Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
storage on new Mountaineer

1) How do you store jackets, etc when you don't have a closet by the door? We kept a lot of jackets, umbrellas, in there and now no closet.

2) Also, underneath there is more storage, but things like my leveling ramps, chocks, etc will slide around I presume. My 2006 Montana had a recessed area on each side that sort of kept small items in place. Any suggestions on how to organize the small stuff?

3) And finally, the sewer hose storage in the 'bumper'.... It seems a little difficult to replace the end cap on it. Also, if you put in one hose, how do you get it out if it has slid to the middle.

4) Okay, really really finally, attaching the power cord. The new one is slightly different than my old one. The 'prongs' have a small extension curved out to the side. I have hooked up twice and it took about 2-3 minutes each time to finally get it hooked up. I still don't know what I did to make it work. Any suggestions of comments?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
In out 3800RE, we have a closet...but it is not used for jackets. They go in our washer and dryer cabinets since we don't have washer and dryer yet. Underneath storage - we bought large plastic bins with wheels at home depot that we use for clothes not needed very much and other things. Similar thing should work well for you. Can't help you on the sewer hose except to say tie a string to the fitting before shoving it in the bumper and leave a bit of the string out or connected to the cap to end this issue. Power cord - Sounds like you have the normal twist lock cord that most rvs use. If you notice where you are plugging into the rv...it has the same layout as the Cord...so orientate them close to the same, and push in, maybe needing a slight turn either way to get it to plug in....THEN a slight twist to lock it in place. John
Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Thanks for ideas. On the cord problem - my problem is just getting it to insert. I have tried aligning it with the 2 'bumps' and slot but it still doesn't insert. It either goes right in or doesn't go at all. And it seems I try the same thing each time and finally it goes.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

In out 3800RE, we have a closet...but it is not used for jackets. They go in our washer and dryer cabinets since we don't have washer and dryer yet. Underneath storage - we bought large plastic bins with wheels at home depot that we use for clothes not needed very much and other things. Similar thing should work well for you. Can't help you on the sewer hose except to say tie a string to the fitting before shoving it in the bumper and leave a bit of the string out or connected to the cap to end this issue. Power cord - Sounds like you have the normal twist lock cord that most rvs use. If you notice where you are plugging into the rv...it has the same layout as the Cord...so orientate them close to the same, and push in, maybe needing a slight turn either way to get it to plug in....THEN a slight twist to lock it in place. John

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
What model do u have?
1.We have a small closet at the front door but only room for a couple of light jackets and no room for shoes. Heavier jackets end up draped over kitchen chairs or in the bedroom closet. For shoes we purchased a clear plastic storage container with a lit. Keep it under the trailer by the door. Then we can remove shoes before we enter, keeping down the amount of sand, dirt being tracked into the trailer.
2. Our last unit had the recessed area as well but the dropped frame eliminates that but u end up with lots more storage space, a net benefit. Clocks and levelling boards, etc are kept in the truck box and most small loose items in the basement are kept in clear plastic storage containers available at Walmart or Cdn Tire.
3. We have 2 sewer hoses in our bumper and one can be accessed from each end of the bumper. If one gets stuck in the middle and end of our broom handle works quite well to push it thru.
4. Not sure about your power cord dilemma. I just line up the prongs and it seems to slide in ok and then turn to lock it before I thread the coupler ring tight. Taking it off remember to turn it before pulling it out. I was pulling like crazy and it wouldn't come out. Finally I saw the instructions printed on top of the fixture. Turn and Pull. Easy piezy after that.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I actually align the silver ground contact when plugging in. If it is offset about an eighth turn to the left ten when I push it in and twist back to straight up all is good. Doubt I explained it very well, but the point is I use the silver piece on the outside as my point of reference.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
On the power cord issue. I think after further research, mine may be a little defective. I examined the cord end and could see the hard plastic was getting 'smushed' at the edge of one of the slots for the power prong. It doesn't seem to align 'exactly' as it should. I can now get it to work by pulling the plug up and to the right as I push it in. Kind of a pain, as from one time to the next I forget the angle and direction to pull it!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 07-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
On the hose issue, if you have an actual 'bumper' for hose storage, a length of plastic pipe could be used to push the hose out. If you are talking about the LCI swinging hose storage, we have a 10 ft length of Rhinoflex hose we keep stored attached to the drain fitting with a cap on the hose. Fits perfectly and can only go maybe 6 inches inside the swing storage.

Due to the placement of the electric socket at the rear of our rig, we purchased a Camco 55572 18" 50 AMP Locking Male/50 AMP Locking 90 Degree Female PowerGrip Dogbone Electrical Adapter. We leave this attached to our cord, and it is very easy to plug into the rig, always ends up hanging down, and as a bonus, takes the strain off of the straight plug cord.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote