Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Brakes failing

I've had two brake springs break on two different wheels ruining the drum and the shoes on both. One replaced under factory warranty the other under extended warranty. The one replaced under factory warranty by my local dealer the grease seal came loose contaminating the shoes with grease and the wheel bearing with brake dust. Fixed by my wallet and my back.
Pull the wheels and drums/hubs and check yours once a season or two.

kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
kmh3212, Right on! I figure once a season for my part timer use is likely too frequent....but I do it anyway as I like to go on vacation to escape stress and often wonder too much about when I did 'em last. What I do is;
Pull each wheel, remove dust cap, cotter pin and discard, castle nut, washer and outside cone into coffee can of gasoline. Pull drum, blow out brake dust with air gun, note any ware of shoes and drum surface. Lay drum down in driveway put 3/4" 1 1/4 socket on extension backwards and use it to tap out inner cone and seal. Plunk them into coffee can too, clean all grease out of drum, inspect cups for wear, inspect cones for wear. Pack new grease into inner cone using glob in palm technique, wiping into backside of cone till it oozes out rollers, drop into cup, reinstall seal if on inspection looks good. Wipe off all grease from axle, inspect for any obnormal wear, install drum, repeat packing to outside cone, install w/washer and castle nut. Snug up assembly, spinning drum, back of a tad and drop in cotter pin, install dust cap, tire and spin again and check for play by tugging on it. Repeat 4x....Good to go for season. Been doing this for 23 years of RVing...did it prior to that under the guidance of my dad.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kmh3212, I'm trying to figure out why the grease seal popped loose. Have you greased the hubs through the zerk in the center? Or did the dealer? Maybe the seal was not properly seated at the axle factory?

Also, any idea why the springs broke? Were they improperly installed at the factory?

You may not have answers to any of this but I'm curious why this happened. And what to check for to make sure not to have the problem. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 AM   #4
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
sreigle,
The grease seal was installed by a dealer who did the initial warranty claim for a broken spring that holds the brake shoes together. The seal was loose in the drum and had been rattling around the shaft that there was no " press fit" in drum. You could push the seal in and out of the area it is supposed to be pressed in the drum with your finger.
Brake spring. The Brake spring holds the shoes together and pulls them off the drum when the brakes are released. The first one I considered a fluke but two! There must be some bad chinese made springs out there.
I never used the grease zerk fitting in the hub so grease pressure didn't push the seal out.
I think I had an improper installation or poor machining tolerances from manufacturer of seal and or drum/hub.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
kmh and Chuck,

Thanks for the info. I am presently putting on all new linings. Your procedure sounds good but Alko on page 23 of the manual recommends the following for drum adjustment.

Basically while turning the drum tighten to 20ft/lbs, and the loosen.

With drum stationary(do not rotate)retighten to 7 ft/lbs(zero clearance)...Then back off one slot and align cotter pin(0.001 -010 endplay)

So I will probably repeat this.

----------------

The springs that broke are really something. Is there anyway to trace the source? I will be using all new Alko springs so if they brake I am going after them.

One problem I have found in trying to get OEM parts is that they will tell you what they use and push them even if they are a main distributor for ALKO. ALKO definately has a distribution problem. At least one I called does not even have a current Alko Cat even though they are readily available off the internet.

I ordered all the parts from one of Alko main distributors in Texas but they don't carry the ALKO seals. I am going to be very careful with these seals. They have a double seal with spring.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Tom, Yeah go with the instructions...I'm hoping my "feel" for tightness is properly calibrated. The intent is to compress the assembly over-coming the grease which 20ft-lbs must be your magic number.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Chuck
I have always done it by feel but I think I will do it by this method. I will try several times.

I used to be good at this years ago but I definately have lost the touch. So I guess I will have to be more cautious.

Parts are supposed to be here tomorrow by Fedx Ground.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote