Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Something completely different - dock addition!!

In times of enduring the onslaught of previously documented attacks of cabin fever, I am left with nothing else to do but to plan on Montana mods as well as work to do at the house. One of this spring's projects will be an addition to the dock. I will be extending one finger pier 30 feet in length and 6 feet in width to the unused piling, and relocating a set of mooring whips to the addition. This will enable me to lower the boat off of the lift and walk it to the mooring whip location. I currently have the mooring whips on the river side of the other finger which interferes with the fishing frontage. The total length of one side of the dock will now be 84 feet (or as Phil (Indyroadrunner) will surely want to know, still not enough room to park the Montana there!!). Here is a schematic of the entire dock with the addition area shaded in yellow. I have also promised DW the addition of an arbor with benches and trellis for hanging plants at the landing area in the yard.

As I did on the dock construction (for those MOCers who recall it), I will make a slide-show of the project as it starts and progresses through completion.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool! very nice addition, and a nice blueprint.
Can I come and wire it???
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ozz,
In the short time that you were away from the forum (you know - working too much!!!), we had a few discussions (Jim Fischer and a couple of others) regarding wiring the dock. As a result of these conversations and consultations, there is electric and water on the dock (The pedestal at the front of the boat in the picture has a 30 amp receptacle, 20 amp receptacle and water bib). Since you may be interested , here is one of the latest photos I have, and if you did not see the slideshows of the construction project, here are a couple of links to occupy your time. If you have seen it, then there may be new MOCers who are interested. Anyway, here is what I have (I will add that there were only two hands used for the entire project!!)

Slideshows:

Dock Construction

Lift Addition

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Anytime discussion of a boat or pool comes up it is short-lived as these simply interfere with our camping time. Good luck on your new project!
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What a nice project. You are quite a craftsman, the job looked like it was a fun one.
I can tell that many hours were spent planning the job. Do you have any pictures of the electrical end of it? I saw during the lift phase the power pedestal magical appeared, that wasn't one of those 'wiggle the nose' things was it? Wouldn't that be a neat option for some of our jobs?
Your family is lucky to have such a handy guy around.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Looks like a very nice addition! Hope it all comes together as planned.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ozz,
Unfortunately, I don't. It was a continuous run of UF-B 8/3 wire to the dock from one of the existing breaker boxes in the garage (total run was 140 feet if I recall correctly, and yes I know I cheated a little on the size but usual draw is less than 20 amps). The pedestal comes complete and all that was required was attaching lugs to the wires and making the connections. The wire was run underground through the yard (in conduit) and then runs beneath the composite decking all the way to the pedestal. At hinged junctions on the dock and where the ramp is on rollers I looped an extra couple of feet of cable to allow for the dock to move up and down. Turned out good and I am obviously pleased with the result.
Kyle,
Gotta do something until camping season arrives around Easter!!
Bingo

Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great job, I know it is enjoyable for the family.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Oh come on Bingo, just of few more feet and you can put that camper right in there. I have been trying to get you to see the light ever since you started that project.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote