Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Bud and Monty
Established Member

M.O.C. #6978
Regeneration??

I have noticed on some of the forums that some of you have talked about regeneration and power loss and whatnot. And when to know you are in regeneration. I am not familiar with this phrase. Can anyone explain to me just what is regeneration and is this something bad or good and will we all experience it? Have owned a Dodge cummins in the past never heard of it with them .Getting the new Ford F350 soon.And curious as to what regeneration actually is, and how I am going to know Im in it. And is this something that only happens during breakin or periodically? Thanks in advance

Bud and Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I believe Richfaa will be along to respond. He has a new Ford F350 and also experience with Regeneration.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Regeneration applies only to the NEW (2007) diesel engines.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Regeneration occurs in the newer Diesel engines 07 1/2 in the dodge and GM and 08 in the Ford Diesel. Do a google for a complete education. It has to do with the new EPA standards..we do Want clean air do we not??? Some of the symptoms of regeneration can be, loss of power, smell of diesel fuel, higher RPM's Very high EGT temps.The only sure way to know for sure if you are in a regeneration is by installing a pre EGT guage such as this one http://www.aeroforcetech.com/ as you will immediately see high EGT temps..and I mean high 1000 to 1250 Degrees.The regeneration can last for as long as 20/30 Minutes. There will be a drop in MPG during that time...We have see a drop from 15MPG to 8 MPG for 20 Min's.. All the new trucks do it... Don't care what Ford, Dodge or GM or marketing says..the above is real life. We highly recommend a Pre turbo EGT so that you know when regeneration takes place and have some control over the trucks performance while in regeneration. It can be very easy to not notice regeneration without observing the EGT temps. Just my opinion and experience.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bud and Monty, as others said, this applies only to those engines required by law to meet the new emissions standards. That includes the new F350 you'll buy as well as those mentioned above.

I cannot feel any degradation in power in my Dodge when it is regenerating, whether towing or solo, uphill or down. The only way I can tell is I see the mpg dropping slowly when there is no other reason for it to do so. I can tell regen is done when it starts back up. It doesn't seem to affect overall mpg by much. Maybe 1/10 mpg over a few hundred miles. I do not yet have a pyro (egt gauge) or I'd probably see the temp increase there.

The new trucks all have a diesel particulate filter (DPF) that "scrubs" the exhaust, much like a catalytic converter. Because of that, here's what my Dodge diesel tailpipe looks like at about 25,000 miles...

No more sooty tailpipes or black smoke from the diesel!

When the sensor tells the computer the DPF is getting full, it dumps some raw fuel into the exhaust to burn and increase the temperature of the exhaust. That is enough to burn out the residue in the DPF, thus cleaning it out for further use. My understanding is this DPF will need to be replaced every 125,000 to 150,000 miles. The DPF and this cleaning process has been used in Europe for a number of years so I assume they have enough experience to know that replacement timing is reasonable. And, thus this process is not exactly new technology. It's just new to this country.

We have 29,000 on this Dodge and I still cannot tell a regen is going on except when I notice the mpg dropping slightly. I hope this helps explain to you what this is all about. So far I'm finding it not at all a concern. I'm very happy with highway solo mileage of 18 to 22 (19 to a bit over 20 being most common), city mileage solo of 16 to 17. Towing mileage is a bit less than I expected, though. Towing 14,620 lbs (weight **does** make a difference) at 64 mph we get anywhere from 10 to 11.6, depending on wind and terrain. Once and only once we got 13.3. That's the only time above 12. I thought we'd do a bit better when towing.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
AS a further note. Regeneration is most likely to occur at speeds of 35 MPH and below. I do not recall ever having a "high speed" regeneration although we are told they can occur.Most of the symptoms I describe above took place while towing our 3400 in slow or city conditions where the effects of regeneration are pronounced. The tail pipe pictured should always be clean and any trace of soot in the tail pipe is a indication of a malfunctioning DPF.We had a solo regeneration the other day here in the city that lasted only about 10 mins and would not have been noticable if I had not noted the EGT temps rise from @ 500 degrees to 1000/1100 degrees. We dialed in the MPG O meter and noted a 5MPG drop during the regen cycle.. I agree that over the long run it will have little effect on over all MPG. Steve, having a $%#&&*^ Cummins will get much better MPG that these fine Fords and the regen effects may be less noticable..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
-- Steve -- that 'new' tail pipe cost much??

