Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
MORE ON FILL OF FRESH WATER

Yesterday I posted a question about refilling the fresh water using the onboard water pump. I want to do this because when you are set up and staying in a park without water hook up and you run out of water then you could use this system (if it exists)to put water into the fw tank from a 5 gal. container without having to lift the container and pour it into the side receptacle. My 2007 Jayco Eagle would do this and I used it often in our Ontario Provincial Parks. I set the valves up the same as when you sanitize the system,and I never had a pump problem.
Thanks so much for all the response and when we finally get our trailer home I'll try the system and report back to you guys.

2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Thanks for the other post. I always had the same problem and so was happy for the idea. It sounds like it will work in our montanas.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have done it. It works. It is handy!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i dont understand? does your rig not have the water fill with the vent to fill the fresh water tank.if so cant you use this entry?
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I evidently don't do what you do. I see my response to your question had nothing to do with it. I have no need for the arrangement you describe. So I apologize for my misinformed answer.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Artfuldodger, would you mind explaining this procedure? It sounds intriguing. If I understand, you are wanting to add water to the onboard tank from an external 5 gallon tank without lifting the external tank to pour it into the water outlet. And without an external water hookup. So you're thinking of using the onboard pump to siphon the water from the external tank? What I don't understand is the connections and the steps involved to do this. But I'd sure like to know how to do this. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Steve, I don't want to hijack the thread from Artfuldodger, but here is what I've done.
Connect a short section of hose to the "Winterize Connection" normally use to siphon RV Antifreeze from the jug and pump through the lines. But now turn the "Power Fill" valve to the fill position. This will allow the on-board pump to siphon the water from the container and pump it into the fresh water tank. Now this all requires the extra connections which I'm not sure if all the older units have. Mine is a 2010 and I used this method to ensure some antifreeze in the line to the fresh water tank.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Now you tell me, after I humped 3 six gal. water containers from the hydrant to the external fill, all the time trying to avoid a hernia while they slowly drained into the water fill. This is a great idea and I'll use it next time I need to fill the tanks from a container.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent idea! Our 2007 has those connections. I think any of them with the water connection center behind the basement door can probably do this.

Thanks!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
More than once, I have unrolled hose of 150 ft or more to get to the nearest water source to get enough water for just two more nights. If I had thought of your method, I would have saved a lot of effort. I will use it next time I need a few gallons to get me thru.
Thanks.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

Now you tell me, after I humped 3 six gal. water containers from the hydrant to the external fill, all the time trying to avoid a hernia while they slowly drained into the water fill. This is a great idea and I'll use it next time I need to fill the tanks from a container.
So have I; last summer at least 5-6 times with a 5gal soft jug at a state campground; seems like I was hugging that water bottle against the trailer for hours! Great idea and thanks for sharing it with us. This is what makes the MOC forum so great!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Or, another option that I have used a couple of times....a 55 gallon PLASTIC barrel. Clean, of course, and sanitized, and I have a white/semi-clear barrel, marked "potable water ONLY". I used a small 12 volt marine type bilge pump, available from most marine supply houses, or Grainger. It has a "buna-N" (rubber type) impeller in it, and is self-priming. IF (big if) you have room, carry the barrel in the back of the truck, or in the trailer. Then, when you need water, take the barrel in the back of the truck, go to the local source, fill barrel, then back and pump it into the tank. Either from the "open" fill port, the "city" water connection, or you could use the "on board pump" to siphon out of the barrel. 55 gallons will fill, or darn near fill the fresh water tank.
One other thing I have done, where camping at a location where there is NOT a sewer hookup, I have a second 55 gallon PLASTIC barrel, dark colored (blue) and use it for the grey water. Yes, we like our showers, and fill the grey water tank in two days. I have the 3/4 hose bib connection for the sewer outlet, and hook a second pump I have up to that fitting (yes, I have the pumps marked and separated) and pump out the grey water tank ONLY into the barrel, then take it to the dump and pump it out with the same pump. I DO NOT EVER use this system to empty the black water tank, and generally don't need to. I leave the black water drain valve CLOSED. We can go over a week on the black water, and by then we are generally leaving and can go by a dump station for that. The barrels are just to save having to deal with many trips with 5 gallon buckets. And, it only works IF you have room to haul them.
Just my method, for what it's worth.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote