Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Ice Maker Water Lines

What type of water line does Montana use to connect to the ice maker? I assume it will be the thin semi clear lines that usually come with an ice maker connection kit. Had that in the house and it developed pin hole leaks which went undetected for some time and resulted in damaged floor. How hard (assuming the thin lines) will it be to replace with stainless steel braided lines? Has anyone done this? Me, being me, am probably over paranoid.

Thanks in advance.

Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
My fridge is in a slide so it has to have a flex line attached to it. The line is a semi clear line like your talking about. If your really worried about it you might look into either SST tubing or SST braided flex line. Warning it could get a big expensive depending on how long the run is from the supply. Plus you will have to get PEX to National Standard thread adapter (not a big deal as Lowes or home depot will have them). You might also want to look into getting some additional PEX fittings, line and the tools to work on it as sooner or later your going to need them and PEX is a little harder to come by than PVC.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
My fridge is in a slide so it has to have a flex line attached to it. The line is a semi clear line like your talking about. If your really worried about it you might look into either SST tubing or SST braided flex line. Warning it could get a big expensive depending on how long the run is from the supply. Plus you will have to get PEX to National Standard thread adapter (not a big deal as Lowes or home depot will have them). You might also want to look into getting some additional PEX fittings, line and the tools to work on it as sooner or later your going to need them and PEX is a little harder to come by than PVC.
Thanks, I'll add those to my list of "things to buy for the new 5th wheel". Like yours, the model we are looking at has the refrigerator in the slid. Do you know where the other end is tied into the PEX? I guess each model may be different, I'll probably just have to wait until we get it.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Thanks, I'll add those to my list of "things to buy for the new 5th wheel". Like yours, the model we are looking at has the refrigerator in the slid. Do you know where the other end is tied into the PEX? I guess each model may be different, I'll probably just have to wait until we get it.
I haven't traced it back yet (we just got our camper) but I bet someone else on here has your model and has.

Watch out for how the line stretches out when you extend the slide. Our line was catching on part of the body of the camper!! Fixed it by adding some zip ties to hold the line closer to a spring designed to keep it away from obstructions.....

Our 5er has two low point drain lines under the belly of the beast. One is for the fresh water tank and the other is a low point drain for the ice maker....
Old 02-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I haven't traced it back yet (we just got our camper) but I bet someone else on here has your model and has.

Watch out for how the line stretches out when you extend the slide. Our line was catching on part of the body of the camper!! Fixed it by adding some zip ties to hold the line closer to a spring designed to keep it away from obstructions.....

Our 5er has two low point drain lines under the belly of the beast. One is for the fresh water tank and the other is a low point drain for the ice maker....
Those two low point drains are in addition to the drains in the convenience center? I need to make a note of that, I thought everything was in the convenience center. We are looking at the 3121.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
The two drains at the convenience center are primarily for winterizing. As is the drain for the ice maker. I use the drain on the fresh water tank regularly as we often camp at sites that don't have water hookups but we always empty the tank for the road.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Those two low point drains are in addition to the drains in the convenience center? I need to make a note of that, I thought everything was in the convenience center. We are looking at the 3121.
You are welcome to come back by and look at the ice maker lines or anything else you want to on our unit. Same place through 2/27.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #8
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
You are welcome to come back by and look at the ice maker lines or anything else you want to on our unit. Same place through 2/27.
Thanks, may try to swing back by. If we don't make it, I'm sure we will see you this summer.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Thanks, may try to swing back by. If we don't make it, I'm sure we will see you this summer.
Sent you a PM.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:29 AM   #10
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Sent you a PM.
It didn't come through.