Local Dodge dealer has a 'Risterol' model Megacab in that my wife loves but it doesn't have the tow package (no tow mirrors???, and only 4 pin plug on the back. Dealer tells me (and ABQ dealer told me the same thing) that Dodge built these and then filled dealer orders after the fact... doesn't make sense why they would build a diesel heavy duty and not put a tow package on it!!!! In any case, off topic but had to comment on that tail pipe.

Neighbor's 2008 Duramax has close to 24K on it now and tail pipe is not sooted up at all either...He swears by it and delivers horse trailers for a local builder.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:10 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, you are probably right about the 35 mph. I haven't read anything about that. The regens I've noticed have all been at highway speeds. But perhaps I've not noticed because I don't yet have a pyro. Thus I don't see the temperature climb. And mileage fluctuations in the city with all the stop and go are normal and I wouldn't realize a mileage change between this stoplight and that one is because of a regen.

At this point I'm assuming Dodge regens work just like the others.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
Bud and Monty
Established Member

M.O.C. #6978
Thanks for the info .Once again as usual you all have been very informative.
Bud and Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
On the new Dodge a warning comes up on the overhead counsel. You are suppose to take it on the hi way and run at hi way speed.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good point, Don. That warning comes up when it has not been driven enough at high enough speeds to reach a high enough temperature for long enough to clear the dpf. Boy, that was a mouthful.

I had that message come up once shortly after a recall to replace the O2 sensor. I immediately returned to the dealer who figured out the tech installed the new sensor but failed to flash the computer with the program to properly use the redesigned sensor. They remedied that and I've not seen that message again. So, I guess on the Dodge it needs to run at higher speeds to regen.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #12
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I haven`t had a regen message yet on the overhead. Only "oil change required see dealer" Changed the oil with Shell rotella T and reset the computer by turning key on without starting and pressing the gas pedal 3 times slowly. I guess the regen must have happened on the highway because I haven`t noticed one yet. I have about 10,000 miles on it now
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mark and Donita, this might be a bit off topic but I'd like to give you a tip that's not in the manual anywhere. I learned this on a Dodge/Cummins forum. You don't need to buy a reader to see what trouble codes are in the computer. Turn the key to off, then turn it to ON, back to OFF, etc 3 times, stopping on ON. If there are codes, they will display one at a time on the digital odometer. When done or if no codes it will display "--done--". The meaning of the codes are available by googling "obdii codes" which is the name of the computer system. There are several versions out there but most of the codes are the same for all. Some are unique to a brand or model.

I can't remember if you have to put it in Trip Odometer first or not so try it both ways.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 AM   #14
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Thanks Steve but getting the codes as you describe have been available on all Chrysler, Dodge etc models for a while now. I do have the official diagnostic codes in a repair book that I purchased from the Chrysler admin office in Windsor. The same ones the dealership mechanics use. I don`t have one for the New Diesels yet. We pay $20 for them. Some models come in 3 book sets as thick as a phone book each, still $20 for the set
Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I should have noted that you may already know this (which you did) and it was as much as anything for those not aware of it. Dodge does not put that info in the manual so we have to learn it from others. Sorry I sounded like speaking down to you. It wasn't intended that way. That $20 set of manuals sounds worth having.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #16
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
No problem Steve I didn`t take it that way, didn`t even think that!! You are a wealth of info on this Forum. You can`t possibly know what others on this forum are experienced on. Even though I may have known, someone else might have read it and it became new info to them. Keep up the good work, I take your expertise very seriously, have a great summer!!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I'm sure my Chevy has went into regeneration but if and when it did, I haven't ever noticed. I am getting a little less MPG than I did with the 2007 Chevy Classic. But as for towing I am getting about the same if not a little better.

Also talked to Chevy dealer service department and ask about the reprogram of the ECM in ref to the letter from GM. I ask were there anything about a upgrade to increase fuel mileage and of course he laughed. Oh well cost nothing to ask. He did ask if I had any gadgets other that OEM and I said no, why would I need anymore HP or Torq when the Chevy Duramax is the most powerful HD on the planet. I will take the Chevy in sometime this week. I think GM is on the ball as for as keeping the Silverado working at its best. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote