Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
New Unit has arrived!!!!

Today we were notified that our 3665RE has arrived and is ready it be picked up.
I've learned so much about the Montanas in the short time I've been reading the forum I thought it might be a good idea to ask: Is there anything in particular we should look for when we go over the unit on the day of delivery? It would be nice to address any issues before we bring it home.

John

Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Congratulations!
I’m excited for you and hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, Go to montanaowners.com and take a look at the PDI(s)(Pre Delivery Inspection), it is a good idea to give the dealer a copy and tell him these are the things you want to check the day you pick it up, before you sign the final papers or present the final check. Do not let them skimp on this, this is a big investment on your part and you need to get it right. You always have the ability to take it back in for warranty work, and you should, but this will get many of the items off the "punchlist" before you take it home. Be sure to FILL all tanks and check for leaks, any propane leaks, get them fixed before you leave the lot. I think you get the jist of what I am saying. Congratulations and Good Luck with your new unit.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you do not have one go to this link and pull one of the PDI check sheets. PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection.

I used this one.

It is suggest that you give your dealer a copy of the PDI you are going to use in advance so they know what is coming.

Plan on taking all 8 hours to do this. Do not rush it.

When doing your PDI and find problems take pictures of the problem.

You want to see all items work water faucets, both 110 and 12 lights. to include the dump valves.

so ask them for a full hookup location to go through the PDI.

One last comment. If you have a large list of problems off your PDI or a major one. I have heard the concept of holding back your down payment when paying off your unit until the problems are corrected. This is known to help motivate them to fix the problems.

Good luck and let us know how things work out. Congratulations on your new unit.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Do a Google search on you computer and look up, "RV inspection checklist" go over it beforehand and take a copy with you. They will probably try and rush you through the inspection. But take your time and go over it thoroughly. Get as much taken care of beforehand. Even after all of that you will still find things (hopefully little things) wrong with it. But you will eventually work the bugs out. Congratulations and have fun with it.

Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Thanks for the advise. I printed the PDI and plan to fax a copy to the dealer tomorrow. Looks like I'll be spending several hours doing the inspection.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Congratulations!
Were excited for you and Jodi hope you get many years of enjoyment from it. Allen& Iris
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
One thing I will add that really helped us out. The dealer gave us a quick run through on using everything and we video taped it (old technology these days). Then I transferred it to DVD and put it in the trailer. It came in handy a couple of times!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and we hope you have many happy times in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
herkojerko

M.O.C. #9879
Be sure to pay close attention when the dealer gives you the walk around. Don't rely on reading the owners manual because it doesn't pertain to just your particular trailer it is a general saftey manual for all of their trailers. Good luck and have fun in your 3665.
herkojerko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Congratulations and welcome to the "Montana Family". Most of all ENJOY!!!!
Jack
Old 12-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Welcome to the Montana family and have a blast with your new unit!
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #13
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Update:
After reading the PDI you provided I called the dealer and made an appointment for 11am Saturday morning. I advised them that I would arrive 2 hours early to do a walk around on my own which they had no problem with.
I spent two days prior to the inspection installing a 16k Super5th hitch in the 08 F350 I bought a week before.
Since I'm new to towing a trailer versus driving a Class A I was trying to make sure everthing was in place and didn't overlook anything.
Saturdays weather forcast and eventual 4+ inches of snow wasn't going to stop me! I loaded all the tools perscribed in the PDI and arrived at the dealer door step at 9am. They took me out to my unit and I started the inspection. About 15 minutes later one of the inspectors showed up. At first I thought they were going to try rushing me thru the process but as it turned out he was very helpful. We spent almost 6 hours going over the entire trailer. I suspect if the weather was better it would have been 8 or 9 hours.
In general, the attention to preparing the unit from the factory thru the dealers shop appeared complete. We found a couple of flaws on the exterior graphics and some minor interior issues. Everything was noted and will be addressed.
Then it came time to couple the truck to the trailer and the latch wouldnt close completly. We cleaned the paint off the pin, lubricated the components and after a couple of attempts it latched ok. Then we found a blown fuse in the truck/trailer stop light circuit which seemed like a big deal only because I was cold, wet and anxious to get home with the snow coming down. Finally I got on the road and arrived home about 5:30pm. My driveway was icy and it was necessary to put the truck in four wheel drive to get up to the house but I made it ok.
So now the fun continues making travel plans, tinkering with the trailer and reading everyones posts in the forum.

Thanks
John

Old 12-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Congratulations and what a great pre-Christmas Present.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:27 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
John.... Great PDI. You are staring out on the right foot. It would be nice if you could do a couple days of camping in the unit..Can you do that in the driveway??? Just to do a dynamic check of all systems.Early on we made a list of all the probems reported on this forum..large and small then checked them out on mine...It is good preventitive maint.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
bobneal
Established Member

M.O.C. #5308
My dealer gives us a "free" night in a nearby campground to check everything out. This time I'm going to pay for a couple of more nights to go over everything and then drive it to another campground about 20 miles away for a few nights. The dealer has been very good about warranty repair, which is why I'm buying a new 2010 from him and it should be delivered this week.
bobneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #17
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
The dealer did give us a free stay at a Gettysburg campground but the local Weather hasn't been the greatest so I didn’t take the trailer out but not to be discouraged I plugged it into the 50 amp power supply at the house, turned on the furnace and stayed in it this past weekend. It took almost one day to get the interior up to 65. We tried all the appliances, TVs, DVD player etc and all was well. We didn't use the water system since it was already winterized. The remote control that operates the slides and landing gear is very handy and that 40" flat screen is great.
Overall we're pleased so far although I was a little surprised how squeaky the floor is especially when Montana brags about the one piece flooring they use. Is this condition typical in other Montana’s that are constructed the same way?
Also, I now see why so many complain about the power cord. That thing is like a spring!!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When you get ready to start packing for your first extended trip try this: spend three or four nights in the rig and think what you will need for that stay. Then go in the house and get it. This works for dishes, silverware, linens, towels, bath stuff, cookware, and just about everything else. Don't do like we did and go the other way. Staying in the house and thinking I need that, that and that. We just off loaded about 900 lbs of stuff we haven't used in two years. It is easier to acquire stuff then it is to off load it later far from home.. Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote