Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Another quick tire question

I'm sorry, I know this comes up all the time. But I've seen some who say they run with the Bridgestone Duravis. Would that be the 500 or the M700 HD? I also cannot find the weight rating for either tire. I have 7K axles so assume I would want at least a weight rating of 3500. Thanks in advance.

Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:52 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
The Bridgestone Duravis R500HD LT235/85R16 has a weight rating of 3042 lbs. Based on what you are looking for of at least 3500 lbs, it would not serve your needs.

The Bridgestone Duravis M700 that I have on my truck (LT265/70R17) has a weight rating of 3195 lbs. and I believe would not fit nor satisfy your weight rating needs as well.

LonnieB maybe along to guide you better.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Thanks for that. You are correct, it appears the weight rating is too low.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Others will chime in ,but IMO the only tire that you should get is a G rated tire. I am in the procees of putting on a set of Goodyear G614's. G rated. I have on the missions's now, and figure after two years its time to change before my luck runs out.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

The Bridgestone Duravis R500HD LT235/85R16 has a weight rating of 3042 lbs. Based on what you are looking for of at least 3500 lbs, it would not serve your needs.

LonnieB maybe along to guide you better.
I have the same tire, put four on in Nov 2009...mine have the same weight rating, which is not enough for 7k axles.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Thanks for your replies. I have 2 of the 614s on now. The price I'm quoted this am is $100 (a piece) more than what I paid just 6 months ago. I've decided to go ahead and buy 2 more 614s because they are so well praised by everyone here. I sure haven't had any trouble with the two I have on now, course you wouldn't expect to in 6 months. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Jim,
I was just digging again on the Goodyear web site and found that the G614 was "Designed specifically to handle the demands of trailer applications."
Check out the web site below;
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html
Good luck with the G614
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
May I suggest another direction in thought? It seems to me what is important is that the WEAKEST link be rated to handle the weight you put on it. For example, if you will have no more than 3,000 pounds on each wheel, then the tire must have a rating of at least 3,000 lbs (plus whatever cushion you are comfortable with, if any).

It is NOT necessary in my opinion that the tires have at least half the rating of the axle UNLESS you are going to put that much weight on them.

I'm not saying this well so let me try another approach. Let's take the idea that the tire must have equal or higher ratings than the axle, then let's carry that a bit farther. Just how much weight can the frame handle? Let's assume, for illustration, that these Montanas have a very heavy frame that can handle 18,000 lbs. And the pinweight is 3,000 lbs. That leaves a potential 15,000 lbs weight on the axles, max. Oops, our 7k axles are not enough. So we trade them for 8k axles. And now we need tires rated for 4k each since the 3500 lb tires won't match up to the 8k axles.

Does that make sense? Any assembly is as strong as its weakest link. If your axles are 7k but the tires are 3142 each, then you're ok so long as you don't put more than 3142 lbs on any of the tires.

If I'm off base, somebody please explain in terms I can understand.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jim, just because you have 7k axles does not mean you have a total of 14k weight on them. It just means you can. With out knowing your specific trailer, part of the total weight of the trailer is taken up by the pin, so if you have 15k total weight on your trailer, 2-3k of that is on the pin and NOT the axles. My trailer is 15,600 but only 12,600 on the axles and 3000 on the pin. 12,600 divided by 4 equals 3,150lbs on each wheel. This is what you must cover with your tire rating. This is why Keystone gets away with lesser rated tires. Not many of the E rated tries will carry that much weight, that is why I went with the G rated Goodyear614's rated at 3750 each. I believe you should have some safety margin on these tires as each time you hit a bump in the road the load increases on the tires, hence, many blowouts with the E rated tires. While I recommend the Goodyears, many have other ideas. Lonnie from New Mexico can help you out if you write him.....I have been thru a set of Missions and a set of Power Kings, both a quality(?) Chinese made E rated ST Tire.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #10
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

May I suggest another direction in thought? It seems to me what is important is that the WEAKEST link be rated to handle the weight you put on it. For example, if you will have no more than 3,000 pounds on each wheel, then the tire must have a rating of at least 3,000 lbs (plus whatever cushion you are comfortable with, if any).

