Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
sewer hose length for 3455 SA

After getting over the shock that I could buy a 60 thousand dollar trailer and not even be supplied with a sewer hose...... well that's another issue huh? Anyway, my RV dealer couldn't even tell me what length sewer hose would fit in the new style swing arm . And are the support dollies suggested ?
Thanks for any advice !

Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What a cheap dealer. Every trailer I, my friends and family bought from a dealer was provided a "new trailer starter kit" from the dealer, whether the trailer was new or not. The kit would include a 5' or 10' sewer hose. It was not necessarily the best quality and might get replaced within the first year but at least it was better than nothing. I am only commenting regarding the older pre-swing arm equipped trailers. Chances are high you will need longer than that, but I find it's better to have more short hoses than one long hose to provide more flexibility in length needed, but this also increases the number of couplers you need as well.

Over time, I now have one 5 footer and three 10 footers, all with a screw-on female coupler on one end and male coupler on the other end. I couple them as needed to ensure I have no extra bends along the way to the sewer inlet.

Hopefully someone will be along and provide answers for your specific swing arm configuration.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Sounds to me like your dealer left something to desire. Every dealer I've ever heard of gives you the "cheap" essencials with a new camper.
The new sewer boom will hold a 10ft hose. I also suggest some sort of end cap to keep from getting back splash when opening.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
I agree. We have a 3455SA and we got the starter kit that included the hose. Even when we bought a 2002 Cedar Creek in 2007 we got the starter kit! Some cheaper dealer there!
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
What a cheap dealer. Our son and his wife bought a 20 year old MH and the dealer had a big sign up congratulating them and a complete starter kit which included a hose, chemical, power and sewer adapters and spent a couple of hours going over how everything operated. So you know where they will buy there next RV.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
Boy, I certainly got some news on that post. now I'm mad at the dealer !! I know i should get used to it, but i was disappointed to hear this news.

But i guess a 10 foot hose will fit in the tube, so 10 foot it is. Any pointers on brand etc. Or just buy the most expensive and hope we blow out a sidewall ?!! Ha !
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
No advice on brand but do get one made for seasonal RVing and not the cheaper, short time hose.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Word to the wise:

If you get a heavy duty hose like RhinoFLEX, you are only going to get about 6 or 7 feet of it to fit in the stock sewer boom.

Some of us have replaced the stock tube with a longer one to hold more hose. Here are some pics of what I did, scroll down a few posts. >> Click Here
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have several of the RhinoFlex and really like them. Have several couplers and adapters and donuts and cherry pie (oops) and a couple of metal hose clamps, if needed.........One can never have enough hose, or did I say that wrong???
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Superdave,
Here is a picture of the mod we made to ours. It is virtually the same as what KT Maniac did and describes in his link. We can get a 20' heavy duty hose in the tube.
Jack

Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Superdave,
Just picked up my new 3400RL a month ago, and the "kit" that the dealer furnished had a 10 foot hose (a cheap one) but, nonetheless a hose. Pretty much that's all that will fit in the swing-arm. I already had to, at the second campground I stayed at, to buy a 15' Rhino(much better quality) kit since 10' was too short. Of course I had to also get a clamp-on coupling kit so as to mate up with the 10' hose. Haven't worked out a good storage solution yet.
Regards, Jerry and Sandy
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Superdave -
A couple of comments. You're already upset with your dealer, so I'll give you some better news. I bought the EZ Coupler kit. It comes with two ten foot heavy duty hoses with permanently attached ends. I leave one connected permanent inside the sewer boom. You probably noticed you have no sewer door. Thanks to a few MOCers at the rally this year, I purchased and installed a sewer door right above the boom. I then keep my second ten footer in there along with the adapter that came with the kit. This works great. Be careful if you install the door to measure the height to the floor. One of our members who I won't name (Steve), alerted us to this fact by testing it himself first. I have the trough support and it slides nicely inside the boom when I'm connected to the septic system. I keep that in my front compartment, but will probably add a sewer tube under the belly next year. Don't like sewer stuff in my basement. Good luck with your new trailer.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote