Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Pumpout precautions?

Never had it done, myself, but was a local RV shop today and they are processing multiple holding tank relacement estinmates from a local CG. Apparently the pumpout folks cracked the holding tanks?! Ideas, experience, or suggestions? This must be preventable?

capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
These pump-out folks are the same ones who pump out the port-a-potties. I don't know if they can reduce the pressure or not, I have heard of them collapsing a holding tank. I have seen them do a "bucket dump" where they first dump the sewage into a large bucket and then suck it up from there. If they insist on hooking up directly to the Rv, I would hold down the flush peddle until they were finished.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We won't use the Honey Wagon...Nope...Not at all...Did it once in our previous rig and regretted it...

We had valve leaks and shortly thereafter had to replace our galley and black tank...Coincidence?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
So....for that to happen you would need to create suction greater than the vent pipe capacity? I suppose it could happen if left drawing on an empty tank for excessive period...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Our 2006, built in 2005, had lighter weight plastic and the tanks were not supported. This is why I think that we had a failure. Of course, I could be wrong...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We have all had ours pumped out at the Quartzsite Rally and I don't remember anyone having a problem there. If there was a problem I would sure like to here about it.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
At the Quartzsite rally, the honey wagons had an air vent in their suction line that reduced the vacuum.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We've had the Honey Wagon pump us out several times. We've never had a problem. I know there are stories out there that they will pump so hard that they will collapse the tanks but I've never seen it.

The tank systems are not a closed system so unless the vent pipe is defective and is closed there would always be a sufficient supply of air to prevent the pumpers from causing the tanks to collapse or otherwise break the tanks. Of course opening the toilet would help add more air to the system.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
When we were at Quartzite we had ours pumped out Dick Driver had a stick he lent us that he uses to hold the toilet valve open and we had no trouble.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
We have had our tanks emptied many times by a honey wagon. They always hooked up our dump hose then sucked it out of the hose. I opened the valve all the way and the truck always kept up without a problem. That may avoid some problems.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Interesting ... I've never had my tanks pumped but will file this away for reference in case I do. Good thinking regarding propping the flush valve open.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We have spent months and months in Quartzite in the past six years. The "Super Straw" is one of our best friends there. There are always rumors about a friend's sister-in-law being told by a neighbor that their cousin's in-laws had a tank collapse while being pumped. We have never had a problem nor are we aware of of anyone having a problem.

If you don't trust the vent line, by all means hold the pedal open on the toilet. But what do you open for the galley and shower tanks? Suck the water out of the trap(s) first?

The tanks in Montanas are POS. They are flimsy plastic, inadequately supported tanks that tend to crack near the outlet valve. I am more concerned about getting them too full and the affect of the weight, and/or moving the rig with more than a minimum amount of liquid them. Too many owners have had leaky tanks and never used a pumper truck.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I have to use a tank washer thingy on a house though the toilet to clean my tank and I have a plastic thing that goes in the toilet hole to keep it open. This would be a good thing to have if concerned when having tank pumped.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

At the Quartzsite rally, the honey wagons had an air vent in their suction line that reduced the vacuum.

Bob

A truck comes into the park where we stay and the older driver does a really good job. He was off one week and a young kid came in with the truck and every time it started pumping he would cover the air vent so it would pump faster. He was done in about half the time it usually takes. If I ever get ours pumped out I will be sure to hold the toilet open. The other two tanks have vents AND open drains so lots of air can get in. Just my opinion.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote