Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Peeling Graphics Again - will it be happy outcome?

As reported in an earlier post, our Montana lettering on the front cap is peeling badly. But thanks to Kristen at Burlington Graphics, replacements are on the way. Hopefully, they arrive by this weekend, since I have set the time aside for the decal removal and application project. I did spend last weekend doing my annual (that is once and only once a year) cleaning of the outside of the rig, sans roof, and shampooed all of the interior carpets. After DW happened to go inside a brand spanking new 3400 at the Mid-Atlantic rally (thanks Connie!!), I had to do somthing to spruce up the 2007 and divert her mind from the thought of a trade!!!! I will document the lettering removal and application process in a slideshow, because I have a hunch a lot of people will be tackling this procedure. Seems like every time I read of problems with other rigs, it becomes contagious. Hopefully and prayerfully, the suspension is not subject to the early stages of the shackle virus that Richfaa has injected into the forum!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Bingo, we will be on the road, but mentally I will be there helping you if needed.
Actually I will probably be thinking of me sitting on your new dock watching you do the graphics.

Good Luck

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Ray, your inspiration proves to validate the fact that good help is hard to find!! Remember, this stuff is contagious, better get inoculated. LOL!!
Bingo
Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We are slightly ahead of you in that we already have our new graphics, and we have almost finished removing the old ones. The removal went quite well. The best advice I can offer is work in warm temperatures on a sunny day. If the surface is just slightly warm to the touch, they seem to peel off without any other source of heat. I just used a razor blade scraper to get started, then pull back gently. They will break sometimes and you just have to start again. Be cautious if you are on a ladder, if you are pulling and vinyl suddenly breaks (which it does) you could lose your balance. I did the front cap by working from the truck bed with a step stool. Have a garbage bag in a pail to collect the removed pieces, they could make an awful mess if they get scattered around. (Don't leave your car parked down wind of where you are working, little bits will stuck to it - been there, done that!). If the temperature is right, most of the adhesive will come off with the graphic, but what gets left behind needs to be removed, as well as the dirty edges from around the graphic. I have tried both acetone and lacuer thinner, both seemed to work. Time wise, it took us about a day for each side and one for the two end caps to remove and clean, you might be able to do better than that if you work harder, but that should give you a rough idea of how long it takes. Patience is a useful virtue in this case!

Keep us posted on your progress, you may get ahead of us before we are finished!

On edit:
You may find it helpful to cut some the large surface area graphics into strips using a sharp blade. It is easier to pull off several narrow strips, than one large area.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Bingo, I know those new rigs can be tempting. Can't wait to see Don and Connie's at the Fall Rally.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Yes, ours are peeling on the front cap. For warm weather--how does 48 days this summer with temps over 100 degrees stack up??? I am hoping the heat will just peel the things off and then I can replace them when it cools off to 99! I will watching for the slides. Keep up the good work!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bingo mine are begining to peel badly around the edge. when I wash it some of the curls come off and it looks better for a short time. I know about burlington graphics do I call them and ask for kristen. mine is an 06 I dont know if they will help or not but it is worth a try. I just need the front cap graphics and I have someone to install them. do you have the number still. thanks bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bobby,
Actually I did it all via e-mail. Kristen wanted photos and the manufacturing date of the rig (on tag under bedroom slide on ours). Her e-mail is:
kristin.kapellusch@burlingtongraphics.com
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks bingo I will get some pics and get them to her and see if she can help. thanks again bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The graphics on our 06 3400 are in surprisingly good shape. No peeling and just some minor shrinkage. Some do show road damage and we will need some bits and pieces. We will E mail kristin and maybe we can have them by the Fall rall. Will be watching your removal procedure with interest. We have learned a Lot from the "shackle incident" We will have a chat with Aram about that at the Fall rally. Our "Fix" for the Shackle virus is the Mor Ryde IS suspension system will will be installed before the rally. That was a costly Virus.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I’m glad that you guys are having better response than what I have. I contacted them initially over a year ago, re-contacted them in May and I’m still waiting to hear back from them. All I want is a price quote. Apparently where our rig is older, it’s a more difficult problem for them.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bill n Donna,
We have the very same rig as you and had no trouble getting the decals. They did have to make most of them since our rig is so old but got them in relatively short time.

Sorry you're having such a hard time. But they should have the molds or whatever it is that they use to make them since we have identical rigs!

Keep trying.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Just received an e-mail from Kristin along with the UPS tracking number for the shipment. The replacement Montana wording for the cap should be in hand tomorrow so the weekend project looks like a go!! I can only give Kudos to Kristin for a great response and hope others are as fortunate. Sorry to hear that Bill, have you e-mailed Kristin or did you contact someone else??
Bingo

Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bingo, Kristen sent mine too - a year ago. Still waiting for the right time to take the old crumbling one off and put the new one on (read: when I can talk one of my SILs or nephews into coming over and doing it).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Just received an e-mail from Kristin along with the UPS tracking number for the shipment. The replacement Montana wording for the cap should be in hand tomorrow so the weekend project looks like a go!! I can only give Kudos to Kristin for a great response and hope others are as fortunate. Sorry to hear that Bill, have you e-mailed Kristin or did you contact someone else??
Bingo
I’ve talked with her on the phone once. I’ve e-mailed her at least twice. I guess I got lost in the shuffle somewhere. I’ll have to call her back again on the phone. I don’t know what the problem is.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #16
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Dave,
If you have sons-in-laws, you should be able to exert SOME pressure to get them to do it. It's a father-in-law's perogative.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Their work schedule is hard to work around. But I will get it done eventually...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 AM   #18
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I replaced the Montana decals on the front and the street side. They came out great. Also added my MOC number on the front - street side corner and the back of camper under the window. I GUESS I CAN GIVE YOU A GOOD TIP ON REMOVING THE DECALS THAT I LEARNED YEARS AGO. Worked with plastics for 40 years. Take a razor blade scraper with a single edge blade in it. On the scraper, note some way of identifying that the scraper is in an upward position (such as lettering on scraper,piece if tape). Take a sheet of at least 200 Grit sandpaper and lay it on a perfectly flat surface. With the scraper in the upward position, lay the blade on the flat surface and pull it towards you. This takes all if the jagged edges off of the blade. You can now lay the blade on the camper surface and not be afraid of scratching it. ALWAYS HAVE THE SCRAPER IN THE UPWARD POSITION WHEN ON CAMPER SURFACE. After removing the letters or scenic view, Clean with Naptha. Lighter fluid is the same thing. You can buy that in the paint departments of your Lowe's, Home Depot, or Menards stores. One other thing. Take a pencil and put a small mark on the bottom edges of where old decals were removed. This makes a good reference point for replacing the new decal. Use pencil eraser to take it off if you don't cover it with new lettering. Doing it this way, you don't need heat guns or hair dryers as mentioned in some other articles on this subject. Just be CAREFUL and take your time.....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 AM   #19
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I just learned that Kristin is no longer working with the graphics for the Montana’s. Someone else has taken over that job by the name of Nicky. Waiting to hear from them.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #20
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Wow, received my Montana Graphic last month after 1 e-mail to Kristin. Removed the decal by simply pulling it off starting at the edges which I lifted up with my fingernail, it was about 94 out and in direct sun. Took about 20 minutes to get it off. Used naptha to remove the glue and then goo-gone for the residue, that took about 45 minutes and a bunch of paper towel (1 roll for the whole job). Standing back looking at it I am not to sure I even want the Montana back on there, it looks good without it. A survey through the RV park here had a 95 percent NO on replacing the Montana word. Have to take some more time and think about it.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote