Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
3750FL QUESTIONS

Hi to all! I'm new here and sure have appreciated all of the helpful hints and advise that is available on this site. I have seen so many mods that I would like to do that it is a bit overwhelming! Unfortunately my DH is never quite as enthused about these things as I, so I am learning myself.

To begin, I have two questions/issues. The bathroom in my unit has a door that opens right into the toilet. Bangs against it if not careful. I thought of the hinge stops, but the hinge is very small on these doors so I see that is not an option. The door is a bit off the floor, so not sure a store bought wege would work and it would have to go behind the door which would be awkward. Has anyone noticed this issue, and if so what do you do?

Secondly, the front exterior door opens against the awning arm and has no latch to secure it open in windy conditions. Has anyone experience a fix for this? Not sure the standard latch would work here as the space between the door and the side of the 5th is bigger due to the awning arm - any ideas appreciated!

How difficult is it to install a solar battery minder? We had this on our motorhome and sure would be easier than hooking up a battery minder when the trailer is sitting!

I so appreciate all of your posts and if you have feedback on any of these problems I thank you in advance! I will try not to be a huge pain with bucket fulls of questions!

Thanks!
Jewels

Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not going to be of much help here, but we have not had trouble with the bathroom door against the toilet even though it is as you describe. We have had ours a couple of years (complete with teens) and have experienced no damage to the toilet or the door. With regards to the front door, our door is always open (we have vinyl on the screen door) and it has yet to be affected by the wind. The spring arm that holds the door is quite stout and the door will not contact the awning arm when open. I am not sure if this spring is adjustable. We have been through 30 mph winds at the beach with the front door open and no issues. Sorry that I have no suggestions, but can at least let you know our experience to date with the 3750
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I haven't had an issue with the bathroom door, it does bump against the stool. My front door has a gas stru attached to prevent hitting the awning arm
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Appreciate your feedback! We haven't been out in this yet, but I have just noticed that when people are going through they push the bathroom door into the toilet-my next thought was damaging to the door. As for the entry door, our motorhome door had to be latched open or would slam shut. Hopefully and given your experience that will not be a thought here. So glad to hear I have worried about those things for nothing!

Thanks again for your replies!

Jewels
Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Jewels... welcome to the MOC.

We have put bumpers or stops on many doors on our rig including cabinet doors in the kitchen. There are many sizes and styles and if you can get over some of the perceived ugliness then you might be able to install some of these in strategic positions to minimize damage. The choice is an ugly bumper or damage. While me and DW don't have issues with opening doors and cabinets because we use the rig all the time and learned how to prevent these, problems arise with others or visitors (especially the younger grandkids) who swing doors open with great speed, then BANG! Drives us nuts, too, but we've also learned to like the ugly bumpers and stops.

I can't help you on the solar minder. I do use a battery minder to keep my rig's battery conditioned and charged, but this is a pretty simple configuration.

One way to control door swing is to install stops the prevent the door from contacting the awning arms, rails etc.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Had the same door problems (both of them)with our old TT. The toilet one was fixed by putting a felt sticky disk on the toilet where the door hit it - the one you can get from just about any hardware store for furniture, etc. The outside door had a strange looking, long plastic latch that broke after a couple years and we never replaced. I've seen metal replacement ones at RV dealers, but never got around to getting one. Here's one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-11...rv+door+holder
Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
On my old 3750FL, we used little round felt pads (purchased at Lowes and has 3M on back) and stuck them where ever a door or cabinet could come in contact with something. Our front door had a gas strut that prevented it from hitting the awning. If yours his hitting, sounds like a warranty issue. Good luck
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
After reading.... Ditto Bingo's Post. Same experience.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Thanks again to you all for your feedback and especially thank you for your welcome! I think I'll try the felt on the bathroom door just for my sake! And I'll wait to see how the entry door behaves and go from there if need be.

Does anyone have a solar battery minder on their fifth wheel? I know it's common on motorhomes but wasn't sure about this application? I'll check out the net and see if it can even be done. Not a real wiring girl, but logical so I believe I can learn!

Thanks again to you all!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
No door problem ever! We love the floor plan . I did put magnetic door stops in bedroom! Works well! Used round "rubber bumpers on door if it hits toilet. Did same thing on the outside storage doors!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote