Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Cleaning under the slideout awnings

As the camping season came to a close this year, I decided to tackle the dirt and mildew spots on the underside of my slideout awnings. I found one of those "Swiffer" mops with about a 4' handle works pretty well. A litle mold and mildew cleaner, a followup of "Awesome", and a good water rinse does the trick. Getting on a ladder is involved and you have to reach in with your arm as far as you can to get to the middle of the main slideout, but the mop is so light, it's little trouble. I know some of you think I have way too much time on my hands, but one just can't have dirty slide toppers! Hee! Hee!

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:37 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Never thought of a swifter type thingy. Good idea, as you point out, it is not heavy!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Another great idea! Now all I have to do is go and buy the slide toppers. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Montana Sky - If you get the toppers, check out the Carefree of Colorado. They have versions that can be retracted independant of the slide, extend further to make a window awning, and they have a new version that has a center rail that pops up when extended to prevent build up of snow and water.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
That's what my husband uses on our TT awning. It works great.
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Ok,

I have the awnings and the swiffer. Now all I have to do is con someone into doing the dirty work.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Brad, now you tell me! I just installed the A&E's this summer! Sure sounds as if the features of the Carefree would be worth considering.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Dieselguy - all humor aside, the bottom sides of our slider toppers do get filthy. You can't always get the top clean enough not to deposit gunk on the underside when the slide retracts and the topper rolls up. I try to brush things off as the wife pulls the slider in, but things like tree sap & unknown stickies remain & then contaminate the underside when rolled up. Just after a few trips I've noticed quite a bit of 'stuff' stuck up under there & keep putting off the job of cleaning because it's quite a reach. The swiffer seems like it might ease the job some. Thanks. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote