Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Magic Chef Conversion

Greetings, about a year ago I converted my Atwood stove over to electronic ignition mainly for the oven. I used a Home Depot Char-Broil Igniter and the conversion went smoothly. However, I have a friend that would like to convert his Magic Chef to electronic ignition. Seems to me when the thread was going strong on this topic that someone was talking about a Magic Chef. My question, has anyone converted the Magic Chef to spark ignition and I was wondering if it was about the same as the Atwood. Any info would be appreciated.

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Installing a ignitor in a Atwood and Magic Chef is about the the same. The main deference is the the Magic Cheif must have the existing spark generator hole enlarged and you will also need to make a bracket for attaching the ignitor electrode. Remove the six screws holding the stove in place and pull it out about 6" to feed the wire from the oven up to the spark generator. There is no need to remove the stove completely or disconnect the gas line.

Rich Beavers (PapaBeav) and I installed several at Quartzsite last month for other MOC members.

You can get the needed parts from

BUY-IT-Now-Store.com

KENMORE Gas Grill Ignitor Kit Spark Generator 80014484
Kenmore Sears 03610 Grill Replacement Ignitor Electrode 47" Wire
Kenmore 146.1622201 Gas Grill Replacement Grill Ignitor Electrode

nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This is for the stove top burners... does anyone have a successful electronic pilot kit for the oven? I have the mechanical rotating spark ignitor for the stove top that came with the stove.

However, lighting the oven pilot is an irritation at best. For some it's downright unbearable. Any ideas? This device would have to work in conjunction with the reignition that's used to fire up the oven as it tries to maintain the oven temperature.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
The electronic ignitor is used to light both the stove top burners and oven, it replaces the piezo lighter
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
We haven't been able to get the electronic ignition to light the pilot. There is no flame to heat the diastat and the spark is not hot enough to open the valve in the pilot. What did you all do to make it work?
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Lynn & Pat, The tip of ignitor electrode needs to be located between the thermocouple and the scoop like thing below it and the spark from the electrode should jump between each one. Getting the electrode adjusted can be difficult. To light the oven, turn the oven knob to pilot, push in and hold until the air is out of the line, usually 5 to 10 seconds and then push the electronic generator button and pilot should light.
Rich Beavers can explain this a lot better, he worked for Pacific Gas & Electric for many years is a expert on gas appliances.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ah, the old use the ignitor to light the pilot, but the pilot will still remain on. I don't have any kind of ignitor, piezo or otherwise right now. I reach in with a long lighter.

That might help a little in that one does not need to contort like gumby to get the pilot lit, especially if one turns the oven to OFF instead of Pilot right after using it. Trying to reach in there to relight it will burn, if this is trying right after using the oven.

Now if I can only use just the oven part, hmmmm.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Perfect !!! Instalation went perfectly except that my friend had to buy the igniter from Lowes as they did not have a long enough electrode. Ended up buying a complete kit from Walmart which included an igniter (which we didn't use because it was too large to fit in the stove) but included two long reach electodes. Had to get the adjustment of the spark just right (Thanks to Don & Joy's adjustment tip) and it lights every time now.
Thanks again guys !!!