Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 AM   #1
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Diesel fuel additive

Having an older diesel engine not designed for ULSD fuel, I was surprised to learn that adding 2-cycle oil to the fuel is recommended on many diesel chat forums. Most recommended is Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
My question is, with any additive, does anyone have a handy way to transfer additives from the big jugs into a smaller pre-measured container that can be poured into the fuel fill on the tow vehicle without making a mess. Since this process is generally a routine during fill up, you may being doing this often. I'm looking for a way to draw say up to 32 ounces from a gallon jug of additive and put it into a smaller container or directly into the tank.

If anyone is interested in a study on diesel additives and hasn't come across this one, have a look. The 2-cycle oil is number 7 on the list. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728

Dave

drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Dave, 2 cycle oil is far from the most effective additive available. Someone will come along with the link to the study of comparative benefits of additives (I don't have it at my fingertips). I use about 1% biodiesel in my big Cummins. It is a cheaper and a much more effective additive.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Thanks Bob. In looking at the Spicer study given in the link, 2-cycle oil performed better than many well known products coming in at number 7 on the list. Thing is the top winners don't seem to be available around here whereas you can get 2-cycle anywhere. I think that's why so many diesel forum members are using it. Bio diesel is at the top of the recommended list but I'll have to try to find it. For others reading this, as far as I know the 2-cycle is only dealing with lubricity for the fuel system, such as fuel pump and injectors. It doesn't help with gelling, wax, cetane, etc. Some of the other additives on the list claim other benefits.

Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Those 'studies' have been going around the internet for years. People put all sorts of 'junk' in their engines. Just look at the list...used motor oil! Got to be kidding.

The ONLY thing I put in my truck is what GM says it's okay to put in my truck...Stanadyne.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drsmart

My question is, with any additive, does anyone have a handy way to transfer additives from the big jugs into a smaller pre-measured container that can be poured into the fuel fill on the tow vehicle without making a mess. Since this process is generally a routine during fill up, you may being doing this often. I'm looking for a way to draw say up to 32 ounces from a gallon jug of additive and put it into a smaller container or directly into the tank.

Dave
Dave, I purchased a couple from US Plastic Co. that dispense 1 oz. per stroke.I have found them to be very good. I happen to use Lucas Fuel Treatment in every tankful. This makes me put in .32 oz. per gallon; so when I put anything in over 14 gallons, I put in 5 pumpsful.

Hope this helps you.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My 2008 Ford owners manual says there is no need to use diesel additives.
If you wont to make sure there is no ethanol in it because it will absorb any water that is in your fuel and can ruin your high pressure fuel pump, which will cost up to #8000 or more to replace. These new fuel systems are very fragile. Just be careful.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
My neighbor has a 96 Chevy diesel. He told me that while having his truck worked on in the Zephyrhills, Florida area, that an old mechanic told him to add a bit of automatic transmission fluid to each fill up for engine lube. He's been doing that now for the past many years. I really don't know if it works or not. D
Old 11-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Trans fluid and 2 stroke oil is good to lube the pump in older diesels I run either one in mine. newer trucks from what I have heard don't need it. the sulfur that they took out was what lubed the pumps on older trucks. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Dave your doing what I've been doing! Outboard motor oil will not soot up like motor oil or trans oil when it burns. My wife uses this product and I use her used bottles. The bottle hold 8ozs, I use half Schaeffer's diesel additives and half outboard motor oil. I drive an 05 Gmc and it may not help but I sleep better at night using an additive.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Thank you all for the recommendations. For now I've picked up some TCW3 2 stroke marine oil in a one gallon and a one quart size. I'll use the quart with the view window down the side that has graduated markers to dispense into the tank. Going to watch for a dispenser like Orv recommended.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks for your bottle info, Orv. I pour from a large container into a smaller one and it is really messy.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I put an additive in my 05 D/A, I was told by a Chev dealer in CO to do so. I get it at W-M.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
sue531
Established Member

M.O.C. #11214
I use Stanadyne in my 06 Duramax LBZ in every tank.I buy it by the case in the smaller bottles so I don`t have to pour from a large bottle into a smaller container.
sue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
Stop by a pharmacy and purchase some of their prescription liquid bottles. They come on sizes from 2oz up to 16oz. I am a pharmacist and have used these for any additives I might use. They have narrow necks and are easy to pour directly in the tank. Should be able to get these for $0.50 each.
kjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I use the pull top dispenser tops from dishwashing detergent bottles. They fit the 1 qt oil plastic bottles. Just be sure to clean the detergent out thoroughly. That with the indicator in the side oil bottles and you can do a good job of dispensing what you want.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote