Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Running on board pump while hooked to city????

Ok quick question and yes I know I could probably figure it out if I just took time and ran it a while... But we are pulled in along my wife's Father's house, where he has a sewer connection and 30 RV electric connection we installed for this purpose. We normally connect up to his outside hose connection for water. The problem right now is he is on a well and he must have a problem with the pump. It has always had low water pressure but seems even lower now. I don't have the time to trouble shoot his pump and even if I did I don't know a whole lot about them but to pull it and replace it. That was in my younger days lol lol So for now till we can take care of the problem what happens when I have it hooked to the trailer and then turn on the on board pump???? I did it and yes the water pressure comes up but does it pump water out of the tank to join with the water from the hose... or does it just take water from the tank only. Best question is should I just fill my tank and run off the on board pump???

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Also, on newer rigs I understand there is a way to fill your on board tank while hooked up to city water. On an 06 is there a way to do that too?? I have never read anything about being able to do that but hey who knows?????
Old 08-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
For sure it is not going to pump water from out of a well. The little pump can't do it and even if it could, which it can't, it would collapse the garden hose.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I have an 07 and I can fill the tank on city water by turning the control in the convenience center to fill. You cannot pump from the tank in this position you have to turn it to normal. So every so often you will have to turn the control to fill the tank again.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The tank pump assists the city water source and builds pressure. Yes it pumps out of your holding tank. It does not put any back into the well system.
Yes you will have to fill your holding tank to keep doing this process but it is a great way to have pressure on a low presser city system.
I hope this helps and safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Ok that's what I needed to know....No I was not going to try to pump water from the well with the on board pump lol lol....but if I can put water in the tank and then keep the city water or in this case well water hooked up and run the pump it should take a while to empty the tank. Otherwise I would end up having to fill the tank every other day. I don't have a convience center so I do not think there is a way to fill the tank while hooked up to city water..... Oh well, at least if I can run my pump so it pulls water from the tank and also the well that would be good, and if we only use it for showers that would be better. Just don't want to have to unhook the water and fill the tank every other day since like I said it is a well and not a very strong one either.....thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We did it last summer in a similar situation.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We also do it when in a low pressure situation
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hi Guys:

Isn't it nice to get a short correct answer to your questions from someone as experienced and knowledgeable as H John Kohl. Thank you John. Hope to see you soon.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
drurytr
Established Member

M.O.C. #13724
I have well water and I have been leaving home with a full holding tank of well water. I use the campground water for a water supply until I need water for coffee, tea or cooking then I put the pump on let it run enough to clear the line and I seem to get rid of the clorinated water and can only taste my well water. So I think my onboard pump takes water from my holding tank and somehow over rides the city water connection. I am not sure I am right but this is my observation from camping a few times.
drurytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thanks for the question and answer, i was going to ask the same question this morning. While tryimg to shower, the water would occaionally just trickle, yes just drip from the shower head. We are at Brookings Harbor RV park on Oregon coast and they have low low water pressure when everyone else is showering.
Thanks for the answer. DW turned on pump and then there was pressure.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
We did that for the rest of our stay....Not sure but I think if must take water from both sources, the tank and the outside to make better pressure. It seems that the tank lasted a lot longer then it does then just on the tank alone. Could be just my imagination but that's what I think. But then too, we did not run the on board pump all the time just for showers.