Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #21
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have always stabilized the unit first and ensure it is level and this includes the rear stabilizers. Once that is done the slides come out, bedroom, kitchen, entertainment, and then the living slides. Have not had any problems with this procedure. When we are ready to move the procedure is: Bedroom comes in first, kitchen next, entertainment next and living last. Then rear stabilizer is retracted and fronts are adjusted for hook up.

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #22
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We always have the stabilizers extended prior to putting the slides out. Here is what the Keystone Owner's Manual that came with our 2010 says on page 54:

Basic Slide-Out Tips
Before operating any slide-out:
1. The unit must have a fully charged RV battery (having the shore-line cord plugged in may NOT be enough).
2. Turn off all necessary lights and 12V components prior to extending/retracting.
3. The unit must be leveled and stabilizer jacks extended.
4. Make sure the room has clearance, inside and outside, to extend/retract.
5. Make sure water and debris are removed from the top of the room before retracting.
6. Avoid injury by keeping all body parts out of the way of the slide-room.
7. Make sure other parties are clear of the slide-out before extending/retracting.
8. DO NOT ride in the slide-out when extending/retracting.
9. DO NOT step on the floor of the slide out when the room is retracted. The slide out floor is not supported by the main floor and stepping on the floor may cause structural damage to the slide room.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #23
rosstok
Established Member

M.O.C. #9664
Just to add a couple of details to the leveling discussion...We have found that leveling can be very easy if you use a couple of stick on indexed levels (avail at most RV stores). When you pull into your site, the first thing you do is to level side to side by noting the number on the side to side level and adding that number of orange blocks under the appropriate wheels. Once you pull on to the blocks, go through your disconnect routine, then level forward and back with the landing gear. Note that one side may need to be set longer than the other if you are on an uneven site. Similarly, we put blocks under the low side stablizer to adjust for site slope if necessary. Never use the landing gear or stablizers to try to get side to side level right. It is amazing how long it took us to figure this simple routine out when we owned a tent trailer.
rosstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #24
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What a swell idea... Read the manual for the best setup procedure. I guess it will state to bring the stabilizers down first. I'll have to check that. When all else fails, check the manual. It's late and it's cold, so I'll check tomorrow.

Here's how my slides work (seems kinda screwy now that I read the many recent posts).

I have four slides. Three are on the driver's side - a.) the front master bedroom is the smallest, then b.) the dining/fridge is in the middle and is also the largest, then finally c.) there's the entertainment/desk/fireplace is the farthest back. There is also one on the passenger side - d.) the sofabed in the living room. a. always extends or retracts first. Then either c. or d. or d. or c. goes out or in next. On some occasions b. will start to extend first followed by or concurrently c. or d. will go out afterwards or at the same time. Maybe that's my problem. Why would they not follow the same order?

I typically do not have the stabilizers down all the way, but I'll check the manual now.

Nevertheless, for the original post, DO NOT use the stabilizers for bearing weight.

For the vac, I like the idea of putting the hose down the laundry chute to vacuum the basement. At home I just drag out the shop vac. But at the CG, so much stuff gets emptied out from the basement, I should just do it then.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #25
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm glad I'm in compliance with the manual, but that's not the reason I stabilize first. The real reason is rather un-scientific: the bedroom slide (first one to go out) and my head are not compatible! It only took one 'ouch' to figure that out, and I'm a quick learner.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #26
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
Thanks much to all who responded. I had no clue my question would inspire such debate! :-)

-Bob
kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Jackel1959..The manual..The manual,,,,you looked at the manual ... The manual is not a legal document..It is just a suggestion
we don't need no stinking manual... If you look at that manual you will learn things..who needs that.. It is better to do whatever we want and when things go wrong blame the manufacturer..

I thought about it.... We do that last after we are level side to side and front to back. Usually the slides are already out by that time so Helen can see what moved around inside.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:16 AM   #28
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I'm glad I'm in compliance with the manual, but that's not the reason I stabilize first. The is rather un-scientific: the bedroom slide (first one to go out) and my head are not compatible! It only took one 'ouch' to figure that out, and I'm a quick learner.
Tom, that's the real reason we do it that way too. Shhhhh! Let 'em grovel.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 AM   #29
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Jackel1959..The manual..The manual,,,,you looked at the manual ... The manual is not a legal document..It is just a suggestion
we don't need no stinking manual... If you look at that manual you will learn things..who needs that.. It is better to do whatever we want and when things go wrong blame the manufacturer..

I thought about it.... We do that last after we are level side to side and front to back. Usually the slides are already out by that time so Helen can see what moved around inside.
Rich,
I started reading these things after the "U-Bolt" thread. Before that, I usually only referred to them when something went wrong Besides, I have to something to read while sitting in the "library"
Our slides have minds of their own...the only thing I can count on consistently is the bedroom will go out and come in first and the big slide will go out and come in last. For the other two its a coin toss.
Jack
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #30
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Bob of Kipandbob.... this is NOT a debate which can be argumentative, emotional and hostile - none of which this Forum should condone. (When this happens an administrator will lock the topic or make it hard to find.)

This is an "educational discussion" based on experience, word of mouth passed on and on and mostly educational to remind us to Read our Manuals... but some of this may include strong opinion. How does one know it's opinion? There is a member name, member number, avatar and the member description does NOT say "administrator". Good gracious, my description currently calls me an MOC Fanatic. Hmmm, just like Robbie. Is that a good thing?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #31
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Bob of Kipandbob.... this is NOT a debate which can be argumentative, emotional and hostile - none of which this Forum should condone. (When this happens an administrator will lock the topic or make it hard to find.)

This is an "educational discussion" based on experience, word of mouth passed on and on and mostly educational to remind us to Read our Manuals... but some of this may include strong opinion. How does one know it's opinion? There is a member name, member number, avatar and the member description does NOT say "administrator". Good gracious, my description currently calls me an MOC Fanatic. Hmmm, just like Robbie. Is that a good thing?

Art, Fanatics are GOOD! Administrators are unfortunately needed to control some of the opinions, and that is a good thing too. IMHO

kipandbob, hope your "couple of things" were answered with enough discussion to where you can make your own opinion.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #32
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Good gracious, my description currently calls me an MOC Fanatic. Hmmm, just like Robbie. Is that a good thing?
I don't know, "Fanatic" brings to mind religious zealots, but who am I to say? After all, I'm an "Addict".
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Jack.. My kitchen and opposing slide on my 3400 open in no particular order and I don't care as long as they all come out. We never read the manual on the U bolts checks.. never checked them... and they failed.. Is there a lesson learned there.???????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote