Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
Redvette21
Established Member

M.O.C. #14278
How to route backup camera wiring

I have the camera (rear view safety) and the 5ver now I need to figure out how to run the wire (preferably with the least impact on the 5ver) to the truck. Any good tips?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My lazy way was to mount the camera on the top rung of the rear ladder. Run the cable down the ladder, under the Rv securing the cable with gorilla tape
to the under belly. Then depending on the model find a way to get the cable to the pin box.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Redvette21
Established Member

M.O.C. #14278
Thanks Rich, I've been thinking about doing it that way.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Simpson9508
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13509
I mounted my backup camera below the center clearance light on back cap. I pulled the center clearance light and one of the back corner clearance lights on back cap and fished the wire. I pulled the tailight on same side and fished the wire down the side of cap. It was not all that difficult. It just took a little patience. I then pulled the belly insulation loose at the back and in the front just in front of the door to the trailer. I bought some fiberglass rods at Lowes that are used to fish wire thru walls.
I screwed 4 sections together and was able to hook the wire at the back and pull it the thru the underbelly with the fiberglass rods. I then fished it up thru the battery compartment. I was able to push a 1/2 by about 2 inch board from the pin box to the battery compartment between the frame and outer skin to pull the wire to the pin box. There wasn't anything really difficult with it it just took time and patience. It made for a professional looking installation. I have had several comments asking me if the camera was mounted at the factory.
Simpson9508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I tried to do what Simpson9508 did but hit a snag on the side trying to drop the wire down. So we drilled a hold into the rear closet and put an access panel there. Since i have a rear kitchen i had a second wall. We ran the wire down to the floor over to the edge and drilled through the floor and then put "wire Loop" along the frame and propane pipe with the cable inside up to the nose. Was able to fish the wire to the pin box where the truck interface wire was connected.

I hope this helps. Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Redvette21
Established Member

M.O.C. #14278
Thanks gentlemen. I hadn't thought of pulling one of the corner lamps. Not sure it will get me there but I'll take a look at it. I think if I can get it around the rear window and to the outside the install will get easier.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Hard part was thru the cap to front compartment. Fished aft down left underbelly to rear light. Then up and over to top center lite, drilled mount hole, done. A 25' fish tape paid for itself.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Redvette21
Established Member

M.O.C. #14278
Thanks Mike. I have a fish tape (somewhere) but I'm out of time this weekend. I'll hit it next weekend and let you guys know how it went.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm with most previous replies ... pulled the RH clearance light and RH tail light ... drilled a 1/2" hole with grommet in the center of the rear cap by camera mount ... used fish tape going forward thru the belly to the front compartment ... top of plastic sheeting under bedroom and out pin box near where the breakaway switch mounts. Did this on my last 2 Montanas ... 05 was a bit harder as to the rear cap going from horizontal to vertical, but it all worked out. For the little extra work, it does please the eye. I have the monitor in-between my sun visors with the wire above the headliner and out the back of the cab ... under the bed and pigtailed out a bed stake inside of the bed over the wheel well. When I hook the breakaway carabineer, I also plug in the camera.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:36 AM   #10
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have the Rear View Safety, Rear view and side mounted cams. Ran into the same problem as Simpson9508. There was a frame block in the way to snake the wire down the inside of the rear cap. I had to cut a couple of holes in the kitchen cabinets, have a rear kitchen. From there was able to get the wire down the cap and under the RV. From there, tucked it into the underbelly all the way up to the front compartment via the propane tank compartment. All three of the camera wires meet there. I have a connector there just above the front compartment door for the cable that goes to the truck. A connector below the bumper for the wire that runs up into the cab. If you are running just one wire, getting into the cab from under the truck is ok. There is a grommet under the cab right rear corner you can fish the wire through to the multiplexer. With mine, I had three wire to get in. No go with the grommet, hole to small. In the back of the cab there are vent holes. The wire harness goes out there and down under the truck. Made a box so that all the wires could be disconnected there if need be. As the truck dealer told me (for the newer Fords) that if there are major issues with the engine, they take the whole cab off. Power wire for the multiplexer goes up to the up-lifter switches for the power. Ground goes up under the pick panel on the passenger side. My multiplexer is behind the seat on the rear passenger side. Had to move the factory jack and used the little platform the to mount the multiplexer.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
Redvette21
Established Member

M.O.C. #14278
Great information. Thanks all. This weekend I'll be wiring camera and attaching bike rack to the back.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
Redvette21
Established Member

M.O.C. #14278
I got it done. Took way too long but looks and works well. Thanks for your suggestions.