Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

Wow, received my Montana Graphic last month after 1 e-mail to Kristin. Removed the decal by simply pulling it off starting at the edges which I lifted up with my fingernail, it was about 94 out and in direct sun. Took about 20 minutes to get it off. Used naptha to remove the glue and then goo-gone for the residue, that took about 45 minutes and a bunch of paper towel (1 roll for the whole job). Standing back looking at it I am not to sure I even want the Montana back on there, it looks good without it. A survey through the RV park here had a 95 percent NO on replacing the Montana word. Have to take some more time and think about it.

I couldn’t agree with you more! If they want the Montana on there for free advertisement then I would think Montana should supply the graphics for it. I have no intention of paying for the Montana myself and then giving them free advertising. Of course if I get it as part of a package deal with all of the graphics, I may consider it.

On Edit: I wouldn't mind having "Kentucky" on there!

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
This is why I need to replace the graphics. I do hope Burlington comes through for us!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a little different take on this "free advertising" scheme.

License plate holders and front license plates that advertise car dealerships bother me for some reason, but not the small sticker on the rear trunk - if its SMALL. I had a black Park Ave a while back that the dealership forgot to put the back dealership sticker on. I loved it. I mentioned it and he said he could put it on if I brought it back in. I told him no, I was fine.

I currently have a dealership sticker on the back of my car and it is not from my home town. I would have it removed if it weren't for the fact that my cousin and close friend wasn't the used car manager of the large car dealership I bought it from.

(I just remembered that I had made a dealer take a license plate holder off a car several years ago before I even signed the papers).

I don't mind "Montana" as I look at it as is a brand name like GMC/Chevrolet/Ford/Dodge. Now if I had the dealership name plastered all over my fifth wheel, I would definitely want some residual for that... or it would come off ... immediately.

I do have a dealership sticker on the back of my Montana - doesn't everyone else??? And I will keep it there. The owner of that dealership did me a great favor and I owe him - a little anyway...

I guess it's strictly a business/marketing thing with me. If someone asks me to do them a favor, I most likely would comply. However, when someone just assumes I will advertise them for free, without so much as a "Thank you", I don't like that feeling...

Changing gears a little...
I would ask if the Goo Gone by itself is not enough? I planned on that (actually, I've already bought it and I have the Montana decal), but if I need to invest in some naptha, I guess I would if necessary...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #24
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
On the Montana Decal on front, it is NOT a name protest, in my opinion it simply looks better without it, I will leave the ones on the side and back. On the goo gone, I started out with that and after way to long gave up and went with the naptha then use the goo gone for cleanup, try it, you will be happy you did, work wise. On, on dealer decals, they come off, I do not owe a dealer a darn thing, they are paid handsomely for my business. Unless they give me at least $300 to advertise their business it has to come off or it's a deal breaker, enough on that one.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the heads up on the naptha, Jim. I will pick some up. From an auto parts store?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #26
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Don’t take me wrong; I don’t mind having the name Montana on there at all. I just have a small problem in general paying to advertise for someone else. For the most part, I guess it would mainly depend on the looks, if it looked better with it, I might buy it if not I would leave it off. I did remove the dealer sticker and now I found another one to remove. Also as mentioned if it looks better without it, I would leave it off.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #27
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,
If you take all the graphics off and polish the rig up real nice, then it would match your Chihuahua???? Hee Hee!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #28
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
My decals are in pretty good shape, but if I had to replace them, I would think about replacing the Montana words. I agree it is more a brand name like Ford or GMC, but some of them are more prominent than I like.

As for dealer advertisements on my vehicles, it isn't going to happen. If they were willing to pay (and not just once), I might consider it. But as it is, I won't buy a vehicle with a dealer advertisement on it. I even have them remove their license plate frames. Fortunately, here is CA where I live, dealers don't put their "mark" on vehicles. Even the Montana is devoid of a dealer decal.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I don't like the idea of advertising for someone else either. I don't even buy t-shirts with advertising on them. My decals are still in great shape also. If and when they do need replacing, I think I would go with a paint job. I'm not sure that a 3 inch by 3 inch dealer sticker on the back of my Montana would be a deal breaker when I'm getting a good deal to begin with. I do dislike the metal name tags that some dealers put on cars/trucks and had one removed in the past. License plates can always be replaced. Does anyone know when Burlington Graphics started supplying decals to Keystone. I remember at last years Fall Rally, the Burlington guys said something about using a different adhesive to help solve the problem. Seems like they are still experimenting. Seems like replacing decals from the same company that supplied the originals is like throwing good money after bad!!!! My sister has a 10 year old SOB 5th wheel and their decals are not peeling. Just MHO!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #30
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
After reading thru this, I can't help it . I have to ask, what is going to change by taking off your old graphics, and replacing them with the same bad graphics from the same manufacturer. My Montana graphic on the front cap lasted 18 months on a 2008 3400 RL. I talked to Keystone they sent me new ones for the front cap. I removed the old Montana graphic didn't look to bad,and that is the way it sits. I cannot help thinking nothing is going to change another 18 months and here we go again replacing graphics. Maybe some have a different opinion of what is going to happen with new graphics, but for me I can not imagine anything is going to change. Now if they come up with a better graphic material I will bite. I do have to say a good friend of mine has a 99 Montana, and the graphics are in excellent condition a little fading, but no peeling or shrinkage . Maybe they can go back to whoever made them, the new ones are pretty bad.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #31
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
In my case, the originals lasted 5 years. If I can keep it looking good for a few more years, then I will either trade it or sell it. Otherwise, I agree, it is not going to cure the problem, just buy some time.

