Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
3400 access w/ slides in?

I know that the only major difference between the 3400 and the 3670 is the kitchen counter layout. My wife fell in love with the 3400, but Richfaa brought up a valid point with me as he and Helen also debated between these two models... the counter on the 3400 curves into the kitchen in the 3400 and does not in the 3670. They (Helen) felt the getting around the counter could become a nuisance. Good point.

I also throw this out to any 3400 owners... I know the extra counter space is nice, but do you find any problems with the kitchen counter layout? And I believe you can get to the fridge with the slide closed... but is there anything you can't get to?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What finally sent Helen over to the 3670 was working behind the counter in the 3400.She is not a very big girl @ 125 on a good day and she is in great physical shape,However she noted that lighting the oven in the 3400 was a hassel and reaching storage places behind the counter was a hassel, she was winding up on her knees trying to reach places were the 3670 although less counter space was wide open..and..said she..she is not getting any younger and when she gets all the way down she may not be able to get all the way up.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Annie loves the 3400 kitchen layout; finds everything very accessible and convenient; lots of cupboard space; likes the way the counter separates the kitchen from the dining and living room areas. The only concern she has expressed is that she finds the microwave to be awkwardly high and potentially dangerous when removing hot food ... but do not think this is unique to the 3400. She has decided that she needs to use her small step stool just to be safe. Other than that, she is extremely happy with the 3400 kitchen ... and when Momma is happy, everyone is happy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Forgot to mention that with the slides closed, the rear of the 3400 is inaccessible unless you are prepared to climb up on and over the kitchen counter.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
What is available in the Montana with the slides closed was important to us in our decision. The bathroom, the bed and the fridge can all be used without popping the slides on the 3400. If we have to access anything else, all the slides will go out in about 45 seconds. We love ours.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We just took a 12000 mile drive via Alaska to get to the Montana Rally. During the past four months, we had many opportunities to boondock and to stop for lunch in our 3380, which has the same L-shaped kitchen counter as the 3400. The main difference is that it(the counter) is turned so the opening is toward the rear of the trailer, toward the living room We have the adjustable slide mechanisms so we were able to open only the dining room slide. With it open only 12-18 inches we were able to get to our LR, refrig, and our dining room table. It made for a very comfortable lunch break. And we also have access to the BR. Keystone is making this model again. You may want to check out the floorplan for the 3380RL. It is also lighter as it has only three slides.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I hate to recommend modifying things to someone who's getting a brand new trailer, but after seeing at the Reno Rally what people have done to make their trailers more efficient and livable, here goes.

Take out the lazy susan and install shallow slide-out drawers in the island and next to the oven...a tremendous convenience.

As already noted, you can get at the important things with the slides closed, and the main slide can be opened slightly if you need to get to the back. Dale (MIMF) from Lippert suggested adding 1/4-turn ball valves to the hydraulic manifold to make turning the slides on and off alot easier (I haven't looked closely at what would be involved, but if he suggested it, it can't be too complex).

Lighting the oven is a pain, literally, but coming up with a fix is well down on my list (too many other good ideas picked up at the rally).

If you swap out the convection oven for a Panasonic Inverter microwave, you'll not only save several pounds of weight, you can lower the mivrowave by 1 1/2 inches and save on the electrical load for when you're boondocking.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We own the 3670 and truly love the layout. We can get to everything with the slides in. However, if I was to full time in the Montana I think that we would like to have one that did have more counter space. We got to look at a lot of different floor plans at the show and tell while at the rally, and it really is a difficult choice to make when trying to decide which model is best suited for long term use. Good luck with your choice.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve R mention somethin in a previous post that I think is important. Choose the unit for the things you like most when parked. That is how you will spend most of your time. When on the road unless you pull the living room slide out a little, you cannot reach the living room. For lunch breaks you can reach the frig and we have a basket in the shelf over the washer and dryer for paper goods, bread and chips. We eat on picnic tables at rest stops or sitting on our steps. Have had no problems doing that. You can pull out the kitchen drawers enough to just get your hand in but we keep plastic utensils in the lunch basket. In case of emergency, you can crawl across the island to get to the living room. We love our unit and are so happy we choose it. PS We moved our turntable and still use it and nothing falls.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Firetrucker, you mention that lighting the stove is troublesome. Are you referring to the 3400 of all Montana stoves?

Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:16 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I can't speak for firetrucker but I suspect he is talking about ALL the OVENS. The top of the stoves are lit easily with the knob provided, but it is hard to light the pilot light in the oven when you want to bake. It's helpful to have one of the long grill lighters for this task.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:35 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
IN regards to accessing everything while traveling:

If we can get to the toilet, the refer and the pantry, that is all we find we need. Reasons:

1.) We do tend to eat at truck stops or where ever for our lunch, which we try to make our main meal while we are running. So, we don't even eat in the unit most travel days.

2.) We do not feel we need to sit for lunch, if we stop on the side of the road and grab food from the unit. We just stand at the end of the kitchen counter and eat. It feels pretty good to stand after all that driving/sitting.

We do have our "Musts" on what can we get to while the slides are in, the toilet and the refer! We feel like Steve R, choose your unit for most useage, which is when you are set up, not hauling.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:39 AM   #13
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Judy can speak for me in this case. We haven't used the oven that much, but it may be because it's not convenient to light, especially in limited space. Sure would like an electronic igniter. Anybody know of an aftermarket add-on?

We do like the extra counter space in the 3400, though, and one of Sharon's key requirements, like just about everybody else, was access to the refig when slides are in. The washer closet is now a storage closet/pantry/coat closet that gives us access to immediate needs.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote