monty and hopen for the best.

One secret is to keep the bathroom door open over the basement hatch to prevent acess from the basement up into the coach.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I have come close to twisting the key off while trying to lock or un lock my storage doors.
I have been thinking about changing mine, didnt know about not being able to remove the key while un locked though,,, bummer.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Blue,

YOu can get locks that will allow the key to come out from the unlocked position as well. The comment about being able to twist the finger pull, or even the lock itself, shows how easy it is to get around even the best of locks. Using a steel or aluminum plate to back up the lock will slow things down, but determination can overcome most anything.

Slowing people down and adding some sort of alarm to get attention would probably be the best approach to keeping things safe, but....

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We were thinking about changing our locks out but will probably wait. We dont have to leave the bath door open b/c on this new unit there is no basement door which I like much better.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
Replaced all my locks with a combination cam lock. I even put locks on the propane doors but leave them unlocked if the tanks are on. It's nice not having to "get the keys" when I need to get into a compartment. Here's the link: http://www.cabinetlocks4less.com/Cam/main.htm
There's nice and helpfull peaple to deal with.
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote