Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
What do you do?

In the real world what do you do? The Montana book says to run your slides in and out once a week when you are parked. Do you do this and why are we told to do this. This is not my first trailer, (been pulling RV trailers over 20 years), but this is the first time I have seen this. Thank You For The Answers

Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I could only venture that Keystone is concerned about possible pitting of the exposed part of your slide cylinder rods. If you rub them with tranny fluid or spray them with spray lube from time to time, I don't see why you'd have to cycle the slides each week. I've left mine out 3-4 weeks at a time with no issues and like you, I've owned several fivers.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I often leave my slides out for two to four weeks at a time. I agree with wht Dieselguy said on the subject.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never done that in 5 years on the road. We sit for 6 months in Florida during the winter. we do keep everything lubricated and we just did check and clean everything before leaving.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yeah, like Richfaa said. We sat in one spot for 9 months. Cleaned and lubed everything before moving. About to move again after 4 month here same protocol, clean and lube. Of course, we do test them about a week before departure date just in case issues have arisen.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Just tested ours yesterday after sitting in Florida since Oct 3rd. Purred like a kitten.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
CaptainRandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #11312
Down on the farm when I was a boy (gee that was a long time ago) we use to leave the tractor impliments out in the weather and only use them once or twice a year with no problems on leaking hydraulic fluid or mechanical problems, that is not to say it is not a good idea to cycle your slides once in a while or lube them on a regular basis.

Getting under the unit on a regular basis also helps spot problems or potential problems before they start or at an early stage.
CaptainRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
When on a site for an extended period of time, I run our slides in and out every few weeks...prior to doing these I use a spray lube/cleaner sold by CW on the slide mechanisms and them wipe the mechanisms down...do not know if this activity makes any difference (as some have pointed out), but gives me some peace of mind.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
For 8 years-- open for 6 Months during the summer never closed

And closed for Winter storage never a problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I check and lube everything in the spring after I take Montey out of winter hibernation. Spray all of the underside tracks with a spray type graphite. I also spray all of the rubber slide seals with rubber lubicant. It keeps them from binding and folding under at the wrong time. Get it's checkup once a year unless something is obviously wrong.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Weldon

In the real world what do you do? The Montana book says to run your slides in and out once a week when you are parked. Do you do this and why are we told to do this. This is not my first trailer, (been pulling RV trailers over 20 years), but this is the first time I have seen this. Thank You For The Answers
I do the opposite, I run them in/out only when necessary. I figure they only have so many cycles before they quit working or break.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We don't do that, either, but we're not often in one place more than a month, occastionally two months. I do keep things lubricated, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote