Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
oldgeezor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12003
Bubble Levels

Does anyone use a combination of 2 bubble levels attached to the rig to level? If you do where did you mount the 2 levels. I looked at them in the RV store the other day and they were about $7.00(cdn). Are they worth the effort?

Thanks Greg

oldgeezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I have them mounted on the drivers side front corner. Frankly both of them are slightly off. Since I know about how much they are off I have been able to use them to get close at least. Now I have an app for my Iphone where I can lay the phone on the floor of the Monty and it tells me how much I have to go up or down and where in inches. Haven't used it for real yet, but in experiments at home it looks like it is what I was looking for. It's a part of the RV Companion app. Right now I am only using the free version which contains the leveler and a bunch of other stuff. I'm going to really test the app out on our trip to Arizona in February and if I like it, I may go for the pay for it version.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have a small one by the basement door where the button for the landing gear is located. Also have a small one on the rear that my DW can tell when it is level side to side for parking and adjusting wheel ramps. And finally, I got one of those large ones that is mounted on the hitch so I can also tell when parking.
The small ones seem to come loose after 4-5 years, but pretty cheap to start - so no probs.
Good luck.
p.s. Make sure the trailer is level when you install them!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
On my 2007 3400 I have them on the inside of the basement next to my landing gear controls.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have a small one stuck on the side just above where the front jacks switch is located. That one if for front to back level.
I have one of the large ones mounted to the pin box so I can see it thru the back window when I pull (or back) into a site. That one is for side to side level.
I took the trailer to the local high school football field parking lot that is quite level on a Saturday when it was empty. I set a carpenters level on the floor side to side and circled until it showed level, then adjusted the front level. Then turned the carpenters level front to back and again circled until it showed level. Then attached the small bubble level to the side.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I have two on the front on either side under the overhang and one on the drivers side by the landing gear switch. We use them all the time and they work great.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I have a large one mounted on top of the fifth wheel hitch. I can see it when using using the leveling control on the side of the rig. It's really useful.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I only have one for front to back level, I installed it in the propane compartment. so as i level with the switch i can watch the bubble. it's mounted on the back wall .
I use a 1ft digital level for side to side.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
oldgeezor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12003
Thanks for the ideas...
oldgeezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Greg,

I have 2 of them. One on the driver side or off door side and one at the bottom of the front cap smack-dab in the middle. I did exactly what BB TX did except, I set-up the bubble levels on our campsite. They do a fairly decent job. If I set the unit part of a bubble off, it really doesn't matter much because, we can't detect it when inside the unit.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I have the Lippert 6 point leveling system on my Big Sky but I still put the small bubble levels on the front left and front side by the leveling system box so I could see if the trailer was level enough to use the slides while overnight parking on the road with out unhooking the truck. I could do a manual leveling side to side without unhooking.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
I don't like it when the bed or bath doors swing open or closed on their own. Especially if we're staying in one place for a while. I have one of the small ones mounted on the side near the controls and a large on the pin box. I usually have DW inside with a small carpenters level and an FRS radio. She uses the upper floor and we get things level side to side first, then front to back. Then we open bath and bedroom doors half way and see if they stay put.
I like the idea of these digital levels. Just saw one on sale that's accurate to 0.1 degree. It would be great if there was a wireless gadget that would allow you to place the sensor inside and you could monitor side to side and front to back from outside.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I have three. The big one on the pin box for side to side and after a couple of times you learn how much you have to block the low side. I have a second small bubble level mounted on the drivers side near the propane door,for front to rear. I have a third bubble level mounted on the Propane tank door also on the drivers side, but I have only one bolt holding it in place.(Fairly tight) Now when I raise the monty to disconnect I put this level at level and leave it. I continue to level the trailer from front to back useing the second level. Now when I go to hook up I just bring the trailer(raise or lower) level with the third level and back the TV and bingo I am at the right height. This works great as long as no one plays with the level which those that I camp with have done a couple of times as a joke but now see the benifit so they use this system.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Like some here, I have the big one on the pin for side to side, and I have a small one on the driver's side by the landing gear switch for front to back. Then I use a bubble on the counter and the fridge just to make sure.

All told none of these are perfect, but they are awfully close. Between the hitch pin, the driver's side, the RV floor, the counter on the passenger side and the fridge, I am at about 99% all around. The doors don't seem to move and the sewer drains pretty good, so I'm happy with what we get.

I think the natural occurrence of RV flex will prevent perfection, so I don't worry about it any more than that. I screwed my levels in so they shouldn't fall out of adjustment (I didn't trust glue since I live in hot climate and didn't want them to move at all.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I have a big one on the pin box and it levels side to side and up and down. It really works well.They sell two different mounting brackets dont buy the plastic one it is hard to get level. The metal one is very accurate.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I used levels inside on the floor, the counter, tried the doors, etc. Once I had everything where I wanted it I mounted 2 levels outside where I can see them. I use those to level, works just fine, the last thing I want to do is run in and out getting everything leveled
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
Like sfish, I have the combo level on the pin box. Seems to be pretty accurate.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Looks like you have all kinds of suggestions on where to put levels. Let me give you one more suggestion. Go to Camping World and get one that has a slide on it that you can leave the slide set where you started. Sure makes it a lot easier to know what angle you were at when unhooking your truck.... JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Two small ones, one just below the Jack/Stabilizer control door and one just above the from lite (just around the corner from the control door. I too just use them to verify that the Level-Up did it's job.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I used a small stick-on by the left front compartment and my co-pilot uses a torpedo level on the floor in the kitchen and on the counter top. This worked well for us for 4 years...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote