Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
JasonViau

M.O.C. #20939
Battery Disconnect for winterization

This is going to be the first time winterizing my 2017 3810MS Legacy. I'm a little concerned with the electrical system though since the entire thing is controlled by a computer. I turned off the battery disconnect and an alarm started sounding out of the self leveling control box area above the battery. Not sure if this is normal or of it holds a residual charge or what. I can not find anything in the owners Manuel regarding turning off, powering down the electrical components for winterization.
Any guidance would be appreciated. Also, I was going to put a trickle charger on the battery for 12v 2amp and was thinking I could walk away. Should I completely remove the battery or leave a trickle on it?

JasonViau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you are going to have power available for a charger, instead, just plug the trailer in and leave it powered up. The smart charger in these units will keep your battery healthy all winter long. If you don't have maintenance free batteries, you might want to check them a couple times over the winter.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine stays plugged in year round when in storage. I check water and typically add some 2-3 times per year. Has worked for me since new in 2007.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Gary-Alberta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21650
BB_TX
How cold does it get where you store your unit. I live in Alberta, could be -30F, sometime in the winter. We intend to head down to California in January so I am not too concerned, but I have pulled the battery out for now. If there is some agreement that I can leave the battery installed with the rig plugged in, I would much rather do that. Our rig sits in our driveway so easily accessible. i would rather put the battery back in today, than wait for the bitter cold, January in Alberta.
2018 Montana 3120RL
Gary-Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Not nearly that cold. Typically low teens with an occasional dip into single digits. And mine is in covered, but not enclosed, storage. I am sure some of your northern neighbors will chime in on their cold weather experience.

Interesting info.
A fully charged battery has a freezing point around -80 °F while a discharged battery has a freezing point around 20 °F.

From this site.
https://www.batterysystems.net/winte...-storage-tips/
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
kencare
Established Member

M.O.C. #9836
Gary, I have never removed a battery, always plugged in. lived in Saskatoon and now Medicine Hat, so can relate to the cold temps.
kencare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Gary-Alberta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21650
Kencare
Thanks for the advice. I will put the battery back in and plug the rig in. I had read on the forum somewhere that the trickle charge in the rig might overcharge the battery, so I was a little anxious. I would much rather install the battery now, while it is pleasantly 12C/54F than wait until I am ready to leave in January. Brrrrrr
2018 Montana 3120RL
Gary-Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have always removed ours keep in the basement charged every month in later years use a batterry tender trickle charger. Battery was in a nice warm place over the winter.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
If you can run a cord to your unit with no problem with snow removal or rodents eating the wire's insulation while buried in a snow bank, just leave it plugged in (that battery can do wonders to your back while pulling it out too)
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #10
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
1) Leveling computer and jacks are connected directly to the batteries - you should see an inline 10 amp fuse (or maybe bigger). The battery disconnect is for the coach, not coach and chassis.

2) If you're winterizing, remove the batteries and put them on a trickle charger at home. Batteries left in a coach in freezing temps may hold a partial charge next season but will let you down when you least expect it. Don let your batteries freeze. Here in Reno we got lows down to 5 F. That will kill any battery.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Fully charged batteries will NOT freeze. If you have (reliable) shore power where your camper is stored, simply leave it plugged in and check the battery water level once a month or so , it will be fine barring any kind of issue like the converter going up or a bad connection Etc. All the campers I have had, have stayed plugged in 24/7 for the lest 12 years or so. I did have one battery go bad over the winter. I noticed it from the strong smell of sulfur in the pole barn were it is stored.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Agreed, but most RV storage lots don't have 'shore power'.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
If you don't have shore power then you don't have much choice but to remove the battery. I have shore power in an enclosed building but i use a Deltran 2 amp charger that i have used for several years and works great but plugging in to shore power is just as good. I guess you might say i'm giving my converter a rest when not on shore power.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote