Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Pump won't draw up antifreeze??

I'm trying to winterize my new Montana and I cant get the pink antifreeze into the system. I've gone through the entire checklist and can't figure out what the problem is. The water heater is bypassed, the system has been drained and blown out. I hooked the short hose to the top inlet (Winterize), turned the switch to the Winterize on position, put the hose in the antifreeze bottle, turn the water pump on and it runs but doesn't draw in the antifreeze. I was using the water pump just prior to doing all this and it worked fine. Could it be that because I drained the tank and blew out the system first the pump lost its prime? I tried holding the antifreeze bottle higher than the connection but it didn't help. I'm stumped!!! Any ideas???

Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Make sure the connection of the hose to the inlet in the convenience center is tight. If it's sucking even a little bit of air it won't work.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is a link to another topic on winterizing. That topic has a link to a video from Keystone and yet another topic on the same subject. Hopefully this will help.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41611

I would like to help but I have never winterized. We use out Montana all year long.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Did you open a faucet?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I did check the hose connection and it was not leaking air that I could tell. I also tried with faucets both open and closed. I even tried moving the winterize switch back and forth between on and off while the pump was running. Since the tank is totally empty nothing happened either way. I thought about putting the antifreeze into the water tank but that is a problem also since there is only a connection for a pressurized hose. No way to just dump it in with a funnel.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
If your fresh water inlet switch is in the fill water tank position the pump wont draw properly, or at all.
I found this out this summer when I sanitized the fresh water tank and system and forgot to turn the switch back to its normal position.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I pour some antifreeze down the hose and hold it higher then the inlet to prime the pump. This has worked for me when we winterize if we get a lot of snow. If we don't get snow I just use ceramic heater and go camping once a month.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Same as Walt mentioned. I could not get the antifreeze to flow. The connection seemed tight. I tried different faucets and the low point drains, nothing. I just happened to reach over and pushed on the hose connection and it started sucking antifreeze. Turned it loose and it stopped. I tightened it again as much as I possibly could and it worked fine then. Apparently it was sucking enough air that it could not get the fluid started.
My connection has a very thick rubber washer that does not leave many threads for the hose. I am going to see if I can find a thinner rubber washer before I winterize this year.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
WOW! It's fixed. After reading BB TX's comments I removed the hose and took out the rubber washer with the screen on it. Underneath it there was a tiny piece of debris that looked like a plastic shaving. I removed it, reattached the hose and don't you know, it works fine. I feel really stupid. The very first response from WaltandLynne said to check the connection was tight and not sucking air. I had done that prior and thought it was OK. Should have checked it again. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don't feel stupid about that. Most of us have done things far worse than that.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Truer words were never spoken! Glad you got it winterized and educated some of us to boot!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Don't feel stupid about that. Most of us have done things far worse than that.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote