Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
Getting SHOCKED!!

We finally pulled our Montana out of storage. Our last trip was to Las Vegas and it was the same weekend as the tragic shooting. Anyway, when I was unloading the under storage, I received a severe SHOCK from the frame of the storage door, nearly knocked me on my can. Any hints on where to start trouble shooting?? PS: I did hook my house 110 to the trailer just to get the fridge cooled down and watch TV while loading and cleaning., not running anything else.

N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Bad green wire safety ground. Could be in your power cord, or 50/30/20 adapter I assume you are using. Could be your home outlet missing a ground. Start testing at the home outlet and proceed down the line until you find the break.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree bad ground wire. I had the same problem in my old home place. It’s a house but it’s the same problem.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Sounds like a grounding problem to me.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4 6.7L
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Unplug before you get seriously injured
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Same happened to me on our first camp out several years ago. Being an electronic engineer, I pulled out my test equipment and found a missing ground from the campground power. I found on this forum numerous suggestions/recommendations for a surge protector/ems system that would detect such issues and prevent such an electrifying experience. I purchased a portable surge guard with LED display. After purchasing our current unit, I installed a
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Electrical Management System - Hardwire 50A W Digital Remote Display. I mounted the digital display in the switch panel.
As an example, my brother had his motor home in a repair facility for a mechanical issue. They told him he could stay for the night and plug into their 30 amp receptacle. He didn't have any sort of surge protection and it turned out the receptacle was a 240 VAC used for welding. It took out almost every electrical appliance in his rig. Something else you can avoid.
Best Regards.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
I had something like that happen also. Found that I had a BAD dogbone adapter.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
THANK YOU! I should have taken science classes instead of Business classes. I discovered that the extension cord I was using had a BROKEN GROUND POLE on it. I changed the extension cord and no more getting SHOCKED out of my "Fruit of the Looms!" And YES, that extension cord is now headed to the land fill!!! Too back the recycler,s wont take it. But my next question. When we were in Las Vegas, the entire right side of our Montana was dead, electrically. We had a repair guy come out and say our inverter was wired incorrectly, was a cheap unit and was bad. So SHOULD WE GET A NEW INVERTER? And if so, what brand do you guys/gals recommend? We have the 2013 3750FL. We never dry camp but do occasionally stop at a rest stop to fix meals and rest up, using the microwave, tv and sometimes the AC. Is an inverter a valuable asset?
Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
There are several good inverters out there, Magnum Research and GoPower are both decent units. If you do not dry camp you need to determine if it is worth the investment for just a few stops at rest stops.

When the right side was dead in Las Vegas were you connected to shore power or were you in a rest stop? If you were connected to shore power it sound like you may have a different issue than a bad inverter. The inverter really doesn't come into play when you are connected to shore power.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I assume your inverter is just for the residential refrigerator? Don't see how an inverter would take out 1/2 the 5'er power. He might be right in that it is cheap. Sounds to me more likely a leg of power is/was missing. Could be missing from the source where you plug in to park power or anywhere down stream. Example, your dog bone if using 30amp, an open in your 50 amp cord, or a problem in your 5'er wiring or breaker panel. Sometimes these repair guys make things sound worse than they really are just to justify their charge.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
But if we ever do Dry Camp, is the inverter a valuable asset? We have a solar panel to charge the batteries, so that is a plus. Just wondering if having the inverter inspected might be a wise thing, along with the wiring.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
An inverter is worthwhile if you dry camp. Are all your plugs working now after the repair guy worked it or does it still need repair? Assuming the installed inverter is for residential refrigerator, is it working when not connected to shore power? These questions will help determine if more service is required.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #13
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I am not advocating operating without a ground but. On a 120 V extension cord you should not have been shocked even without a ground unless you have an additional problem that needs to be addressed.

I would have someone look at the receptacle you were plugged into to make sure the neutral and line are not reversed.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2BchMtnMrsh View Post
<snip>... When we were in Las Vegas, the entire right side of our Montana was dead, electrically. We had a repair guy come out and say our inverter was wired incorrectly, was a cheap unit and was bad. So SHOULD WE GET A NEW INVERTER? And if so, what brand do you guys/gals recommend? We have the 2013 3750FL....
</snip>
OK color me confused! The only Montana which comes with an inverter is the "nnn1" models with the residential refrigerator. And even it only powers the refer and nothing else.

Your 3750 will not have an inverter unless you added one. If you did add one, is it setup to power all the 120V circuits on the RV? I doubt it as the microwave, AC and hot water heater do not get along with an inverter and the back end battery bank.

You say the right side was dead electrically. Assuming you mean the door side, what plugs were inop?

Most likely the 50 amp plug or your 50 amp cord had a dead leg. There are two legs to a 50 amp supply. One side of the CB panel is fed by one leg and the other side is fed by the other leg. While a dead leg will take out 1/2 of the circuits, the Old World's Craftsmen are unlikely to have wired it so that all right and left side circuits are separated in the panel.

I think we need more specifics of the problem. Also is it resolved?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #15
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
Yes, the inverter was an add on. Which is why the highly recommended RV repairman said it was installed in a way he has never seen and why it failed. We have an RV repairman coming soon and we will have him look at the whole inverter situation. The dealer did several add ones that we discovered were done poorly. I no longer trust RV dealers!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
A quick update. My inverter was 'broken' and I am getting it replaced. I also discovered that the "black tank sprinkler system" had a bad connection between the tank and pipe. Thank you for all the tips, these Montana's are complicated 'moving houses' that need maintenance. This repair service is also going to reseal all my roof openings, for only $400. If anyone needs a good referral for the Orange County area of CA, let me know.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #17
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Thanks for the update - it really helps when folks follow up after asking questions.