Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #21
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I have a total of 5 locks on the hitch - one on each side through the puck latches and one each side of the B&W head unit plus one through the latch handle, As far as a pin lock, that occasionally gets a piece of 3/8 extra strength chain wrapped around it and a HD short shank Master pad lock.

Something I haven't done since owning a boat years back is to run a length of heavy strength chain through opposite side wheels and ends bolted with Nyloc nuts on Gr 8 boltswhich will work better then a flimsy padlock

Nothing is 100% but whatever slows a thief down might convince him that there are easier pickings elsewhere.

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #22
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
When I started trucking in 1990 an employer provided a new pin lock and I still have it and it is STILL new. Never have seen the need for one.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #23
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I have a total of 5 locks on the hitch - one on each side through the puck latches and one each side of the B&W head unit plus one through the latch handle, As far as a pin lock, that occasionally gets a piece of 3/8 extra strength chain wrapped around it and a HD short shank Master pad lock.

Something I haven't done since owning a boat years back is to run a length of heavy strength chain through opposite side wheels and ends bolted with Nyloc nuts on Gr 8 boltswhich will work better then a flimsy padlock

Nothing is 100% but whatever slows a thief down might convince him that there are easier pickings elsewhere.
I'm curious. What kind of locks do you use on each side of the head unit? My new B&W Companion has these flimsy pins on each side of the head unit that keep the big pins in place. That's the only place on the hitch that I feel is substandard. I do want to correct that but would like to know how you did it with locks. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #24
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
I'm curious. What kind of locks do you use on each side of the head unit? My new B&W Companion has these flimsy pins on each side of the head unit that keep the big pins in place. That's the only place on the hitch that I feel is substandard. I do want to correct that but would like to know how you did it with locks. Thanks.
I just drilled that pin hole out a little bigger then found some small locks at Home Depot. I also added a rolled pin (plus J-B Welded it in place) at the curved end.

Supposedly. one of the old style bicycle locks will work in place of that supplied pin but the shackle material is way too small diameter. While, as I said above, wont stop some determined thief, it might just cause him to go elsewhere.

Any farm supply should have longer lynch pins which should be good as well plus most have a 'starter' hole that can be enlarged a bit. They don't need to be particularly strong as they aren't what holds the head to the base, they are just safety devices which means even a bolt with a Nyloc nut will work as well. A thief may have a hammer or crow bar to defeat a lock, but probably wont have a couple 1/2 or 9/16 in. wrenches.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #25
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I just drilled that pin hole out a little bigger then found some small locks at Home Depot. I also added a rolled pin (plus J-B Welded it in place) at the curved end.

Supposedly. one of the old style bicycle locks will work in place of that supplied pin but the shackle material is way too small diameter. While, as I said above, wont stop some determined thief, it might just cause him to go elsewhere.

Any farm supply should have longer lynch pins which should be good as well plus most have a 'starter' hole that can be enlarged a bit. They don't need to be particularly strong as they aren't what holds the head to the base, they are just safety devices which means even a bolt with a Nyloc nut will work as well. A thief may have a hammer or crow bar to defeat a lock, but probably wont have a couple 1/2 or 9/16 in. wrenches.
Good ideas. I'm not so worried about someone stealing the hitch as I am someone reaching in an pulling out the flimsy retainer pins that hold the head on while overnighting at Walmart or stopping for a bite to eat. Easy to do. Like I said earlier, at a rest stop I discovered one side of the puck handles came loose while traveling. Now I lock them as well. Can't be too careful.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #26
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Pin Lock

I cut a piece of 3/8 tow chain/log chain to wrap around the pin and secure with a heavy padlock. I rarely use it though.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #27
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
I've had one for 15 plus years
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #28
Fireater99
Established Member

M.O.C. #12310
We had a lock on our travel trailer and they stole our camper and left all the campers in the lot that were left unlocked. Anytime we have the vehicle disconnected from our fifth wheel, we lock it up. If they really want it however, I think they will figure out a way to get it.
Fireater99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #29
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I use the hitch pin lock depending where we are and in our driveway.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #30
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have a Pullrite hitch and if someone tries to steal the rig with a regular hitch the capture plate will take the head off their hitch at the first turn.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #31
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You can buy lock pick kits on Amazon, Walmart.com, hardware stores, home improvement stores, and many many other places. And the web is full of how-to-pick-locks videos. If someone wants your stuff they will have no problem getting it. Locks do (help) keep honest people honest.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #32
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
I have a king pin lock always use it. Do not lock my pulrite handle but I used to. Someone pulled the black tank handle on my old rig when I was not looking. Next campsite sewer all over the site. Fortunately with the convenience center on the Montana that is more difficult to do.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If anyone wonts a lock that CANNOT BE PICKED either a pad lock or door lock that would be a Medico lock. They guard the White House and most other important government buildings. I you think you can pick one or know someone who can go to their plant just off I 81 at exit 137 Va and they will give you $10,000. No one has ever collected.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote