Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
plastic runner on slideout

We are just preparing for a trip to Julian, CA and I noticed the plastic runner under the large slideout which supports the wiring, drain hose had broken off where it was attached to the slideout side wall.

I did a bit of a creative fix with the help of a drill and some wire ties. I couldn't help but notice how brittle the plastic had become. Anyone with similar problems?

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Lots of us have had that problem (me included). Since my rig was under warranty they were replaced (but will probably happen again). What seems to be the best long term fix is to install hinges for each plastic runner (support) to allow it to pivot as the slide is extended and retracted.

Trying doing a search in the forum to find solutions describing this. Hopefully others will be along to direct you as well.

As you drive by Murrieta/Temecula, wave or honk your horn as you go by! Don't forget to try the pie store in Julian!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Hinges seem like a good possibility. I noticed one of the brackets holding the wiring also to be brittle. As for the pie at Julian, you didn't mean just one did you?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Very common problem. I used a piece of a rubber mud flap to fix ours.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I used old door hinges than painted them (did all exposed slides) black to match.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I read a while back that there was one MOCer that had his Montana for two years and had never had one of his slide cable supports break or crack. We were all amazed... Failure rate is probably 90% within the first year if I had to take a guess at this.

Two or three Rallies ago we took Keystone over to one of our units to show them the breaking. The Keystone rep was astonished and said he had never heard of this. We then took him down the line of Montanas and showed him that every one of them had at least one support that either was cracked, broken completely off, or had already been modified with a door hinge or plastic ties.

As I said, this was 2-3 yrs ago that Keystone was made aware of this problem. Apparently they have not yet been able to come up with a better (cost effective) design that will hold up to 40-50+ slide movements of in and out flexing...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Someone on one of the discussions of this subject previously from the eastern part of the US had used "old baler belts" for his repair. They are quite flexible and heavy enough to take the use like we need. I carried one to the Fall Rally with me but "forgot" to get it out to show the MOCr's there. I carry one in the Monte all the time now just to have something incase mine do break. I will have to trim it, since it is about 1 1/2 times the width of the regular equipment. It is quite heavy in weight and long but I could probably make about 8-10 repairs with just one belt.I'll see if I can get a picture of it and put it on a thread-- if I can figure out how to do it that is!! Come to think of it-- I'll bet that is why I was "overweight" on the rig when I weighed in at the Fall Rally!!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I read a while back that there was one MOCer that had his Montana for two years and had never had one of his slide cable supports break or crack. We were all amazed... Failure rate is probably 90% within the first year if I had to take a guess at this.
Shhh, Dave! I hope you didn't just jinx me! We've had our current Montana three years as of Aug 29th and have not yet broken one of those supports. And you know ours gets year-round use. I do have hinges and bolts in the basement, ready for use. Just in case, of course.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Wow, Steve! Keep her goin'... Two of my three broke in the first 6 nmonths.

The good news is that if it does go out on you, it is not like pressing your luck with Mission tires that, when they go, you end up losing an entire side of your Montana... The damage done by a broken plastic support is not bad or non-existent and the fix is easy and inexpensive.

In fact, because these supports are not a safety issue, This is probably why it has really not been addressed - yet. Low on the priority list...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That may have been me..We went over two years before we noted one starting to crack and did the "hinge trick" as a preventative measure. None of the others show signs of cracking or breaking. We did get a new cable tray at the service center and that will be a Florida project. Actually they did do a "fix" on the tray's.There is a support bracket now on the slide side of the tray.Don't know if that did any good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:50 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
90%?

3+ years here, no cracks or breaks and not brittle. Have the stainless steel brackets to install just in case of failure.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

90%?

3+ years here, no cracks or breaks and not brittle. Have the stainless steel brackets to install just in case of failure.
I agree - 90% is too high. More like 89.999%
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 AM   #13
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Pulled in a RV Park in Garfield, Arkansas in the rain yesterday. The support was 99% broken under the
desk , entertainment center slide. Looking forward to trying to fix it today in the pouring rain.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:04 AM   #14
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Wow, I guess I was lucky to get three years out of them?

My temp fix (drilling hole and wire tie) worked for the trip. I will get some gate hinges and black paint to finish the job. I guess my question to Keystone is, considering the failure rate, wouldn't it make sense to..........never mind.

Safe traveling!