It is NOT necessary in my opinion that the tires have at least half the rating of the axle UNLESS you are going to put that much weight on them.

I'm not saying this well so let me try another approach. Let's take the idea that the tire must have equal or higher ratings than the axle, then let's carry that a bit farther. Just how much weight can the frame handle? Let's assume, for illustration, that these Montanas have a very heavy frame that can handle 18,000 lbs. And the pinweight is 3,000 lbs. That leaves a potential 15,000 lbs weight on the axles, max. Oops, our 7k axles are not enough. So we trade them for 8k axles. And now we need tires rated for 4k each since the 3500 lb tires won't match up to the 8k axles.

Does that make sense? Any assembly is as strong as its weakest link. If your axles are 7k but the tires are 3142 each, then you're ok so long as you don't put more than 3142 lbs on any of the tires.

If I'm off base, somebody please explain in terms I can understand.
I think I know what your getting at Steve. I guess my thinking is that I don't want to limit what I can do in the future. Right now we don't carry around very much and a lesser rated tire would be ok. However in a couple of years we want to fulltime and a less rated tire could impose restrictions I would not be happy with. We may need every bit of capacity we can get.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #11
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Jim, just because you have 7k axles does not mean you have a total of 14k weight on them. It just means you can. With out knowing your specific trailer, part of the total weight of the trailer is taken up by the pin, so if you have 15k total weight on your trailer, 2-3k of that is on the pin and NOT the axles. My trailer is 15,600 but only 12,600 on the axles and 3000 on the pin. 12,600 divided by 4 equals 3,150lbs on each wheel. This is what you must cover with your tire rating. This is why Keystone gets away with lesser rated tires. Not many of the E rated tries will carry that much weight, that is why I went with the G rated Goodyear614's rated at 3750 each. I believe you should have some safety margin on these tires as each time you hit a bump in the road the load increases on the tires, hence, many blowouts with the E rated tires. While I recommend the Goodyears, many have other ideas. Lonnie from New Mexico can help you out if you write him.....I have been thru a set of Missions and a set of Power Kings, both a quality(?) Chinese made E rated ST Tire.
Thank you Phil. You and I think a lot alike about tires. I have been thru a set of Missions, Carlisle and now working on the G614. I want to maintain my weight capacity even though I am not using all of it now. I hate to bother Lonnie with a personal message as I am sure he must get thousands of those. The only reason I was thinking of going to a BFG or Michelin was because the price of the G614 has gone up over a hundred bucks in the six months since I bought the last pair. Anyway I'm just going to swallow hard and put two more G614s on and hope that with my newly straightened axle I won't have anymore abnormal tire wear or blowouts like I had this past week.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sounds like a plan!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim Jarvis

I think I know what your getting at Steve. I guess my thinking is that I don't want to limit what I can do in the future. Right now we don't carry around very much and a lesser rated tire would be ok. However in a couple of years we want to fulltime and a less rated tire could impose restrictions I would not be happy with. We may need every bit of capacity we can get.
Jim, that's good thinking. We are fulltiming and recently went with the G-rated G614 tires because of repeated problems with the Chinese E-rated tires. We didn't "need" the G rating because of weight although we were very close to the rating limits on the E's. We primarily went with the G's for a combination of getting the Made in USA, the reputation of the G614, and to allow some breathing room on the tire ratings, like you are thinking.

As for the price, I need to go back and see if you posted the price you are seeing. Back in April of this year we bought the G614's in southern California (San Diego county) and paid a total out the door price of $253 and change per tire. That included removal and disposal fees for the old tires, mounting, balancing, installing, and tax on the new ones.

Goodyear's website has info on a rebate of $10 per tire that I got and included in my price, above. I am not sure when that rebate expires but I think it's sometime in July. Your dealer should have the forms. Or you can print them from the GY website.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
The rebate expired in June , sending for it expires end of july, if purchased by the end of june

On edit, sorry they started a new ten dollar rebate on the G614's July 1 thru Sept 30, mailed in by Oct 31. Looks like a on going rebate
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote