Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Rving....

Don't misunderstand, I like the rving lifestyle with its freedom to be where I want to be, to lose the geographical anchor, to explore places before unseen, live life in our beautiful Montana. But sometimes taking care of a rig is akin to being nibbled to death by a duck. But then I guess it was that way in the stick house too.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Butch&Carol
Established Member

M.O.C. #7795
I like that phrase ( Like being nibbled to death by a Duck ) Thats great!
Butch&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Stiles,

You are in the first year of ownership, we all know that can be exciting and stressful. Gettin the kinks out.

You are just getting Dianna up on her feet again after a really horrendous medical drama.

You are gonna have days like this. SIGHHHHHHH

I always tell Al it keeps him from being bored!

Right now, a new smoke detector/co2 detector we installed not long ago is chirping and will NOT shut up. Al is not here to climb up there and try to fix it. OH, well, I cannot hear it from the stick built.

Hang in there friend, this too shall pass.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
With our Montana it is more like an alligator!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
life gets better , trust me , it can't get any worse so it has to get better, hang in and shoot the duck
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #6
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Several people on this forum used to have boats. We can tell you that boat stands for "Bring Out Another Thousand" My house cost a lot but my boat cost more. My Montana costs less than both. We have to put it all into perspective.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CmdrDewey

Several people on this forum used to have boats. We can tell you that boat stands for "Bring Out Another Thousand" My house cost a lot but my boat cost more. My Montana costs less than both. We have to put it all into perspective.
These RVs are a lot like boats...if it hasn't broken yet, it's getting ready to.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
There is a old test to see if you are ready to buy a boat (might work for RV's)

1. In the dead of winter turn off all heat to your house for 24 hrs. and open the windows.
2. Take the drain cover off your shower drain.
3. Remove all your clothes.
4. Turn the cold water on in the shower.
5. Step into shower.
6. Take $100.00 bills and stuff them down the drain as fast as you can.
If all of this feels good....Then you are ready to buy a boat (or RV)
Kinda of shows ya how fast the money can go down the drain.
Happy boating and RVing.

Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have a Montana AND we have a boat. We have been VERY fortunate/blessed with both. Absolute minimum upkeep and MAXIMUM use of both.

With that said, my Dad and I co-owned an 19 ft I/O boat a few years back. I have never sunk so much money into ANY item - including my homes - in my life. A total money pit every spring that we pulled it out of storage and tried to throw it in the lake. I was towed in by the marine sheriff's dept boat 3 times in 2 yrs and that doesn't count the one time I was able to paddle back to shore...

And as far as Montana's... well reading Mobilrvn and Richfaa posts over the past two years has convinced me that I indeed should have NO complaints about my Monty.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

And as far as Montana's... well reading Mobilrvn and Richfaa posts over the past two years has convinced me that I indeed should have NO complaints about my Monty.
I agree. If I had their kind of luck, I'd take up shuffle board at the stick house, and not venture out in any type of moving vehicle.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:29 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We are also new Montana owners this year. (September) It seems that every week we are buying items (stuff) for Hanna. Aw! Heck! Isn't that what retirement money is for - having fun?

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are not the only ones who have had multiple problems with our Montana's. IMO it is more the norm than the exception Particularly if you use them as hard as , at least we do, Dave is parked 3 campers down from me with Mor Ryde rubber hanging off his suspension and he has maybe half the miles on his 3400 that we have on ours although he is a full timer and we are long timers.Some of us will admit that we have problems while others may be hesitant to say that they spent big bucks on a camper that has many problems, (just like any other brand) These campers, any brand, are high maint units not designed for the kind of use many of us submit them to. If I thought there was a better built camper in this price range I would dump this Montana in a heart beat. In fact I would never have purchased it. What happened to us could well happen to you....today...If it already hasn't.In the meantime we will modify, repair, update, maintain and enjoy our great adventure. Oh well got to call Lippert today about our leaky hydraulics and dometic about our fridge that is really a freezer. Oh...forgot..Vendor items, not Keystones fault..Keystone just put them in their campers..Flash.. nothing is Keystones responsibility... The entire camper is vendor supplied items.Keystone just assembled them into a camper..Shazam..could THAT be the problem????

Oh just to note that it is not only Montana...Our Directtv receiver failed on the way down as did our Verizon Aircard. Both are enroute Via FEDEX express from the vendors. Thanks Dave for letting us share your hi speed internet connection.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

... Thanks Dave for letting us share your hi speed internet connection.
You're welcome. It true that I do only have 7500 miles on Montana in a year and a half, but I think there are some who have had many more major problems before that mileage.

I still think I've been fortunate so far. The Mor/ryde falling apart is something that was a surprise and remains a mystery to date. I will not move the Montana until Mor/ryde fixes the problem, but I'm here until the end of April - or until diesel fuel hits rock bottom and we can then afford a trip to the Everglades or the Keys. So I have no concerns about that at this point...

I also have no misconceptions about any possible future catastrophic failures. As Rich says, pulling these things down the highways and byways of this great country is going to cause problems just by default. I will just take them in stride and continue to count my blessings.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote