Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Charlie44
Established Member

M.O.C. #11317
Sewer Tank Flusher

Fairly new to the Montana's. I am trying to use the Sewer Tank Flusher for the first time. I have tried every connection possible with my garden hose I have on board. When I open up the termination (Grey/Black) nothing comes out. I, like a lot of folks, have the labels reversed. I believe I need to connect a direct water line to the Sewer Tank Flusher and open up the "black" valve. Seems simple, however nothing happens. Hope everyone is enjoying and remembering why we have a Memorial Day.

Weather is perfect here at Dam Neck, Sea Mist Military Campground, Virginia Beach, VA.

Cheers
Charlie

Charlie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Sewer connection is the very bottom hose connection. The top one is for winterizing and you shouldn't hook a hose to that one ever except when you are winterizing. Then you just hook up the rv antifreeze with a hose fitting and let it suck out of the jug, The middle one is for your potable water (drinking water) Make sure that you open the black tank valve before you turn on the water to the blackwater flush,They are marked poorly.I used a labelmaker and marked mine in case I forgot. Took about 5 minutes to correctly label everything.
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Charlie44
Established Member

M.O.C. #11317
Thanks. I am connected to the proper connection. Does it take 5-10 minutes for the sewer connection terminator to show the "results?" Even when I close the sewer connection and wait 5 minutes I see no action on the black/Grey light panels or when I pull the black/Grey connections.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Do you hear water flowing through the flusher? I ask this because my last unit had a locked up flusher right from the factory and would not flush. It had to be replaced. In my case you could not hear water flowing through the flusher into the tank. I think you would know if water was flowing through the flusher into the tank. It makes a racket you can hear from inside the unit as well as outside.
It will take a few minutes for a good flush. If water is flowing properly you will have a good amount of water flowing out the sewer hose when you open the black water valve.
Just a warning. Do not get distracted and forget about the flushing. I have read of some fantastic stories of what happens when the tank flushing is left unattended.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Charlie44
Established Member

M.O.C. #11317
Joe,

I do not hear the sound as I do when I fill up the fresh water tank. I am going to try again. I talked with a fellow camper here and he indicated the flush is more of a spray and it might take a while to see the results. I will listen for the fill of the tank.

Thanks you.
Charlie
Old 05-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
well ...we can tell you we had the same troubles with our flusher....in the 3665 the check valve is under the bathroom sink ..believe it or not...so after several attempts to fix the problem by removing the ball and spring..etc...we ended up cutting all that pipe out and joining it together in the basement behind the wall panel...added a cut off valve in the command center so we can cut it on and off to prevent back flow...a couple of hose clamps, a piece of water hose about 6 inches long to join the cut pipe and a 1.97 plastic cut off valve solved the problem..works like a charm now...you can hear the water rushing into the black tank....its a cheap fix and quick to do...but need someone to verify the correct pipe under the sink before cutting it in the basement....good luck
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Charlie,

A little tip if you don`t use your out side shower,get a quick connect from WM hook your cold side from the shower, be sure to take shower head off ( I used a stretch hose) hooked to your flush out never have to use a garden hose again.
By he way you will hear the water running if it is working..

David
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
I have the same problem on my new 3455. It's one of the 3 things the dealer is planning on fixing when I take it in. Make sure that the water you are trying to put into your black tank isn't leaking into the basement. Mine did. I think that the backflow preventer is put in backwards, it's broken, or the hose is crimped somewhere.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Charlie44
Established Member

M.O.C. #11317
Thank you all! My shower hose actually was hooked up to the connection and this did not work so that is when I decided to use the garden hose. I have pressure going straight into the sewer tank flusher. Nada. Nothing. No sound. I believe my Montana left the factory without the proper quality control. In my outside control panel (all outside connections except sewer termination) the 3 cable/satellite connections do not work as well. Since it is under warranty, I prefer not to cut pipes. Got a feeling I have a slight warranty problem. Again, thanks for your input.

Charlie
Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
According to the directions we received for our black tank flusher, "full" water pressure is to be used to the connection in the utility section...we had a flow restricter limiting water pressure to 45psi on the line and nothing happened. When we removed the water flow restricter, worked pretty good. Some of the campgrounds we visit already have flow restricters on the water hookup...we have had to remove a couple of these in order to get our tank rinser working.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Michael and Camilla,
I hate to tell you this but I suspect those water restricters you removed are probably NOT restricters but rather they are backflow preventers. And they are, no doubt, required by law. In ten years of RVing I've NEVER seen a water restricter on a faucet unless it was left by the previous occupant. I've left at least one. It just doesn't make sense for a CG owner to put them on. They could control the water pressure from a central control point much more economically.

If the campsite has a double faucet on it I usually hoolup my flush hose to one of them and just leave it by the faucet. This way it is NOT on a water restricter and is ready to go when needed. It also makes it nice in case you need to rinse something off. And in a worse case situation you've got a water hose to use in case of fire. If the campsite does not have a double I carry a Y that I place on the one faucet. I put the water restricter on one of the outlets and the flush hose on the other. That way I've got the water controlled on one of them and full pressure on the one for the flush. Just what I do. There are other ways to do things. Good luck, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
we just got back from the state park here in oklahoma. and we had full hook ups and we used our black tank flush, you are right you will hear the water spraying in the tank. i have a 6in. clear adapter that hooks up to the sewer hose and the monty and then open the tank and flush away. i watch and when i see clear water running we are good. to go. sometimes ill turn it off and fill a little more water in the tank and rinse again just to catch everything,i use a garden hose. also but the quick disconnect for the shower would work good to i guess you would have to have potable water for that to work but no garden hose to mess with.
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
Charlie44
Established Member

M.O.C. #11317
I finally had time to take my fifth wheel back to the dealerships for some warranty work. The service manager indicated the flusher was indeed jammed. He said the 2011 flusher is much quieter than the older models. Has anyone heard of this? I can barely hear the flusher when it is on.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I'm glad to hear you got it taken care of.
Thanks for the posting, so we all know what can happen - even straight from the factory.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Glad to hear yours got taken care of easily. I take mine back to the dealer next week for the same thing. Hopefully, it will be fixed as easily.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Charlie44
Established Member

M.O.C. #11317
Forgot to mentioned, the service manager indicated it is a 2 hour "operation" per Keystone specs. I would put this as one of top ten items on anyone's checklist when they pick up their unit. Good luck to all of you.