Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
cunninghamjr

M.O.C. #12635
leveling help please!!!!!!!!!

just got montana 3750 how do you level it with electric jacks the bed room has my head running down hill

cunninghamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Do you have the Level-Up or just front landing gear?
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
cunninghamjr

M.O.C. #12635
my are electic front and rear
Old 07-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My suggestion is to level the wheels first so side to side is level.
Then put the front legs down, remember to leave travel if you need to lower the nose below the travel position when hooked to the truck. Level with the front jacks then put down your rear jacks to just stabilize the rear.

I hope this makes sense and helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
okay, the rear are just stabilizing jacks they are not for leveling.

First, you want to level it side to side.

Next, use your front landing gear to level front to back.

Then, you should be level side-to-side and front-to-back so you can extend the stabilizers.

I hope I'm not misunderstadning your question...
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Here is a little more info that I hope helps.

http://www.newrver.com/publish/rvlevelingtrailer.shtml
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
cunninghamjr

M.O.C. #12635
that what i did but it has my bed running down hill do i need a support jack on that slid
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Good link Wayne!

Bobby, just let us know if you need any more help with this!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cunninghamjr

that what i did but it has my bed running down hill do i need a support jack on that slid
You're likely just not level side-to-side. Bring your left side of trailer up more....
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
cunninghamjr

M.O.C. #12635
thanks for your help
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cunninghamjr

thanks for your help
Sure, does that make sense? Just need more boards under the left tires... then when level side-to-side, level it front-to-back. Then stabilize it....
Old 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Just my opinion, but regarding the slide stabilizers - they have one huge drawback. If you lose air in a tire on the same side as the slide, you're going to tweak the slide as the trailer sinks lower onto the stabilizer.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When you say downhill, do you mean at the head/foot or at either side of the bed? And we're assuming the head of the bed is on the driver's side.

If the head or foot are not level then the side-to-side level is off. While still hitched to the TV you need one or more stackable blocks on the low side axle. These leveler blocks should be no more than each one 1 inch thick and they should be stackable in case the side to side level is way off - I use the orange Lynx levelers but any brand should do or make your own 2x8 blocks with 45 degree angles on either side so you can drive up on the tire that needs to be raised. Make sure the leveling block is completely centered so the tire sits flat on it (not on any edge). I have had to stack as many as 3 layers on one side to get level. I have a level permanently mounted to the pin so I can move the trailer onto the blocks then see how level the rig is side to side. If not level, I add or remove blocks then drive back onto the blocks. I also put a level on the kitchen counter to check for sure. (this pin one may not have the granularity to tell the level.

After it is level side to side, it is then VERY important to chock the trailer wheels nice and tight so the trailer does not move forward or backward (X chocks and triangular chocks will do). The trailer must be rock solid from movement. Then loosen the hitch bar and extend the landing gear to just raise the fifth wheel off the hitch plate. Drive the truck off, then raise or lower the landing gear until the front to back is level. In my rig the landing gear is operated from a switch in the basement. So I put a level from front to back on the flat part of the basement next to the switch and raise or lower the landing legs until the bubble is centered. You need to find a flat part of the rig to use for your reference (freezer, countertop, basement floor, etc.)

Now the rig is level. Bring down the rear stabilizers until they are snug. They should not be stabilized so tight as to raise the rig - they are for stabilizing not for raising the rig and you could break them if you torque them too much.

If you need more help I have found that RVers are some of the most helpful people on the planet. It would not hurt to ask for some helpful hints from a neighbor's rig and if they are reluctant, find someone else with a rig.

Another idea is after the rig is nice and level buy a few stickon levels and affix them to the rig's corners where you typically stand when checking how level you are. Don't be shy about them, but do make absolutely sure to attach them WHEN THE RIG IS ABSOLUTELY LEVEL. Because of the rig size and frame flex do not be surprised if you need at least two sets. I use only the one mounted to the pin and one stuck to the side by the landing gear switch but others I know put them at all corners. Then I use a bubble level inside just to make sure. I have been known to make more adjustments when things just don't feel right.

I hope this detailed description helps. I did not address the Level Up or any other automated system. You may also have other stabilizers, jacks, uneven ground at the landing gear, a remote control unit or other fanciness, but I tried to cover the minimum procedure for leveling.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Very nice explanation Art!

And you have an excellent point about just asking a fellow camper at the campground for advice - they are nine times out of ten more than willing to help out.

I remember a couple new to camping were pretty concerned when they couldn't get their heat to work one time we were at the coast - and believe me, you want heat usually at the Oregon Coast at night. I was able to determine it was just a bad fuse - they were very happy, and I felt good that I was able to help.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #15
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Seahunter has it. You must use boards under the wheels to level left to right. Then use the front legs to level fore and aft.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have an iPhone or an iPad get the RVco app from the iTunes store (probably an android app out there also). The free version is enough. When it opens go to "more" then pick leveler and lay the phone or pad on the floor just inside your door. The App will tell you how many inches to raise which side and how many inches to raise or lower the front. Pull the rig forward about a foot. Put the right number of boards under the side requested. Back the rig over them then chock your wheels and unhook. Now raise or lower the front as needed. Now put the rear stabilizers and front tripod jack (if you have one) down. Your done and still on the bed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

If you have an iPhone or an iPad get the RVco app from the iTunes store (probably an android app out there also). The free version is enough. When it opens go to "more" then pick leveler and lay the phone or pad on the floor just inside your door. The App will tell you how many inches to raise which side and how many inches to raise or lower the front. Pull the rig forward about a foot. Put the right number of boards under the side requested. Back the rig over them then chock your wheels and unhook. Now raise or lower the front as needed. Now put the rear stabilizers and front tripod jack (if you have one) down. Your done and still on the bed.
Dick,are you sure it's RVco app. I seached iTunes but can't find.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #18
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry, it was abbreviating it on my phone screen. The App is RV Companion.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
billc1949
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12196
Thanks Dick, this app works great.

Bill c
billc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote