Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Tulsa Blizzard-Slide Out IN or OUT

We were in Tulsa, OK for their first official blizzard. And I guess our first also with the Montana. We did ok but when it was over, I had about 2-3 inches of ice with a few inches of snow on top of the slideouts. Now--I did not stay in the Montana because the roads were so bad we would have missed Christmas with our relatives--so we camped in a relatives warm home. I left the temp at 60 and nothing froze- (I disconnected external water). Should I have put the slide outs IN to prevent the ice and snow build up on the tops? I notice when our slide outs are IN, the heating vents are about 90% covered in the main area but open in the bedroom. I left them OUT to allow more even distribution of the heat. So before leaving, I cleared the slideouts when the weather improved to the mid 30's.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tim, What in the world are you doing in that temp???? Cool here but not freezing yet...... Safe trip home.....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
With our 3400, I pull the slides in because there's a lot of stress on the toppers, and they're difficult to clear safely, when there's a lot of snow and ice on them. I cover the rear heat vent, and lift the rug off the vent that's at the living room end of the island; the other vents are clear.
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
When we lived in our rig fulltime, we would get ice buildup on the slides. Just so you know, if you do pull your slides in when there is ice on the roof, it will sound like all of your windows are shattering. They aren't, it will just sound terrible.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Tim and Susan,
I have thought about the same things. If I was not staying in the MONTY I would now bring the slides in and use some support material to raise the rugs that are covering the vents.
I would bring the slides in to keep the snow and ice off the slides or slide toppers.
That is my current opinion from my experience this year.
Happy New Year.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Thanks for the info. Phil--I made it home on Friday! But we saw snow as far south as Stephenville, TX, along the side of the road.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As some others have stated, I'd bring the slides in. That way there is less area to heat and no ice/snow to clean off the tops of the slides.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
We got stranded in Gallop NM because of snow one SPRING, this was our first snow in the Monty, Of course since we were living in the rig at that time we had the slides out. We stayed until the sun came out then pushed snow and ice off the roof before bringing them in. A neighbor tried to bring his in without cleaning and they went sideways(had to call a service truck) on him. If we are not livin in the Monty we leave them in and haven't had a problem with freezing.
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote