Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
? about installing internal water filter

I just received my new water filter to complete my kitchen sink faucet and under counter filter project. It came with one of those saddle clamps, you know the one that is usually meant for copper pipe?
My question is, will this type of clamp work on the plastic water supply lines we have, or is the pipe too soft?

I have plenty of length to try it and be a guinea pig, but would appreciate feedback if someone else has been there already.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I would go to a hardware store and get the proper Tee for the plastic piping. the saddle clamp will not work on the plastic pipe.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Asking for trouble on plastic pipe.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
After looking closer at the parts it came with, I'll be going to the hardware store looking for the right parts. I want a shut off valve too....one of those - if you're gonna do it, do it right kind of things.

Thanks...
Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozzie,

If you are talking about the micron filter that goes under the sink, mine came complete with the slide-on/one way plastic connectors. These connectors allow you to push the end 'in' to be able to replace the filter...just did mine the other day. My model is the one that CW sells. http://tinyurl.com/2q8wxd

Swat...!!!!Swat...!!!!Swat...!!!!Swat...!!!!Swat.. .!!!!Swat...!!!!Swat...!!!!Swat...!!!!Swat...!!!!S wat...!!!!
Darn, guess I need a bigger fly spanker!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I'm doing mine a little different. I have a tendency to overdo everything, so I got a multi stage mongo filter setup for houses.

Just got back from the hardware store with all the fittings and valves to get it hooked up. Now I just have to build up the motivation to go out and do it - I just got over the bruises from the last time I oiled up to get in there...
Old 10-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Ozzie, we had one of those "saddle clamp" things and the flow was never right. Put in a "t"valve and you will be much happier.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Thanks...I did get the appropriate t shutoff valve along with the adapters needed.
I like to be able to adapt to any situation, so this way I'll be able to have the water on without the filters in place too.
Living in Minnesota you get to be exposed to more elements and cold weather camping if you're so inclined, so I like to be flexible with my setups.
All the parts are now together...just trying to build the courage to get under there.
Good advice from my buds here as usual...much appreciated.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Put a carbon and ceramic filter system in the MH. It came with saddle clamp with integral valve and I just put a piece of copper pipe in the line using a couple of those plastic-copper joiners. It took about 20 mins and I had no problems. The flow through the 3/8 piping and faucet is less than the sink taps but if it were stronger it would probably splash as it isn't aerated. My problem was keeping the filter housings seated on the O-rings when driving as they vibrated and leaked. I got used to turning the system off and releasing the pressure. I put a small pan under the filters to catch a the few drips that fell when I parked and turned the shut off valve back on.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote