Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
M00N1
Established Member

M.O.C. #1624
Flying J

Could anyone help me here please. There is a Flying J truckstop on I69 in Lansing, Michigan heading south. How easy is it to get in and out of from the highway for us pulling our 36' fifth wheel. Any information would be appreciated.

M00N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
www.flyingj.com then click on locations.. Looks like there is one. You should have no prblem. We pull our 39 foot 3400 in and out all the time as they are designed for big trucks. Most do have pull through fuel stations for RV's..If not use the truck pumps. I am sure we have been in and out of that one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have done that numerous times. No real problem. Getting out you have to make a left onto the road, but that is normal. If there is a problem, it figuring out where to exit, because it is right near the junction of I-69 and I-96. As suggested above, go the Fj web site and follow the instructions carefully and watch the signs, it is actually off I-96, but the two interstates run together for a short distance at that point.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

We have done that numerous times. No real problem. Getting out you have to make a left onto the road, but that is normal. If there is a problem, it figuring out where to exit, because it is right near the junction of I-69 and I-96. As suggested above, go the Fj web site and follow the instructions carefully and watch the signs, it is actually off I-96, but the two interstates run together for a short distance at that point.

It is just west of the interstates on W. Grand River Highway. Map to Flying J
Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I just looked at a satellite map and you should have no probem getting in or out.
Double click on #96, or zoom in using the control. Switch to Aerial View for a good close up.

I think this is the one everyone is mentioning:

I-96 Exit 90 WB/I-69 Exit 81/I-96 Exit 90 EB
7800 West Grand River Ave
Grand Ledge, MI

It looks like they have 3 islands for MH's, but my personal preference is to use the truck lanes. I have never had a problem using the truck lanes. I know people have stated that truckers get upset, but I have found that not to be true in any of my travels. I don't like some of the close quarters that the so called RV islands have. But if you need propane, that is the place to do it, not the trucker lanes.

Edited: (For the New Driver) Typically in the truck lanes there are two pumps for each side of the rig. You must take the pump off of the master pump and turn it on for the slave pump to work, and set the nozzle down if they do not have a holder for it. Not all master pumps are on the same side at the different truck stops.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Not to change topics, but does anyone know if our RV cards still get the cash price? Seems like my last stop I payed full credit price (+9 cents)?
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by capn chris

Not to change topics, but does anyone know if our RV cards still get the cash price? Seems like my last stop I payed full credit price (+9 cents)?
I've been refueling all summer at the Flying J in Thousand Palms, CA and yes, I'm getting the cash price even though I use my credit card. I believe that my Flying J Rewards card is what gets me the cash price. And, did you know that Flying J has reinstituted their .01 cent discount if you use the Rewards card?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Good deal, Orv. Saw the $.01 but didn't seem to get cash price w/credit. Thanks. I'll watch closer next time. I, too, use RV rewards card and like to support Flying J since they support RVers.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did get the cash price at all flying j's on the way down to Florida...
Old 12-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We pretty much have alway trusted the Flying Js to be able to get in and out. Have never used the truck lanes, always used the RV lane. Thanks for the info, will try the truck lanes.

BTW, same goes for T/A and Loves.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Flying J told me that if I use the truck lanes I do not get cash price with credit card nor the 1 cent.
Only at the front pumps and RV pumps do I get the cash price.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good point awaywego..I was advised of the same thing. I have no problem with using the truck pumps as long as one understands the master/slave pump configuration and the " how to pay procedure". Many Rv'rs have no clue and hold up the line looking like idiots trying to figure out what to do. I will use the big truck pumps if we have to and have never had a problem with a trucker. We did have to use the truck pumps one time on the way down and did not get the perks.. At the truck pumps the "cash price" means...cash...
Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
johnmcc

M.O.C. #8988
Quote:

johnmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
johnmcc

M.O.C. #8988
Quote:

Which RV cards does Flying J accept to get the discount?
johnmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:50 AM   #15
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
They issue their own "Loyalty" cards that you use in addition to most regular credit cards to get the cash price and discount. (The discount is minimal, but getting the cash price while using a credit card is worth while to me). I think you can apply on line for a card. Mine called the "RV Real Value Club" card. Note that it is not a credit card, it just qualifies you for the cash price/discount when using another credit card.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #16
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
OntMont:
Does the "RV Real Value Club" card work with a DEBIT card also??...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:42 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
deadeye..yes they do.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #18
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Thanks Richfaa...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Always show the Flying J card on any purchase. Most employees will ask, but if they don't do show the card. When at the Truck pumps use the call phone give them the info, such as Truck # any # will work, I use Truck # 1 also tell them your are a RVer. Some not all will let you begin pumping, if not you will have to take a credit card, I send DW inside to the Fuel desk. If you don't know how to use a Sattelite pump, any of the Truck drivers will explain it to you. Very simple, it is advisable to remain at the pump handle. It fills at a very high rate per minute. For sure after you fill you Truck, please pull forward and clear the Pump island, the Truck driver behind you will appreciate it. And don't go inside and do your shopping, most OTR drivers are on a on time delivery status. You can park were the big boys park no problem. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lindy has got the procedure right.It does not take much time to be courteous. One of us will go ahead with the credit card and Flying J card. Sometimes there is a booth right at the pumps to pay, sometimes you have to go inside. If they can not see the rig do tell them you are a RV. We try to identify the master pump and pull on that side if possible. These are high speed pumps, be ready. Our 08 Ford can fill at 20 Gallons per minute so it does not take long to fill. Fuel and move out..be a good Rv'er.