Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tank has shipped

Received notification via Amazon e-mail that the 63 gallon wedge auxiliary fuel tank has shipped from Florida. I received the installation kit a couple of days ago, so it looks like I will have a project to get done in the next couple of weeks. Interestingly enough, the tank is from Northern Tool but I saved $60 in shipping charges by ordering it through Amazon, which makes no sense since it is still through Northern Tool, but it is what it is. If anyone is interested, I can photo-document the installation (less busted knuckles and internal body temperature alterations) and post it at a later date. Looks like Christmas in early this year in the month of April!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I'd love to see those pics when you're done Bingo. I have a 60 gallon aux. tank in my truck and it's one of the best accessories I've ever added. Next will be the air bags. One thing to remember is that when the big tank is full, your fuel guage will always read full until the large tank empties. Good luck on the install.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Installation pictures would be sweet especially how you tie it in with the stock fuel lines and tanks. Like RJI47 describes, if my full tank would read full for over 60 gallons, that would bother me. But when it starts reading less than full, looking forward to a $240 fillup may not be fun, but necessary. I understand some of these tanks have a separate fuel gauge that can be mounted in the dash.

I would only recommend this on a dually with lots of spare rating margin. 60 gallons of diesel is about 430 lbs plus the additional hardware. I only have 250 lbs of rating left when fully loaded with my older lighter Monty and gear on my 3/4 (1) ton truck. But 98 gallons on board would be way sweet. I suppose the mgs might even suffer slightly, but the option of longer range to find the cheapest fuel should take care of that concern.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
There is an installation kit for this. It comes with a "T" fitting that goes inline in the original fill hose, with a smaller nipple to connect the drain port on the large tank with the fill hose. You fill the lower tank first, then the upper tank. There is usually a mechanical guage on the large tank which is easily visible, and oddly enough, is quite accurate. You get used to seeing a "full" needle on the dash, and find yourself waiting for the needle to start to move. Then you have 2 choices...... fill the upper tank again, or wait for another 30 gallons or so to fill both. No matter what option you take, it's gonna be expensive.
Flying "J" gives lifetime good sam members an $.08 discount off the cash price of their diesel fuel. Just remember to have your additive with you.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Actually, with the installation kit I have purchased, I will only have to feed the upper tank since it gravity feeds through a check-valve directly into the lower tank filler tube. There is a manual switch, but it typically is left open to make sure the total fuel is cycled so there is no "old" fuel in the system. The DIY center in the Chevy will show miles left in the OEM tank, but each time you turn the truck off, it will reset to the OEM tank range. I was under the impression the gas guage will do the same thing, but am not sure, but should know within the next couple of weeks. I will provide a full update on the particulars as soon as I know. I am not going to even touch the weight situation, since as an engineer, I firmly believe that there are safety margins built into what is stated as manufacturer specs. That last statement is my opinion only!!
Bingo
Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
If you still have that dually, I wouldn't worry about the weight near as much. I was mostly concerned about SRWs trying to add a 60 gallon aux tank. With my configuration and weight numbers I cannot use it when towing (or maybe don't fill it up so much and lose whatever margin I had leftover).
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I love my transfer tank also and mine is from Northern tool I never thought about looking at amazon, the company that made mine was. RDS Mfg. Transfer fuel tanks and the person I talked to at that company. was Ray, I think he is the owner.
Is that the same company that made your tank Bingo ?
Are you going to run a seperate fuel filter/water seperator in line before the T? Just in case there is bad fuel or particals in the fuel.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Don, it is a RDS tank, the only reason that I ordered through Amazon was that for some reason, the shipping was more than half less from Northern Tool on direct order. Shipping through Amazon (ordered by Amazon from Northern Tool) was less than $55 while shipping through Northern Tool was more than $120. I even had a 10% off code for Northern Tool but the total through Amazon was still a little less. I like the idea of the separate filter and will have to investigate that after I see if there are any purging requirements for the new tank? Anyone have any thoughts, knowledge or information on that?
Bingo
Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I have a 50 gallon Titan fuel tank and skid plate on my 2012 F-250, and it is one of the best mods I've had done. Ford's on-board computer has a setting for a 50 gallon tank, so I could use the existing fuel gauge.

Last weekend I had to drive 500 miles one-way to pick up my new Monte, I filled up at home and drove (empty) to Sacramento. When I got there the dashboard reported I had another 650 miles to go until empty!

Bringing the Monte back home was a different story. I filled up in Sacramento, and by the time I got back home the "need fuel" light had just illuminated, but my fill-up indicated I had about seven gallons of diesel left.

I love the fact that my towing range now exceeds 500 miles, a distance I would be hard pressed to drive in a normal towing day (although I do it). This range gives me the opportunity to fill up at truck stops which have ample height for Monte as well as their fuel prices are usually much better than those found in out-of-the-way towns or inside national parks.

So in the long run (for the life of the truck) my 50 gallon tank, although expensive, will pay for itself in a few years of driving.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
When I installed mine, I was told to just fill it up, and happy motoring, which has been the way it is. The separate filter/seperator is a great idea, but you might find the space is very restrictive. Not much room up there at all for that "T" fitting.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Rainer, my truck could support your configuration (50 gallon OEM replacement tank). My current 38 gallon tank provides about 400 towing miles and over 650 to 700 driving miles. That extra 12 gallons would only add about 100 pounds in weight and a boatload more in mile range.

My fuel warning starts at 100 miles of range left, and this easily calculates to 7-8 gallons of fuel still in the tank. Then at 50 miles of range left the warning seems to buzz as the range drops in 5 mile increments. I try to fill up quick just to stop the alarm.

Bingo, I think since Amazon ships SO MUCH product they have a discount with the shipping companies. This is not unusual as a business arrangement especially with their volume. I have often seen that buying from Amazon and paying the shipping (and now paying sales tax) is sometimes less than buying at a walled store (plus the fuel to drive there). The local stores are fighting Amazon over this and winning.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
If the items were PRIME they ship free and you get them in 2 days .. I love PRIME.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't think PRIME applies to truck shipments from the manufacturer which is what this fuel tank was. My daughter has a free student PRIME account and if it would have qualified, I would have definitely went that route! I did make arrangements at the trucking company distribution center to stop by after work Monday so I would not have to wait around at the house for the delivery and miss work. Gotta save those times for camping, not deliveries!
Bingo
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #14
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Good luck Bingo. I love the extra fuel capacity; however, it cost me $571 dollars to fill up my tanks and they were already half full. But, now I can go approx. 3,000 miles without filing up.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

Good luck Bingo. I love the extra fuel capacity; however, it cost me $571 dollars to fill up my tanks and they were already half full. But, now I can go approx. 3,000 miles without filing up.
only 150 gal. Captain Joe? you didnt fill up in California thats for sure. have fun in your new TV.

Bongo thats good information about prime I didnt know that.
But checking into the extra fuel/water seperator would be a good deal to check. I have always been wondering about those that drain the transfer tank from the bottom of there tank, into the OEM tank with out a in line filter to catch impurities that will also drain into there OEM tank. I know you will figure that out though.
Don