Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
sealing underneath for critters

Need advise on best way to seal under to prevent mice entry. Foam came loose around a couple pipes. Also, big openings where shackles and rear jacks come through. Also small openings where the ABS underbelly joints overlap. Is it safe to fill shackle and jack openings with expandable foam. Will roofing tape hold up on the ABS overlaps? I've used the dryer sheets, electronic gadget etc, still getting it. I'm wondering if sealing under is best way to go? Whats the best way to seal it up? Thanks and God Bless, Ray

ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have tried everything..Nothing works well. Foam around the big holes, Gorilla tape. The thing is that sooner or later, probably sooner, you will have to drop the under belly for one of several reasons thereby pulling everything loose. We use foam around the big holes..it pulls loose easy. We use gorilla tape everywhere else it also pulls loose sort of easy. I would not want anything that might seal permanently as that under belly will be coming off.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We used a combination of three things. For most of the smaller type of holes we used the expandable foam. For the smaller cracks we used lots of steel wool jammed into the space. Then for the large spaces around the front landing gear and at the rear we used a heavy plastic material we call puck board, cut larger than the opening and then pop riveted it into place. We also found critters entering our basement area through the large openings found around the main ram for each particular slide. We used lots of steel wool for this as well, installed in place once set up and the slides out, don't forget to remove before bringing in the slides, then re-install once the slides are in before we park the unit for ANY amount of time.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Thanks Rich & Darmar for the replies. I sealed under where all the pipes and lines go through with coarse steel wool, then foam. I used gorilla tape on the overlaps. I also sealed under both sinks where everything comes through and in my big front storeage bay around all the pipes and lines. But I'm confused about what to do where the shackles and rear jacks come through. From what I can see there is a lot of air space up there and gaps between where the ABS and the aluminum panels meet. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help, Ray
Old 03-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did the best I could with Gorilla tape for the ease of removal. I mean we have had our undebelly down 4 times in 34 months.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have used thin aluminum sheet that you can buy in coils from hardware or auto parts stores. (I think it is intended for body work). I cut pieces to close off openings such as around spring hanger, and attach with pop rivets.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
I used auto body aluminum tape on the rear jack openings and foam on the front jacks.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Bob, does the tape stick long term or do you have to add fasteners also? This sounds like a good solution since I'm not real mechanically inclined. Thanks, Ray
Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ray, I would suggest you use some kind of screen material with small holes that are small enough to keep the critters out but don't impede airflow. When your furnace runs it also pumps air (2 inch duct) into the belly to keep your tanks and water lines from freezing. When air is pumped out, air must exit somewhere or you impede the flow of warm air into the belly. If you fully seal all those holes, there is nowhere for the air to exit. If you never are in freezing weather then it's probably not a big deal. But for us, it is. I have not covered ours but I think it's a good idea to do so. But I'll use a fine screen material when I do. Just a few thoughts.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
I NEVER thought of letting the air escape. It makes sense, I'll try the screen around the brackets. Thanks again, Ray
Old 04-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good topic! It may stop red squirrels from getting up into your Montana and then not being able to find their way back out so that they eventually die in your attic after chewing on your duct work for a week or so and causing you to pay $100 for an exterminator to come out to your 3400RL (twice) to tell you that unless you want to pay for tearing down your entire ceiling there is nothing you can do...

Just for example... Glad that didn't happen to ME. I'll be looking for some screening when I get out Montana out of the repair shop.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Maybe we’re just the lucky ones but we’ve not had any problems with critters getting into the Monty. Last year we did have a problem with ants but I haven’t seen any this year after it sat through the cold winter months. Still good advice here! Thanks Rich for the reminder of how we may have to remove the under belly at times. I know we have removed parts of ours at least once since we’ve had it.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mt. Shasta rally, 2006, I opened the front locker door and...

She got in through one of the openings around a rear stabilizer and got from the belly to the front locker via the opening through which the wires pass. This was on a 2003 3295RK.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I still have a dead one in my attic... Not lucky enough to find its way back out. I am having both my grey tanks replaced. I will make sure the tech working on my unit totally seals up my underbelly - especially the openings at the rear stabilizers - before I pick up my 3400 from the shop and bring it back to my red squirrel infested (for now) back yard.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Guys,
This might seem a little on the simple question type, but I wondered why Keystone didn't put some type of flex membrane in the holes where the water and tv cable enter the rig. I have a 09 3605Rl and am tempted to place a little truck tube piece cut to size with diagonal cuts that would close around the hoses. Any suggestions?
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I just stuff a rag in the opening after I hook up the hoses.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I have been lucky and not had any mice issues (knocking on wood) to date. I have used the expanded foam in all the opening, along with steel wool and duct tape. I have also had to remove my under belly 4 times in the last three years also for various reasons. I also just stuff a rag after hooking up water and cable.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Another approach might be to consider that there are only eight points of contact with the ground, and address each of those. I am thinking of something like an aluminum disk or shield that could be placed around each support and each axle. If you could close off those routes of access, you should be able to keep mice out. (squirrels may be another issue though).

Since I have not done this, I am only offering this as an alternative to explore.

We have been using one of those ultrasonic repellers. So far, so good, but with mice, you can never let down your guard. I'm of the opinion that you have to do everything you can to keep them out, then use bait to eliminate any that do get in.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote