Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
New feature on Blue portable dump tanks

For anyone thinking about getting a portable dump tank, Barton blue 4 wheel tanks now come with 4 pneumatic tires instead of the hard rubber tires. A much better setup as some folks have done this themselves, at some expense. I just picked up a 42 gal tank. The wheels are still held on with axle caps so I'll drill a hole in the end of each axle and use a washer and cotter pin to better secure the wheels. I've had a 2 wheel tank (another Barton) for about 15 years and one of the axle caps came off the first year. The cotter pins I put on haven't been changed since they were first installed.

mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Great idea. How do you haul it? On your ladder?
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
I don't haul anything on the ladder as I don't think it was designed to support any weight while traveling. The standard hitch that comes on the Montana is pretty flimsy in my opinion, so.... I had a 2" receiver hitch fabricated for the back of our Montana and have a "hitch hauler" platform with a 2" receiver tube welded to the bottom of it. I have a Yamaha gen bolted and cable locked to the right side of the platform and a 22 gal blue dump tank ratchet strapped to the left side of the platform, and a Swagman bike rack in the 2" receiver of the platform. I'll ratchet strap and cable lock the new tank where the old one sits after I make a couple wooden supports on the platform so chaffing doesn't wear a hole in the tank. Since I never remove the platform, I put the license plate and light at the bottom center of the platform. It works for us and what we use it for.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote