Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Hard to do

This AM it is 12 degrees. We plan on the 15th as departure date for the annual sun hunt. Thought of starting to put things in Monty. How does one pick out short sleave shirts when it is this cold? Maybe a few short pants, sandels, a straw hat, and swim suit. The next few days we are to get snow. Only flurries the wx man says. So I better start packing while I can.

DAMM it is cold out there!!!!!

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
turn the heat up to 95 and wait in 95 for four hours. LOL. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We first left for Florida in December snow in North before we left... then we left in November..snow in North before we left..now we left in October..snow was predicted but we fled before it happened. We do not like snow any more..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dick,

It was 25 here in Page Springs, AZ....might want to keep a couple of long sleeved shirts, and some long pants, and a coat on hand, before leaving.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robbie gives good advice. Don't know where you are headed but 20 degrees here the other night (here is San Antonio, TX). Actually had SNOW in the forecast. It missed us to the north. We actually don't mind the cool temps (having lived in Alaska for 14 years), just don't want to get "snowed in" in a trailer.... My BIL had the solution this summer. He bought the pants that the legs unzip. After he unzipped them one day I made him promise not to do that again.... He was almost as white as I was when we came from Alaska 3 years ago. One must plan for all situations when trailering around.

Hope you guys find the sun soon (and that's not an oriental restaurant).
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
It is a difficult decision, warm clothes, cooler clothes. Depending on when we travel and where, I pack a suitcase of the opposite of what I have in the RV and stick it in storage.

Last time I did that I forgot I had it. Froze my tootsies off when the sweatshirt and other items were in the suitcase. So hang them in the closet. Sort by, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, one for warm, one for cold, until you run out of room.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dang Wayne, That's a lot of clothes......I don't think I even own that many........lol
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I ran out of room after the 5th warm/cold cycle...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Dick, we finally got out of the minus-whatever temperatures today and enjoyed a balmy 31 degrees for the day. Out where I live (Horse Prairie, south of Dillon), the temps since last week have been -32 to -28 at night, rising to -4 during the day. (Dillon's temperature was about 10 degrees higher than Horse Prairie's). Don't think we weren't thinking about Quartzite over and over during the last 5 or 6 days.

If you pack wrong, you can always buy what you need. I do know what you mean about how hard it is to pack for warm weather when you look out and see a blizzard in progress.

Carolyn
PS: After the 7 Feathers rally, we did get some of those chocks like you and Toni have. What a difference!
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Dick,
It was only 19 here last night, of course we are on Whidbey Island and close to the water, so that keeps us warm. I guess we will keep checking the weather at Qsite and pack accordingly.....whatever that means.
Jack
Old 12-11-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Dick
0930 At the Port Dock it just started to snow.
See ya next month.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I better bring along a bunch of MOC sweatshirts. :-)
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Waynem was probably counting his socks one at a time, too.

Several years ago, DW and I ventured on a 1 month long National Parks tour using our SUV and we took camping gear, planned stays in cabins and actually planned very few evenings in a motel/hotel. We wanted to travel fast, far and light. We expected to be away mid-september, returning mid-October. We planned as far north as Glacier National Park. Not knowing what to expect, and even though the temperature was 97 outside I packed T-shirts as well as warm clothing. Then I packed our parkas, snow pants, thermals of different thicknesses and DW absolutely freaked. "What the HECK are you packing those for". My reply, "Just in case". I had also packed portable propane heaters for our tent and all the cold weather sleeping bags and gear. In 97 degrees, no less.

You guessed it, within a week of our trip, while in Grand Teton, our first Nat. Park, the weather went south on us. Totally unexpectedly, snow, sleet and daily temperatures averaging 35 and going no higher than 39 during the day, hit us. Overnight temps were way below freezing. I remember seeing 20 degrees outside prior to us retiring into our tent for the eventing. Lots of people, even in RVs headed for home. Even the locals were caught off-guard. I asked them why they weren't wearing warm stuff and they said, "This is not supposed to be happening right now and all our cold weather stuff was stored away for another few weeks". They said since the storm was unexpected they would wait it out. It stayed cold through Yellowstone for a week, Custer National Park, Devil's Tower and half our stay in Glacier National Park another 5-6 days later. After that temps returned to the 80s like nothing ever happened, but we had been prepared.

Now after hearing that, I hope Dick and Toni have no problem planning for the opposite in temps. This is gonna be a cold winter even in the southwest, me thinks. Even where I live the day temps are 50 and the evening temps are approaching freezing, but it won't last long. Pack for the worst and you'll enjoy the best.

Have a safe trip!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ok troops! Stop this whining and get real! We have 14" of snow on the ground and the high today was about 10*. I probably couldn't even get to the Monte to hook up and head South if I wanted. It is 7:15 PM and the temp is a whole 6* with a wind chill of -7*. It's suppose to get down to -4* tonight! We are actually going to have a heat wave tomarrow and it's suppose to get up to POSSIBLY 30*. Guess we'll havae to dig out the shorts and t-shirts! Enjoy your winter in the sun gang!! Carolyn and Wayne- I really feel sorry for you but just think of the tremendous views you have there!!Phil-- Your BIL was just trying to make you feel at home from all that snow in AK!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Next time Dick, leave all your summer things in the Tana. Then when it gets cold run like h*&l and get out.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote