Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
paphog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9574
Bed Saver by Blue Ox

Has anyone had or have a bed saver for there hitch they are made by Blue Ox I was trying to find best price and how they are liked any info would be appreciated. Thanks Jim (paphog)

paphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
I put one on mine this year. It was an easy install, about 20 to 30 minutes tops. The only requirement is a torque wrench which I didn't have a need for until this install. I bought mine at adventurerv.net, a company out of TN. The cost was less than 300. Small price to pay for peace of mind. Happy trails.
hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We have one--got it about 3 years ago, but I can't remember from where. I surfed the web for a couple of days before finding the best price ($199, on sale) and lucked into free shipping because of a promotion the business was running at the time. If you Google "Blue Ox bedsaver" you should turn up a wide range of prices and an even wider range of shipping charges. Maybe you'll even discover a sale or promotion. I wish I could remember where we got ours; it shipped exceptionally quickly, too.

Although we have a check-list we run through when hitching and unhitching, having that bedsaver provides extra insurance against at least one kind of accident.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim-- If you come to the MOC Central Plains Regional Rally here in Nebraska in July, you can talk the them personally and possibly get one a little cheaper. As hikerdoc mentioned it is an easy install. I picked mine up at the factory since it is here in Nebraska and installed it myself. Also as mentioned, a torque wrench is required but I had that already since I torque the wheels each and everytime we head out or are on the road. We had Blue Ox at our Rally last year and they put on a couple bedsaver while at the rally. We have a few Montana owners that have also come to Nebraska to have a bedsaver made specifically for their hitch. They do not make bedsavers for all hitches and sometimes bring the RVer in with their specific hitch, if they do not carry one for their specific hitch, and they will fabricate one for them. They have a nice little RV park right at the factory for you to stay at if fabrication is needed. It only takes 2-3 days and you have a bedsaver. You didn't mention which hitch you have so I can't tell you for sure if they make your specific needs. You can call Blue Ox and see if they make one for your hitch and if they do they will give you a price. If you have any questions drop me an email or PM me and I'll try and answer anything you might have. (I have no connection with Blue Ox except for being Wagonmaster for the Central Plains Rally and arranging them to come to our Rally.)
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Do get a Bedsaver. It's cheap insurance. You also need a torque wrench for torquing the lug nuts.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #6
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I got mine at adventurenet and I feel its cheap insurance.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Great insurance. I thought that I would never need one but heard the results on this forum of the expense incurred by others that had dropped their rig. A week after the easy install, I dropped the rig but the bed saver saved our truck and rig. I later changed trucks and hitches and discovered that Blue Ox did not make one for the new hitch. Called Blue Ox and was able to take truck to their factory in Nebraska, as Rondo stated. They put us up in their very nice, full hookup campground right next to the factory. They designed a saver for our hitch and installed it for free, because we had already purchased the old one. Great product and tremendous customer service.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Got mine to long ago to suggest a best price or where to get it... Do some Internet shopping and compare. It is cheap insurance..just in case of a accident. Never have used ours other than "test drops" but that is a good thing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Be advised that it will only save your bed, not your tailgate on a short bed truck unless you use a 5th wheel tailgate ! On short beds with stock gate when the pin slides back and down into the bed saver the back of your pin box will not make your tailgate look pretty.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John-- That's why you do the "tug test" with the tailgate down! My bedsaver is just the right height that when it drops (if it drops-- I also did the test drop as Rich did) it just clears the tailgate. I do have a new Moryde pinbox now so I have to test that also-- after I get the truck back from the body shop! Long story!!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Rondo, I have a blue ox on my short bed Dodge and just saying that if your hitch were to fail locking as some people have said even after doing the tug test it will get the tailgate! Have read and been told by others that they tought their hitch was locked and pulled all the way out of a campground only to drop the 5r on the truck, high hitched or whatever, it can and does happen.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Not saying it can't happen, just saying on our unit, I leave the tailgate down when doing the tug test! I always check the arms that go around the pin to make sure they are in place and make sure the locking bar and pin are in place. I'm just saying if I drop it in a tug test, it won't get to the tail gate(if it's down) or the sides since I've mounted the Bedsaver at the right height so the nose of the Monte does not catch the sides if dropped and the pin is caught by the Beadsaver. I know of two for sure that the hitch let go(high hitched or whatever)and it dropped on the tailgate and the sides. These were both outside of their campground they just left. It is not a pretty sight or sound when it happens! The Bedsaver, as said in prior posts, is the insurance policy you can have for a dropped Monte!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #13
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Did not intend to start a argument here, just not all people.
1. Do a tug test
2. Have their tailgate down
For the ones that don't a bed saver will not save your tailgate!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jliveit

Did not intend to start a argument here, just not all people.
1. Do a tug test
2. Have their tailgate down
For the ones that don't a bed saver will not save your tailgate!
I was up at the Ford dealership today, a guy brought his new Super Duty in for a re-flash, he said well, after 15 years of pulling my 5th wheel, I dumped it on the bed. No Bed saver.
My point is that we all are human and make mistakes, I bet he (Usually) did the 'Tug test'. Mistakes, lapses in attention.
I'm just sayin.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I look at is as a $250 insurance item to save $3K to $5K worth of damage. I believe like motorcycle riders there are two kinds. Those that have gone down and those that will. Same with 5th pulling. Those that have dropped it and those that will. Just my opinion.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #16
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I feel so strongly about adding the "bonehead move" insurance that I am working with the blue ox folks to form fit and function test one for my 18k superglide. I will stop by Pender on my way to Rondo's thing to get the final fit check and installation.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #17
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I have one and wouldn’t want to be without it!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We got our bed saver before we got the 5th wheel. It has saved my bed several times. When we were in KC last year we changed sites within the CG and as usually happens I did a pull test and it held, but as I was backing into the new site the rig dropped into the bed saver. I was at a 45 degree angle to the rig and the back corner of the pin box didn't exactly destroy my tailgate but it did scrape off a fair amount of the bed liner cap on the tailgate. I was just 1 inch too long on the diagonal so the gate got a little bit of a outward bow. Much better than what could have happened if I didn't have it at all. All the previous times it happened I was on a straight pull and had room between the gate and the pinbox. It was just on the diagonal that I had a problem.. I LOVE my Bed Saver!!!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by paphog

Has anyone had or have a bed saver for there hitch they are made by Blue Ox I was trying to find best price and how they are liked any info would be appreciated. Thanks Jim (paphog)
Jim

I got at AdventureRV.NET

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Blue Ox BedSaver Reese Pro Series 15K 5th Wheel Hitch (S078-943925) = $168.99
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $168.99
Standard Ground (Deliver To Zipcode: 28269): $33.00
Shipping Insurance: $1.26
Total: $203.25

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #20
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Ours dropped onto our bedsaver, we were at an angle and on a slope, the back corner of the Moryde made a small "tear" on the endgate cap, small amount of damage compared to $5000 when it happened wihtout the bedsaver. we had done a pull test, we think it may have been high hitched since we were on a little bit of a hill
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote