Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Dish Network boundries changes Dec 1 2006

I have Dish Net for my sat/pro, I also have everything that can be added to the dish programing, except PPV and the special sports programs. when we were in Shasta County, Sep thru Oct, all of our regular standard TV programs for the greater LA area we were able to watch up there. when we went to Q-site we were able to raceive all our regular standard broadcast stations all day long, then around 1945 hrs. every night we would then loose all our standard broadcast stations with a message saying signal was not being received. but in the morning we would have all our stations again and the proceedure would repeat at 1945 hrs. that day. after many hours on the phone with Dish Net and them not being able to fix the problem they blamed the old receiver saying it was broken.
So when at the RV Show at Q-site I asked a person that was selling all kinds of parts for Dish Net and Direct TV and gave him this question and his answer was this.
As of Dec 1st 2006 the local broadcast station will have a 300 mile radius from your home location all other Dish Network programs will still be received as usual, he mentioned that something about new government regulations on standard broadcast channels. but Dish net could provid a phone number of a lacal Dish Net provider and get the local channels in the new area. he did not say anything about extra charges.
So has anybody else had this problem while away from there home?

TT2

Old 02-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
This is not new. Dish started limiting my locals(Houston)to a 300 mile radius in May, 2002. In your instance, there was still a subscription that allowed for what was termed as an East/Coast feed, which was either New York or LA. This has been discussed on other threads quite extensively about the problems with Dish and the cable companies.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Dutch and Di
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6741
This is one thing we have heard that some RVer's are doing. When they move to an area where their "locals" are now out of range, they call DISH and just tell them to change to zip code such and such. They then have the local channels for where they are. When they either go back to the old area or move on again they call and change the zip code.
We did this short term while we were waiting for the All Amer. east and west coast feeds to show up on our DISH programming. We used it in AZ, NM and TX. It may be worth a try. Diana
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
When this all came up awhile back, I went to a recommended website and "wrote my congressperson" that I wanted to retain my local channels or East/West feeds while traveling. I recently received a form-type letter (stock answer) that this was some kind of penalty/punishment against DishNet (EchoStar) for something they did several years ago and never corrected as court ordered. I don't know how DierctTV's local channels are (probably the same if it's a Federal mandate). I've been a DishNet customer for 10+ years, but I'm thinking about switching to DirectTV for an equipment upgrade, easier dish pointing while RVin', some promotional free programming for new customers, etc. As much as I hate to say it, it just may be time to change.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Vanman, I had Direct TV and had nothing but trouble from them for the trailer receiver, they used to require a phone line conected to the receiver which is kinda hard for a trailer on the move ( A very long cord ) and they used to clasify as another account, things might have change in that area. and calling them on a weekend made my cell phone min go crazy waiting for an answer from them. I'll stay where Im at right now and just put up with the 300 mile radius restriction which I think is stupid and our guvornment meddeling in.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
T T2: I guess each person has their own experiences with DirectTV. I've been with them since 97 and have seldom hooked even the stick house receiver to a telephone line. I never had need to use PPV, so it's never been an issue. DirectTV used to be cheaper than Dish Network and have a little more flexibility on their packages , but that's really not the case anymore. If you do loose reception for some reason, I do like DirectTV's ability to reset the signal via telephone without waiting to talk to a warm body.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Trailer Trash 2,
We've had DirecTV since 2001 in our rig and have never had it connected to a phone line. We've never been told we had to connect it to a phone line. If I remember correctly, the phone line just allows you to select PPV shows directly with your remote control.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Trailer Trash 2,
We've had DirecTV since 2001 in our rig and have never had it connected to a phone line. We've never been told we had to connect it to a phone line. If I remember correctly, the phone line just allows you to select PPV shows directly with your remote control.

Orv
__________________________________________________ ___
and
Desilguy wrote

T T2: I guess each person has their own experiences with DirectTV. I've been with them since 97 and have seldom hooked even the stick house receiver to a telephone line. I never had need to use PPV, so it's never been an issue. DirectTV used to be cheaper than Dish Network and have a little more flexibility on their packages , but that's really not the case anymore. If you do loose reception for some reason,I do like DirectTV's ability to reset the signal via telephone without waiting to talk to a warm body.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Well it looks like they have changed, but to late for me.
I'm going back to 1997.
I had a very expensive set up, all Sony equiptment, including the dish at home, and an extra set up for the Terry 5er. suposeadly for an extra $5.00 per Month on top of the regular fee, I was supose to be able to use the extra unit for the trailer. so I then went on a campout when I got to my destination and had everthing all hooked up ready to rock-n-roll and NO TV. after sitting on the cel for 25 to 30 min I gave up. when I got home after the trip I set the whole thing up in the back yard then called Direct TV, and and asked how come it didn't work after paying for 2 months. they asked me if the phone line was hooked up to the receiver. I said no, they said it had to be. well to make a very long story short after I called the company ever bad word I could think of, I canselled my membership and got a refund, then I took all of there receivers I bought and paid for disconected them put them in the trash can and went to Dish net the same day and never had any problems with there membership or the extra receivers, in all this time. Oh well it's up to what you want and like in the long and short of it. mine is Dish Net.