Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Capacitor information

Check it out:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/CapacitorInfo?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLHgw_6F4vD UsgE&feat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Looks like an oil dump capacitor got a might warm to make that top pop like that.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
And what's the price of that split or dual capacitor? Just had two of them replaces on our furnace and the outside A/C unit!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, that is tough to price, as we have to stock about 25 of them, but the actual cost is around $13.00 you have to charge more than a regular mark-up, to cover the stocking. Cheaper than running to the parts store for the customer, as the $75-$100 per hr call needs to be cut to the hr.
If that makes any sense at all...
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz , you'd be a good Heating and Cooling salesperson. I think all of the servicemen for all of the companies here in Omaha have been trained to be a professional con-artist and fast talking dude! You know just how to use the words to confuse a customer! Thanks by the way on a pricing. I've talked to the company that replaced our capacitors and they were suppose to send me a refund check for part of the bill and also cancel the service contract we signed up for. Guess what-- no check as of date and they are still charging me for the service contract too. Guess I'll make a trip to their office on Monday!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
We just returned from a few days camping at a Core of engineers park. Upon arriving discovered AC compressor would run but fan would not. First thought capacitor. Well before getting on roof I removed the inside vent cover and could not turn blower fan. Rocking it back and forth I was able to get it to turn. Turned AC back on and it ran all week end. Looked at AC manual to see what kind of lubricant I needed. Was surprised that bearings need no lubrication. This AC is not even a year old. Wonder if any lubricate was used and if a bearing or bushing is used.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Motors are like anything else, some are made well, some not so much. The days of motors that need to be lubed, for the most part, are over. They suspect that people won't care for them, and most won't. I find people won't even change their filters until they get so clogged they get sucked into the fan. Oillite is probably a brand name, but when I was in the Navy as a machinist, we used it for bearings, you soak the brass in oil and it works nicely as a sleeve bearing. I like to install ball bearing motors, but they are pricey. Yours is probably the brass sealed bearing, but the seal was probably bad, letting in the dust and crud. I would complain to the Mfg. about it, should last longer than that.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Motors are like anything else, some are made well, some not so much. The days of motors that need to be lubed, for the most part, are over. They suspect that people won't care for them, and most won't. I find people won't even change their filters until they get so clogged they get sucked into the fan. Oillite is probably a brand name, but when I was in the Navy as a machinist, we used it for bearings, you soak the brass in oil and it works nicely as a sleeve bearing. I like to install ball bearing motors, but they are pricey. Yours is probably the brass sealed bearing, but the seal was probably bad, letting in the dust and crud. I would complain to the Mfg. about it, should last longer than that.
Amen to that! Our house was built in 1954, along with a hundred or so in the subdivision. We bought it in 1978 and the first winter, I went to service the heating system (no ac at that time) and I don't think anyone had ever oiled the fan motor bearings, as there was no oil residue anywhere around them - and no one can be that careful when oiling something it took a contortionist to reach. That motor was still going strong when we went to a high efficiency system, and the first thing I noticed was no fittings to oil the bearings.

For that past 15 years or so, the automakers have followed this trend with greaseless bearing, tie rod ends and ball joints, and while I like not having to do these tasks, I don't believe they last as long as the old ones did with proper maintenance, and would prefer the old style.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hello OZZ

Oillite is a brand name the product is Sintered Bronze and has an ASE number 841.

Sintered Bronze bushings are quite easy to find and purchase in small quantities.
Here is a set of pictures of a repair I did to a model train front truck using Sintered Bronze bushings.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...hp?f=8&t=94440

The oil just drips out of them during the reaming process. They should last for a long time. We put new tubes in the boiler on that same locomotive model about 10 years ago.

Here are a couple of picture of it after refurbishment.
http://www.sallyscoffees.com/whistle/atlantic.htm
Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good info Phil, your trains are awesome, great work on them, and thanks for going to the trouble of posting the links and pictures... eye candy!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Ozz

Just so you don’t get me in trouble.

The trains that reside at my home belong to my WIFE. LOL
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Ozz