Burlington only cut and print the graphics, the base material is made by either or both of 3M and Dennison/Avery. Both of these are well respected companies and their products are probably as good as it gets. I have an experienced auto graphics tech doing the installation part of mine, and when I asked him about the failure, his comment was that it was just the way it was, does not matter much what brand you use, they are going to fail over time.

One thing he did point out was that it is the printed graphics that fail (multi colours on a white base stock), some of the graphics are solid colour all the way through, for some reason these solid colour portions of my graphics look as good as new, in fact I am not even going to remove them.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:01 AM   #32
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto John on the possibility of trading and I have no doubt the lack of the MONTANA name on the front would affect trade-in value. If they last a couple of years, the price is worth it to me. The only cost I will have is my labor, Kristin (Burlington Graphics) replaced the letters for no cost. I can't complain, and besides, when I consider this project in comparison to my last project, this has to be a lot simpler and definitely will have less physical activity involved????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #33
The Dukes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7451
Our 2005 2955RL has the front cap and the left side graphics badly peeling and chipping back. I have been in contact with Nikki at Burlington Graphics by phone and email, As with others of you, she wanted pictures and date of manufacture which I provided. The bad news is that the graphics are only guaranteed 4 years from date of manufacture (12/04). The worse news is that replacement graphics area total of $278 plus shipping...not near as happy ending as some of you have had. First mistake, we religously wax the trailer twice yearly. Per Burlington, DO NOT wax or get any substance containing silicone on the graphics, if you do clean it off the graphic immediately with naptha, etc. Silicone supposedly causes the vinyl base of the graphics to dry out, chip and peel. I don't recall anything in the info that came with the trailer that addressed this subject. I guess that is what we get for trying to take care of our trailer.
The Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nothing wrong with our graphics on the 06 Montana in terms of peeling or shrinking. Don't know why some peel and shrink amd others don't. We have never waxed ours and it has been exposed to all kinds of weather. The gaphics are beat up due to branches, stone hits and the nose graphics have taken a beating from bugs. If I was not so lazy I would remove the nose graphics and leave it that way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #35
DANIE_MIKE

M.O.C. #9306
I am a new Montana owner and am newly retired. We purchased a 2008 3400RL and so far love it. We intend to become full time part timers, a lot of 3-5 week trips.

I am also noticing the decal on the nose peeling and shreding. I have not spoken to the dealer, waiting to catch all the small issues in one visit to the dealer. Other than a few, knock on wood they have been minimal. I did buy the extended warranty since the unit was an 08.

My question is are some of you putting these on yourselves, and the new ones are being provided under warranty. Seems like a lot of work, to remove and replace something that really is a warranty issue. I can understand like a lot of things the product is defective and replaced but not the labor to actually replace. What is Keystones position on the decals when under full warranty.

Love the forum, already been more informative than I would have ever imagined. Hope to share a few ideas I already have, on some mods.

I am also one of those towing the 3400RL with a 2008HD Duramx/ 6 speed Allison. Just came up the Grape Vine in S Ca. on a 100 degree day and "Clyde" as the truck is called pulled it like it was not even there both up and down the hill.

Mike
DANIE_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DANIE_MIKE

My question is are some of you putting these on yourselves, and the new ones are being provided under warranty. Seems like a lot of work, to remove and replace something that really is a warranty issue. I can understand like a lot of things the product is defective and replaced but not the labor to actually replace. What is Keystones position on the decals when under full warranty.
Mike, I believe most of us with decal issues are out of the one year Montana warranty. If under warranty, Keystone will do the labor. Otherwise, they are supplying some of us who are not too far out of warranty (me @ 2 yrs) with free decals, but the labor is up to us.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #37
The Dukes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7451
My understanding of this peoblem beyond Keystone's 1 yr. warranty is that Burlington Graphics will warrantee their product only for 4 years from the date they were put on the trailer (date of manufacture). Burlington is warranting only their product as they have no control over how it was put on the trailer. If their product fails beyond 4 years you can purchase replacements or forget it. My replacements should arrive today.
The Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #38
DANIE_MIKE

M.O.C. #9306
Thanks for the info and replies, will get with the dealer I purcchased the unit from and see where it goes.

Thanks,

Mike
DANIE_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #39
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Nicky from Burlington graphics responded quickly to my phonecalls and emails. Once I sent her picures of the graphics on my 2005 Monty, she immediately packaged and sent out my graphics at no cost to me which really surprised me. Great customer service.
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote