Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
New Montana Mountaineer Woes

Picked up our new 326RLT Mountaineer on the 23rd of June from the dealer in Iowa and stayed there that night loading it and getting ready to go to Canada the next morning. The dealer was excellent and very accomidating. The next morning while getting the coach hooked up I noticed that the back up mirror on the front had fallen off and was dangling by a thread of double sided tape. The tech fixed it as soon as he got to work and asked if there were any other problems. I told him I didn't think so so he went back to the shop. Meanwhile I then tried to plug our 12 volt cooler into the 12 volt plug in the storage compartment and as soon as I touched it into the plug the slides started coming out! Nice! So I go back into the service dept and tell the tech and he comes out to check out the problem. Well three hours later and after he had the whole electrical panel out, he came out and said we were set to go. So we headed out for Canada, it pulled great and we stopped just inside the Michigan state line at a rest area and I decided I would try the cooler again. I just started plugging it in and the slides started coming out again. Nice fix! Well when we got up into Canada I decided to fix the problem myself which wasn't much of a problem since there were three blank circuits on the board and the fix was easy. We did call the dealer and he said to bring it back, not really an option after we head for home as we live in Montana. Also, when I was going to show a friend the hydraulic pump system, we noticed that the clamp on wire nuts were both missing on the pigtails and lying in the bottom of the bin, they had been crimped on the end and just pushed the wires out! So far I am very dissapointed with the quality of the Montana, but they have my money. Well on Monday we are heading back to Montana and are going to go all the way back to Iowa and stop by the dealer and tell them our complaints, I know it is not their fault but I am hoping that they will be willing to back us up to Keystone because when I get home they will be getting a piece of me!!! Thanks for letting me vent!

restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Restez,
I'm sorry to hear of your Mountaineer problems. I am, however, confused by your "mirror" statement. Since when did they start putting mirrors on TTs or 5th wheels?

When we started having electrical problems we simply went through the rig and checked every connection we could get to. We found some loose ground wires. While at it we also checked our water supply. There we found a couple of loose connections. So you might want to check some of the water connections also.

By the way if you don't have a list of things to check when buying a rig you might want to visit the "HOME" page. There you will find some lists that will help you.

If you have a good dealer you have the first step in getting things the way you want them. Also you will find Keystone is usually more than willing to step forward and help. We've found that "sugar" rather than "spice" tends to work best when dealing with any dealer or manufacturer.

Good luck and keep us updated with your experiences.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Hamrad, since I believe 2008 Keystone has been putting a large mirror center-line and low on the front of the Montanas as a hook-up aid. I believe it is chromed plastic, but it is there... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Dennis I'm going to take a guess and say he's referring to the mirror by the Pin Box. Just a guess!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks Guys for the answer regarding the mirror. Now that makes sense. Apparently they are not attached very well. My rig is so old that it does not have such a 'high-teck' device.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
JD5150

M.O.C. #10485
Restez,
I am also sorry to hear of your Mountaineer problems. Me and my wife just picked up our new Montana not the Mountaineer but the 2010 Montana 3150RL a week earlier then you did at the same dealer. Me and my wife went from there to Green Bay, Wisconsin to her sisters. We stayed there for three days and noticed some minor problems, I think some problems came from rough roads in Milwaukee but don't know for sure. Then I called Thompson's RV and told them of the problems and also told them I did not want to bring the Montana back all the way to Iowa, so they gave me the number to Larry’s RV in North Platte, Nebraska, close to our home to have some warranty work done. Drop off three days after the call at Larry's RV, then picked it up seven days after that and every thing was fixed. Thank you Larry’s RV and Thompson's RV for the great price and quick response so I could have things fixed fast and Keystone for a great product. So far I would buy another Keystone product.
JD5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
restez, sorry to here of your new rig woes...hopefully you will not have any further problems, but if you do, this is the forum to get a lot of information from.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
restez.. Please call keystone and relate these issues to them. Send them the Post after you have talked to them. Find out who your district sales rep is and give him a call. If we do not complain about poor workmanship such as this is will go on.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
We picked up our 2011 Mountaineer 347 THT a few weeks ago and just got back from Yellowstone & Las Vegas. We had little time to try everything out but the dealer did their best with the DPI. We had only one hiccup when a Dexter EZE Lube bearing cover came off on one wheel. I was able to knock it back on till be got home. Everything else seemed to work fine.

Sorry you seem to have had some problems. Our dealer (Leisure Time in OKC) called when we got home and asked how our trip went? They are going to replace the bearing cap and check all the others bearings and caps for plus some other things we want to add.

Good luck.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Thanks everyone for the advice, we are leaving Canada first thing in the morning and taking the same route home so will take us right through Davenport, Iowa, avoiding Chicago, so we will stop in and relay the problems to them. I have no problem having our local dealer in Montana fixing the problems, hopefully we won't have any more. Really love the coach and workmanship other than the wiring seems to be good. Will keep updated when I get home.
restez is offline   Reply With Quote