Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
dry heat

Hello all I have a question that I'm sure one or more of you can anwser. We just got an offer from the company we work for. They want us to relocate to between Tucson and Phoenix Az. It will be around the 1st of Jan. I know right now the temp will be comfortable. We have a 1 1/2 year old Yorkie and the DW is worried that between may to sept the heat may be to much for him. We have two A/C's Front Room and Bedroom. Some times the Front room unit Freezes up and I don't think the bedroon one can keep the temp down by itself. We have only been in about 92 deq. so far.What can be done to keep them operating to keep it cool enough for the animal? Thanks ahead of time for your take on this. randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Randye,
If you have two A/Cs you will have no worries about keeping cool.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have lived in Arizona and yes the heat is dry heat. Phoenix is warmer than Tucson. For the Summer months the South Eastern corner is the place to be (Sierra Vista/Fort Huachuca). Phoenix will get very hot in the Summer months. We were in Phoenix in June 2006 and the temp at 5:00 pm the temp was 115 degrees, there is more humidity in Phoenix than say Tucson, I was told its because of all the irrigation??? Two A/C's will be needed for sure in Arizona and in Phoenix they will work very hard. But Arizona is a great place to live. In parts of Arizona they use whats call swamp coolers and they work also, I wouldn't recomend them for a RV, lots of moisture. We are thinking about going back to Arizona next winter, the Casa Grande area. We were there in 2007 also. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dry heat...sure...but hot..is ..hot.and 105/110 dry heat is..welllll...hot. Been there during the summer months, Tucson, Phonenix,Etc. Two a/c's will work hard to maintain a comfortable level in these campers but it will be Ok.. Should the A/C's fail anything inside will be fricasseed in short order.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Randy ... the 2nd AC will definitely help. And, whether you make the move or not, to keep your LR AC unit from freezing up, try running only on high fan. That works for us.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Vickir.... I have heard/read that before to prevent freeze ups. When you say run on high fan, does that mean not thermostatically controlled? Just select the "High" setting with the A/C setting? My temp controller also has a fan only setting but that does not run the A/C, it just moves the air around. Please confirm.

I had this problem on another rig and didn't know how to solve it. We just fricasseed (or went to a cooler location) until enough ice unfroze and the unit could continue working. I have not had this problem on the Monty and I hope knowing this procedure will solve it. But I have to understand the settings, though. Thanks for the help.

If this is the case, the OP should not have any problem in Tucson. 2 A/Cs should keep the rig cool enough for everyone as long as the freezeup DOES NOT occur.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
It's a dry heat okay, a very very hot dry heat. So hot that many businesses have covered parking, not only for their customers, but their employees as well. I for one would not want to be in PHX in the summer in an RV without some kind of shade. One reason Tucson is dryer than PHX is that it is about 1,200' higher.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I would have the unit checked for being a little low on freon. When it is hot out and it still freezes up that is usually the problem (20 years in the business Good Luck.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I lived in Tucson from 1988 to 1992. Don't let anyone kid you about dry verses wet heat; HOT IS HOT, when it gets over 100 it really doesn't matter. The heat drove us to Alaska after 5 years. We did have, and used, a swamp cooler except for July and August. They have, what they call, monsoon season. This is almost daily thunderstorms which increases the humidity during those months to the point that a swamp cooler only adds to the humidity so we had to use our AC. I also think your two AC's should cool alot, but I would not expect a 75 degree trailer on a 110 degree day. I have not lived in that heat in my Montana but others say the AC will cool down about 20 degrees from ambient temp, this would depend on the humidity, of course. However, IF one should go out, you will slowly roast.

My youngest son lives in Phoenix and loves it, except for July and August. He got married in July of '04 and that day was about 108, I ALMOST HAD A STROKE. Will not visit him in the summer, nope, no way. We will be there after the Spring Rally next year but only until about mid April, hopefully before it hits 100, usually sometime in May this happens. I'm told Phoenix has more swimming pools per capita than any other city in the nation, probably why the humidity is so high.

If I had to go back during the summer, I would want an energy efficient house or apartment to stay in.

I hope I have shed some light on the dessert situation. Also, remember this is just my opinion.....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I'd take the dry heat any day. I lived in Southern Ca.by the beach all my life,four years a go we decided to move to Hesperia,Ca. in the High Desert,What a difference. We love the dry heat,it could be 105 out in the direct sun and if you stay under cover such as the patio you would think is was around 85 degree's. The big difference between dry heat is the fact you stay DRY! Down by the beach at 85 degree's it feels like 100 and you're always soak and wet.
You take a shower and can't dry yourself off.
Here in Hesperia it goes from 115 in the summer down to 15 in the winter.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Jack I agree the Dry Heat is so much better. In Sierra Vista/Fort Huachuca the hotest part of the day, when I lived there if your were in the shade the dry heat wasn't a problem. But Phoneix is terrible in the summer months the heat is terrible. I want go to Phoneix in the Summer, Sedona Az in the summer months. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Randye go to fan only Setting and set it to high speed then move to AC Setting for temp. the fan will run on high all the time untill you go back and set It to auto again or mine will. It will with the CCC. I would love to see az but I dont know about 115 degrees!!.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
My wife and I currently live in a small desert town north of Lake Havasu City. We have been in and around Phoenix quite a bit during the past few years. You talked about relocating between Tucson and Phoenix. That sounds like Casa Grande or Marana area and that is a long way from Siera Vista/Ft Huachuca.

We have 2 A/Cs on our 3075. the 2 of them working together kept the coach quite comfortable at 115 outside. We did put the rear one on high speed fan and the forward one (15,000 BTU unit) on low cool. We had no problems with freeze up. Both units cycled the compressor on and off as needed. Assuming your units are working properly, you should have no problem with comfort. Our long hair chihuahua and our Jack Russel are quite comfortable.

Good luck with your move.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Thanks All for your imput, as always helped tremendously. We should be leaving here, NM. Just after Christmas and we are going to be at Picacho Peak, Bowlin's has asked the DW to be the Manager and I will be head of Maint. two other men under me. We should enjoy the Weather, for the first four months and then we will see if the units will do the job. We have the 3485SA 2007. Thanks Again. have a great winter.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Congratulations on your new jobs.

At least, DW being the manager, she gets to stay indoors, but you might not have the same luxury if you have to do any work outdoors in 118 degree weather. But I guess that's why you took the "lead position". You can delegate the other two unfortunate souls to go outside to do the work and hope they don't mess up the job on purpose to force you out there too.. just kiddin'! Enjoy your time there.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #16
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Art Yes and No. We did however, think that this experiance, would set us up a step or two. This way future jobs we could do more of what we want, and have the one's under us do what we don't like to do. Both of us are the kind that we lead by example so that may be hard to over come. You are right, if they will do the job, and do it right. I know the one guy, he was here at the Flying C Ranch and I trained him. He is used to doing security for the higher end Resorts and he is a bit slow. All in all we still, think we can get something out of it. We are on wheels and that makes it easier for a quick get away, if all else fails. Thanks for your insight its right on. randye